Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't remember having ever seen a Chinese car fitted with AMT, even though some newer SUVs from JAC and Lifan now feature AT as an option.
I've driven several. BYD, MG (UK brand, but SAIC produced) and a few others use the things. I was going to say the Chery QQ (the infamous Daewoo Matiz/Spark clone) had one, but I've belatedly recalled that it was a sequential stick-shift with a clutch.

Quote:
Lower cost of maintenance compared to a conventional automatic has attracted mostly truck and bus fleets here, but in cars the AMT is still pointed out to be somewhat "inferior" to a conventional automatic, and most people dislike its rough behavior coming to a stop. Well, at least it applies to single-clutch ones (hadn't tried a dual-clutch yet).
Dual clutches are mostly "lifetime maintenance free"... which means once the clutches burn out, you throw the whole thing away. Terrible from a fleet point of view. And those on which you can replace the clutches, the fact that there are two makes replacement costs $$$.

Having said that... appears replacements aren't that expensive anymore for Ford DCTs... but they're still terrible transmissions.

Quote:
Are you serious? Starter clutch like earlier generations of Scania's Opticruise?
Cures the biggest problem of the AMT... namely poor/slow starting from a stop and jerky low speed travel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread