Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I'd "test drive" one...but only until the first accident.

...then I probably wouldn't have to worry about it (or anything else thereafter).

...analogy: Hindenberg is to hydrogen as Smart is to too small.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

...then I probably wouldn't have to worry about it (or anything else thereafter).

You could say the same about motorcycles...

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
The Following User Says Thank You to NiHaoMike For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Roadster - '04 Smart Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

Are you suggesting that the Smart ForTwo is a dangerous implementation of small? If so, you probably need to do some research. It's one of the safest cars in its class and is renowned for being so. If you mean it's small and is therefore unable to be safe, just remember that big does not equal safe. If you're just trying to belittle Smart drivers, I could say that Hindenberg is to safe flight as the Pontiac Vibe is to economy.....
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
...beats walking...

...a "motorcycle" is merely a self-propelled "hood ornament" for cars!

...uh, can we recognize a "tongue-in-cheek" analogy when you read one? My opinion is it's WAY too small to provide adequate safety at OUR (USA) highway speeds should an accident occur. Obviously, in europe, with its lower speeds (but equally insane drivers!), this MASS vs. SPEED ratio would probably be sufficient to live with.

...and, yes, the Vibe is merely a "gasoline"-powered go-kart, assembled by laid-off americans in a Toyota factory, wearing a defunt PONTIAC badge, but at least it has (a) far more safety-restraint airbags and (b) better MPG than the '99 Malibu that we were driving!

...it's all relative.

Last edited by gone-ot; 10-06-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lower speeds in Europe? Here in the UK, the national speed limit is 70mph. In mainland Europe, national speed limits are normally 120kph (~75mph) or 130kph (~80mph). I believe you must be rather ill-informed or a troll. You realise the Smart has four airbags in its "unsafe" design, right?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
andylaurence -

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
Lower speeds in Europe? Here in the UK, the national speed limit is 70mph. In mainland Europe, national speed limits are normally 120kph (~75mph) or 130kph (~80mph). I believe you must be rather ill-informed or a troll. You realise the Smart has four airbags in its "unsafe" design, right?
It's a pretty common perception in the USA, but the Smart seems to be selling well anyway. The argument here is that the overall larger/heavier makeup of the US auto fleet puts the Smart in a more "dangerous" F=MA environment. But I do think you will agree that the Smart was explicitly *over* engineered for safety to the point where the "exoskeleton" is part of the overt design ... by design, .

I just wish they offered a real stickshift on this side of the pond, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You're right. Smart knew people would question the safety of such a small car, which is why they made it so safe and made the safety cell visible from outside. As for a manual gearbox, I don't think it needs one (the lack of clutch pedal was why I bought it) but I do think it'd be better off with a 5 speed gearbox than the 3*2 speed it has. The lower gears are too close ratio and the higher gears are too far apart. It all stems from the car using a 3 speed gearbox and a 2 speed final drive. Still, it just means an extra gear change, in reality.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
...guilty! the last time I was in either Keflavik, Iceland; Prestwick or Ayr, Scotland; Weisbaden or Frankfurt, Germany; Bodo, Norway; or Paris, France (ugh!) was back in 1965...so, yes, my knowledge & experience are "dated."

...BTW the '09 Vibe/Matrix has front pillar, steering wheel & dash, and side-seat airbags...six in front alone.

...and, I test drove a Smart before we decided on the Vibe.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But why all this emphasis on hitting stuff?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
id honestly feel safer in a smart than my crx