Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
the red one almost looks like the grey paint on the alloy has been scrubbed off and that they might be polished up
This one popped back up this week and I called again. After being somewhat rude and hanging up on me last time, they said the buyers thought would take it when I called before lowballed them and didn't take the car. That really made me think something might be up. So, I pressed them for better, more detailed pics and the VIN for a history report before going any further. Upon reviewing the photos(which now, they were courteous enough to supply cosmetic defect photos as well),I found that there was shoddy paintwork, body damage and a fair amount of rust.

Additionally when asked about the wheels, the guy told me he painted them with silver/chrome paint and that he does that with all his cars. I also noted when googling his phone number that he has had 8-10 cars for sale recently.

I asked him to clarify for sure about the miles and he said as far as he knew, they were accurate and original at 135k. However, the AutoCheck report tells a whole other story.

After telling them about the serious mileage discrepancy and telling them that based on the body damage and rust, that I was not interested at their asking price. Then, they wanted to know what I was offering. I then asked them what they had been previously offered to which I really didn't think I was going to get and honest answer. They responded with $2350 which based on an original asking price of $2800, I didn't feel was a lowball offer at all considering the "real" condition that potential buyers would actually see when they got there to see the car in person. So I felt that was actually a very good offer based on the photos and Mileage discrepancy. I told them I would not pay that and they should contact the person that offered that and sell it to them because for that car, it was a very good offer. Of course, they did not respond any further.

The Following User Says Thank You to TwoBryans For This Useful Post:
Ryland (01-26-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
He is hiding stuff, lots of it. 247K miles in 2008 means that's not the original odo/speedo cluster, seems to me. If it were me, I would not buy it without a careful in person inspection with a buddy more knowledgeable than me along.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
He is hiding stuff, lots of it. 247K miles in 2008 means that's not the original odo/speedo cluster, seems to me. If it were me, I would not buy it without a careful in person inspection with a buddy more knowledgeable than me along.

I'm confident he knew, as he was careful with his choice of words. He also didn't want to deal with me at first because I was long distance, until he couldn't get the car sold locally. At least he sent me pics of the bad stuff after being pressed for it. I don't think he would have liked me very much if I had flown down there and found the stuff in the pics and not been told about it. He is obviously hustling cars, but I don't care about that. I just don't want to get jerked around or screwed if I can prevent it.

Biggist problem I am running into is that when the car is long distance(as most are), they sell quickly if they are in decent shape. The ones that are a pos seem to hang around and I don't want a pos. This is quite difficult to find a nice, clean car at a fair price(or just about any price for that matter) where the seller will work with me to make a deal long distance.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

More things that i find that fall out of what i'm looking for. Been thinking about getting a motor cycle during spring for commute.

connecticut
94 civic vx 49k miles no rust cold ac $5,000
1994 Honda Civic VX Hatchback 49,000 miles
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
More things that i find that fall out of what i'm looking for. Been thinking about getting a motor cycle during spring for commute.

connecticut
Never seen one with the antenna on the right side. Wheels are not original VX. Might be a DX he thinks will bring more money if it was a VX.

regards
Mech
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

connecticut
Contacted the seller at 2:24PM EST and the seller responded back at 2:57PM that a sale was pending. They did at least agree to contact me if the deal fell through, but I am not hopeful that I will hear anything else.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Never seen one with the antenna on the right side. Wheels are not original VX. Might be a DX he thinks will bring more money if it was a VX.

regards
Mech
Agreed! Lots of question marks on this one for a car advertised as a one owner 49k original mile car. I was trying, but the seller did not really seem to want to communicate after a deal was struck.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have still been watching this one and as recently as yesterday, it was still being advertised as 135000 miles even though I sent him the AutoCheck documentation a week ago. He is obviously fishing for a buyer and plans to screw them by not disclosing that the actual miles are unknown.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoOhio

bump

BUMP
BUMP
BUMP
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #40 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:

connecticut
Craig's list says this listing was deleted by it's author. He/she was hiding something(s) and now is hiding the whole car! That's better for the world probably.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread