Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

C3Killer - '94 Geo Metro Baller Mobile
90 day: 55.44 mpg (US)
XFI Cam installed tonight and WOW!!!!

Just got done with my install, fired her up, and took her around the block and all I can say is wow. I think this will definitely help my mileage! I can shift 500rpm sooner! If anyone has any questions, just ask, but one recommendation, make a more permanent mark on your timing belt. When I was taking everything apart, I made a line on my timing belt with a carpenters pencil, and when I slipped the cam out, I noticed that my hands took off the pencil mark!!! So I had to eyeball where I 'thought' the timing mark was on the cam! Luckly, I put it in exactly in the right spot!! So I didn't have to redo anything, she fired right up, no pinging or anything. Tomorrow I will put her in time more accurately with my timing light. I will list the mileage improvements in my fuel log, but I just filled up so it may take a couple weeks. I definately recommend this mod to anyone who is wanting extra mileage. Not even tuning it I can feel a big difference! Thanks for everyone I have been asking questions to! With your knowledge everything went very smoothly!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bertha - '00 Toyota Land Cruiser
Congrats on the new cam. How big of a job was it to swap out?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Sounds like pretty much the same reaction I had when I installed my XFi cam. A noticeable change in the character of the engine - much happier to work lower down in the rev range.

Glad it went well for you.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
It's mpguino time.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I am wanting to swap in an XFi cam on my Metro, but basically been wanting to drive it for now since it's finally all fixed up. I suppose I could locate a cam somewhere and do it for a winter project.

Does an advanced cam sprocket give you a similar change on these cars or is it better to just do the cam?

C3Killer, I am glad you got one and like the improvements! I have heard no negative posts about doing this swap. Be sure to find the letters "X, F, and i" and put them after your Metro label on the back

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
C3Killer, I am glad you got one and like the improvements! I have heard no negative posts about doing this swap. Be sure to find the letters "X, F, and i" and put them after your Metro label on the back
I was going to find a pinstriper, and have him free hand an XFI after my Metro decal in back.

pint: Congrats on the new cam. How big of a job was it to swap out?

It wasn't a big job at all. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but the only tools needed were a dremel, pair of pliers, and a 10mm wrench. Thats it! Its basically remove the valve cover, take out the 7 bolts holding the cam in, mark the cam timing mark on your belt in something other than a pencil so that if you touch it you will still be able to see it, slip the belt off the cam, remove base cam, replace with XFI cam, put everything back and your done! It took me longer because my valve cover was STUCK! Those 4 acorn nuts on top of the valve cover have these rubber lockers or something, when the nut is tightened, the rubber locks around the bolt to seal it. Those were a pain, but definately a DIY mod! My cars idle has increased also. I figure its because I have a lot more torque now, the engine is running a little easier. I need to adjust the throttle a bit to slower down, and the timing is around 12 degrees now, I will try advancing it a bit and see how she sounds.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Dude, congrats. It will be pretty sweet to see what the actual numbers look like. How did you come across the cam?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

teamswift.net, someone posted in the for sale section that they saw one at their local craigslist, I contacted him, and he was willing to ship so badda bing badda boom. Got it in on the 12th, put it in on the 13th. Easy as pie! Not bad for $125 + shipping. I was looking to get mine reground 'to xfi specs' but hesitated too long. SuperF1y over on teamswift.net has the connections to get 'economy' cams. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

someone had XFI decals on ebay last week.

hope noboy is too devious to re-badge and sell a car.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you are looking for an XFI, make sure to check the VIN and engine to make sure what your getting is what is advertised! That would be devious. I was trying to think of something clever that would let everyone know its not a true XFI, but rather a wanna be. I thought the pin striping was a good idea. Everyone knows that the factory just used decals, and if the XFI was just a little oversized. Yeah, something like that.

Reply  Post New Thread