Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2023, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
How to Determine Most Efficient Tire

Hi guys, I'm looking at new tires and unfortunately the specs available are just not that great to compare which tire is most efficient. I know LRR is the big spec to effect efficiency, but it seems weight is the only spec I can find and even that is difficult as I have to really dive into the Google to find it.

Is there a way to compare which tire is more efficient? I know they measure LRR in kg/t, but that spec is just not provided anywhere.

If it helps, I'm looking at a 265/70R17 tire although the width and height are subject to change depending on what's available.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2023, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Start here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckduckgo
https://www.tireagent.com › blog › how-to-find-the-most-fuel-efficient-tires
How to Find the Most Fuel Efficient Tires - Tire Agent
The Energy Saver A/S is Michelin's most fuel-efficient tire. It is well suited for those looking to lower CO2 emissions from a tire that is stable and durable. >>IMAGE<< CrossContact LX20 (ECO Plus Technology) The CrossContact LX20 is fuel saving tire for light truck and SUV tire from Continental. It is designed to save fuel for your light ...

https://www.autoguide.com › buyers-guide-the-best-fuel-efficient-tires-low-rolling-resistance-tires
Buyer's Guide: The 10 Best Fuel-Efficient Tires and Low Rolling ...
20 Mar 20221. Editor's Pick: Pirelli Scorpion Verde 2. Continental Crosscontact LX20 EcoPlus 3. Bridgestone Ecopia 4. Dunlop Enasave 5. Michelin Energy Saver A/S 6. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 7. Hankook...

https://www.copilotsearch.com › posts › how-to-pick-best-tires-for-fuel-efficiency
How To Pick The Best Tires For Fuel Efficiency - CoPilot
7 Mar 2022Published 7 Mar 2022 in Ownership Photo by Robert Laursoo on Unsplash Did you know that the type of tires you choose for your vehicle can have a direct effect on fuel efficiency? Tire quality matters, and choosing the right set of tires can be a wise investment in your vehicle's fuel economy.

https://www.tires-easy.com › blog › fuel-efficient-tires
October 2023 Fuel Efficient Tires - Right for my Vehicle?
According to Goodyear Tire's internal testing, you can save up to 2,600 mi./4,000 km worth of gas over the life of 4 tires**. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus is another popular super fuel-efficient tire model Bridgestone says it can save you up to 20 miles per gas tank compared to a typical Bridgestone tire.

https://simpletire.com › learn › tire-buying-guides › fuel-efficient-tires
Fuel Efficient Tires: Benefits & Availability | SimpleTire
The Michelin brand offers fuel-efficient tires appropriate for cars, trucks, and SUVs. Bridgestone also offers fuel-efficient tires in a few different tire models. Pirelli, Goodyear, Firestone, and Kumho are just a few of the brands that possess multiple tire models that qualify as low rolling resistance tires enabling

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (10-14-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a standardized (normalized?) set of data that can be used to compare LRR tires against each other. Or at least, I wasn't able to find one. I ended up going down a rabbit-hole of internet searches, reading lots of reviews and stuff.

My Prius needed new tires, but the OEM ones (Firestone Fuel Fighter) weren't readily available. And the few places that had them were charging an arm and a leg for them. Hence the internet rabbit hole.

My take-away was that most of the big names (Firestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc) have fuel efficient tires. And they seem to be roughly comparable. Once again, I wasn't able to find accurate data to do a proper analysis. So this is just a subjective judgement.

I ended up buying Goodyear Assurance tires to replace my worn out Firestones, and the fuel economy seems to be roughly the same. I bought the Goodyear tires, simply because they were the least expensive at the time (at Tire Rack).
Old 10-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
From the research I’ve done, the Bridgestone ecopias and Michelin energy savers are a huge gap above the competition by several mpg points

From what I’ve read and observed, the newest version of the Bridgestone ecopia plus tires give better mpg than the energy savers. But the energy savers beat the regular ecopias without the plus. Also the energy saver a/s beat the summer energy savers for some reason

I personally switched tk the ecopias plus tires from the energy saver a/s and would say they are about the same, but slightly better mpg and better traction. Downsize is the tread life in the real world is almost half of the energy savers.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Interesting. If you're buying tires twice as often, to save a couple mpg, is that a false economy?
Old 10-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I have determined that a worn out ecopoia 442 is about as efficient as an energy saver A/S. Tires are most at their most fuel efficient when they are on the wear bars.
Now there's a new style of energy saver tire with a new tread pattern, don't know how these stack up again the ecopoia 442.
These 2 tires have been the top 2 for fuel economy. It looks all testing an observation support that.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I have determined that a worn out ecopoia 442 is about as efficient as an energy saver A/S. Tires are most at their most fuel efficient when they are on the wear bars.
Now there's a new style of energy saver tire with a new tread pattern, don't know how these stack up again the ecopoia 442.
These 2 tires have been the top 2 for fuel economy. It looks all testing an observation support that.
the regular ecopias or the plus? the plus versions they said have a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy over the regular ecopia
Old 10-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Start here:
Thanks freebeard. That tireagent site at least gave me a way to filter out for fuel efficient tires. I still don't know how to compare one fuel efficient tire against the other, but at least I have something to go off of.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-14-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at new tires and unfortunately the specs available are just not that great to compare which tire is most efficient. I know LRR is the big spec to effect efficiency, but it seems weight is the only spec I can find and even that is difficult as I have to really dive into the Google to find it.

Is there a way to compare which tire is more efficient? I know they measure LRR in kg/t, but that spec is just not provided anywhere.

If it helps, I'm looking at a 265/70R17 tire although the width and height are subject to change depending on what's available.
Jeff,

Here's a link to an earlier discussion I started concerning RR regulations.

Ecomodder.com:
Tire Fuel Efficiency Consumer Information thread

There has been some movement since the last entry: California published a proposed regulation that was unworkable. Part of the proposal was a database listing the rolling resistance of every tire sold in California. They are now in discussions with the US Tire Manufacturers Association about how to make it workable.

In the meantime, NHTSA has another new date for publication of their proposed regulation: Dec, 2023. I think they won't publish anything this time either, just they have since 2010!

But I found a database of EU labels:

Barry's Tire Tech: EU Tire Label Database

This database supposedly was last updated in 2021. I don't know how complete it was even back then.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-19-2023), jeff88 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
the regular ecopias or the plus? the plus versions they said have a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy over the regular ecopia
I don't remember them being plus and the date code said they were from 2010.
If "+20%" were true for the ecopoia plus then they would be about equal to the energy savers.
But the energy savers have been updated too as of last year.

Reply  Post New Thread