Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #41 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
[General comment: I used to frequent a board like this often enough that they made me a moderator. I saw people get aggravated at seeing the same question umpteen gazillion times. The ones getting aggravated tended to be frequent visitors themselves. I suggested that they spend the energy making FAQs rather than ranting at n00bs. We got some good FAQs.]
As well may be, but there's a problem with FAQs.

The person, for whom the FAQ is targeted, must expend an amount of energy similar to the amount of energy needed to do a search. Much simpler to do this: "OP: I'm too lazy to do a search, so I'll just ask the question I want answered." (heh - I like that)

I'm willing to bet that quite a few of us curmudgeons happen to be in highly technical fields, and suffer from RTFM-itis. That might just get worse if FAQs were made.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Op said:
my point of view is 2 mpg for tires plus 20 mpg for all the other miscellaneous stuff is big bucks! If any specific mod on a vehicle did 5 mpg or 25% of a change against epa's number dont you think they would do that stock?

I really hate to go here but.....
THe op doent believe that larger tires work to increase mpg. (which is ok....all are allowed there own beliefs)
BUT he nneds to do the research to change his beliefs. Being 'polite' wont fix it. I could post 10 links and he wouldn't read them.

The fact (and I saw this ealier but didnt see the significance until now....) was when he challenged Mech on if he REALLY got better mileage with larger tires.

Which all goes back to my original point....wouldn't op like to learn the concept behind the answer????

THe answer is no!!!!!!!!
I laid uot the parameters for larger tires on trucks and instead of engaging and discussing those parameters he posts the above comment.

so to answer his comment: ITS A TRUCK!!!! not an eco box. Trucks are suppose to pull not get great mileage.
Econerds arent even in the bell curve of truck buyers.

So back to my original question HOW'ED THAT SEARCH WORK FOR YOU!!!????????

maybe.....just maybe, if you got off your lazy axx and actually had searched and researched and seen the actual aba tests of your question, you wouldn't have posted that lame comment.

And why am I pissed now?.....because I read you like a book at your first post.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
[General comment: I used to frequent a board like this often enough that they made me a moderator. I saw people get aggravated at seeing the same question umpteen gazillion times. The ones getting aggravated tended to be frequent visitors themselves. I suggested that they spend the energy making FAQs rather than ranting at n00bs. We got some good FAQs.]
1. get off the noobie whining. op is NOT a noobie.
2. op doent believe that large tires work.
3. op had 75 posts VERY detailed.
4. op gets 30+ mpg in a 4x4 tacoma

And I not only mod but am a admin on another site. I get it. But I also get lazy.

Op has just now started to engage...barely.

Nice thing about this forum are the thank yous. It's a very good way to keep score of who is REALLY being helpful. Oh and the thread counts.
I'll take my 20,000 reads and 15% thank you ratio.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:

Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding and having fun

Ol' Honda - '84 Honda Civic 1500 S
90 day: 37.03 mpg (US)
Well since I apologized for some previous stupidity yet you still want to ream me for my original post I have no idea what you want me to say. If you can't get off your high horses and actually help me then stop posting in the thread. That simple or I can close it. I have given you all the info you asked and you still are pissed that it wasn't included first I apologized for that.. Don't know what else to do besides kiss your a$$. Now I'm asking who thinks an upsize would be too much based on the truck?
Frank lee have any thoughts on final drive ratio?

Oh and I never said I believed bigger tires don't increase mileage?

Guess there's no getting past things with you guys(not everyone)

Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Op said:
my point of view is 2 mpg for tires plus 20 mpg for all the other miscellaneous stuff is big bucks! If any specific mod on a vehicle did 5 mpg or 25% of a change against epa's number dont you think they would do that stock?

I really hate to go here but.....
THe op doent believe that larger tires work to increase mpg. (which is ok....all are allowed there own beliefs)
BUT he nneds to do the research to change his beliefs. Being 'polite' wont fix it. I could post 10 links and he wouldn't read them.

The fact (and I saw this ealier but didnt see the significance until now....) was when he challenged Mech on if he REALLY got better mileage with larger tires.

Which all goes back to my original point....wouldn't op like to learn the concept behind the answer????

THe answer is no!!!!!!!!
I laid uot the parameters for larger tires on trucks and instead of engaging and discussing those parameters he posts the above comment.

so to answer his comment: ITS A TRUCK!!!! not an eco box. Trucks are suppose to pull not get great mileage.
Econerds arent even in the bell curve of truck buyers.
the comment about 2 mpg was that to me thats great! not that tires dont work didnt say anything about him not gaining 2 mpg just said that is a big enough difference for me to make it worth it.

I dont consider a tacoma a truck its like a small suv I already told you if I need to haul anything or tow anything dont you think I would use my 1 ton diesel?? at any given time it will probably have only 200lbs of gear in the back when im doing trips. thats it..

question? does it make my sayings more effective if i post them like this?????????
wow what a jackXXX.
must require tooooo much time to use elementry school punctuatuion..
-mcrews
MY PUNCTUATION?????????
GO SCREW YOURSELF!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #46 (permalink)

another thread by op.....

36.4 mpg in tacoma 4x4
-mcrews

you know I appreciate you bringing this up. if you will notice my start date was late April so if you think about it I have been ecomodding for about 2 1/2 months if any of you would put ego's aside and do what they tell you to do for your cars and I mean even the stuff you think looks ugly you would have not problems getting that mileage in a tacoma! the fact that I have some good results because I follow directions points in no way toward my technical knowledge Im 19 what do you expect? I'm not some super genuis that is defying laws of gravity?

that said if a 19 year old with no college and only following directions on this site can get 36.4 mpg why the hell cant the rest of you put aside your egos and pull great mileage in all your cars?

thats all I did I weighed my ego to my mpg readings and said enough is enough even if I get Sh!t from everyone i know im not going to cahange my hideous car because it actually works!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

please re-read:

The REAL issue on trucks and larger tires was pointed out by Frank Lee at the very begining:

Final drive ratio.

(shame op didnt even understand that he had gotten his answer on the first reply)

To determine if this mod is correct for a specific truck, the owner needs to walk thru the following:
What was the stock size (maybe the last owner already upsized and you will go too far!)
What is the Current rear ratio
Current rpm at 50, 60, 70
What do you REALLY use the truck for (if you really do tow or haul, the lose of the smaller /original size might hurt performance)
How much time on the road at 'cruzin speed'(as opposed to intown/city)
Compound difference in tire rubber (as Racer discusses so well)
visuall appeal.

"Typically"......if you upsize from the stock size and stay w/ a 'road' tire. ANd rpms are above around 2-2500 (w stock), then upsizing might make sense.

I posted these helpful notes AFTER your non-punctuated rambling about your truck.....that no one read by way.

Make your own choice:

but it (believe it or not) requires for you to think and process these qestions.
I have a 'small suv' I got better mileage w/ an upsize.
But until you answer the fundamental question concerning rpms you cant be helped.

(course if you would READ and learn, I wouldn't have to be spoonfeeding you......)

Oh fxxx, I'll just keep babbying you....wouldn't want the 'noobie whiners' to show up.

YOu see Mxxxxxx, when you actually go uot and do 50, 60, 70 and record the rpms, then you can ask yourself, if Im doing 1950 rpm at 55, what would be the rpm w/ 7% taller tire???????? SUrprise!!!!!! the rpm at 50mph!!!!!!!
so is there ample power at the new lower rpm at 55mph, OR is it below the sweet spot (AS WAS SUGGESTED BY THE 2ND POSTER!!!! YES THE 2ND POSTER!!!!)
With a 5 speed you have more control over that than an automatic (like mine)

The generic complaint on tall tires is 1. aero increase - false barely makes an impact. 2. slower starting form red light - false (we are ecomodders we drive slow) 3. additional weight - false most upsizes are only 1 lbs over. (weight becomes anissue when upsizing rims the next size.

now I going to go clean my spoon.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:

Last edited by mcrews; 06-09-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktacoma View Post
another thread by op.....

36.4 mpg in tacoma 4x4
-mcrews

you know I appreciate you bringing this up. if you will notice my start date was late April so if you think about it I have been ecomodding for about 2 1/2 months if any of you would put ego's aside and do what they tell you to do for your cars and I mean even the stuff you think looks ugly you would have not problems getting that mileage in a tacoma! the fact that I have some good results because I follow directions points in no way toward my technical knowledge Im 19 what do you expect? I'm not some super genuis that is defying laws of gravity?

that said if a 19 year old with no college and only following directions on this site can get 36.4 mpg why the hell cant the rest of you put aside your egos and pull great mileage in all your cars?

thats all I did I weighed my ego to my mpg readings and said enough is enough even if I get Sh!t from everyone i know im not going to cahange my hideous car because it actually works!
I think the mpg readout is an interesting thing. Initially I found it quite fascinating and wondered why allot of folks that seemed to be 10-20 years ahead of me in knowledge and experience didn't care about their ranking or numbers all that much.

The more time I spend on here the more I realize that while it's a cool thing to be able to post what you're mileage is, it's only really worth as much as your credibility.

Any person can get on here and make a profile and claim to be getting 50+mpg in xxx car, but it really doesn't do the community allot of good to know what you're getting, without very good details about how you're getting it. Diesel_Dave is a good example of someone who is getting some "hard to believe it's true numbers" but he has documented the journey well and has built his credibility while sharing his knowledge so that others can duplicate what he's done.

I like that this site gives me a way to compare my vehicle/driving efficiency with others to see how I can improve. None of that would be possible without the people that run this site (especially Darin) and the dedicated posters who are trying to help people get where they want to be. While I find the challenge of getting uber awesome mpg readouts thrilling (much like my old video game addiction), the numbers themselves tell a small part of the whole story

Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-09-2013 at 03:04 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeyjd For This Useful Post:
aktacoma (06-09-2013), mcrews (06-09-2013), WesternStarSCR (06-12-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

op said "that said if a 19 year old with no college and only following directions on this site can get 36.4 mpg why the hell cant the rest of you put aside your egos and pull great mileage in all your cars?"

who the hell are you talking to?

others have 'tried ' to bully 'us' into buying little eco cars with the same tone.
the site's motto is not "Do everyting and get great mileage!"
it's "wrench smart, DRIVE smarter"
I personally would never delete a/c, ps, etc. I actually lalways left the a/c on set at 73 in the infiniti. 90% of my record mpg results was with the a/c on.

Everyone had positive post concerning you results.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:

Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
now I going to go clean my spoon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeyjd For This Useful Post:
mcrews (06-09-2013), t vago (06-09-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread