Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
This is one for the frontpage !

Excellent work, Dave !

I wasn't even getting 47 mpg before joining ecomodder - in a diesel car

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Congratulations !
Now let's see what amazing mileage you could get from something like 3-Wheelers boat tailed Insight
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

You need to make yourself a bumper sticker.

47.01mpg
1645.2 World record miles a tank
Better mileage than your prius
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Today on the way home, I decided to drive "normally"--or at least as normally as I could--habits are hard to break. I turned the A/C up, turned the radio on, and went just under the speed limit. It seemed very weird. I got 29.9 mpg on the overhead. That's almost 20 mpg lower than what I averaged hypermiling--my worst commute in over 8 months. Last time I got under 30 mpg was in January when it was snowing and 19 degrees.

Guess that shows how much hypermilling can do!

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Congrats Dave

Have notified the news media?
Thanks! I haven't notified anyone other than you folks and a few friends at work. I thought about copying this post over on Cumminsforum, but I'm pretty sure not many folks over there would believe me.

I've contemplated maybe getting a hold of some media folks, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe Diesel Power magazine or something like that might be interested.

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Good job.

You should contact anyone who would be interested in what a big diesel truck can do if driven the right way to get max fuel economy.. Even if you inspire a few people to get 15% better fuel economy, it would be a success

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The view from that plateau must be impressive, Dave! As much as I admire the manner in which you quantified "the run" it is most telling, to me, in the following quote:

". . Today on the way home, I decided to drive "normally"--or at least as normally as I could--habits are hard to break. I turned the A/C up, turned the radio on, and went just under the speed limit. It seemed very weird. I got 29.9 mpg on the overhead. "

The power of habits. Change the base (change the habits) and the results speak for themselves.

Whether the big truck at work (or towing the trailer) I think of driving as consisting of two modes:

Leaning forward: rapt attention to gain the most from every foot of roadway (not about travel speed per se, but about no wasted motions); and,

Leaning back: where one is relying on good habits, but not with the energy-sapping work of the other. The travel speed may be the same, etc, but the average mph will not.

For DD, the average mpg may not be quite the same, but look at how high good habits -- now established -- have taken the bar from when the truck was first put into service.

Even more important (what to take away from it all) is that this is done over the normal course of life. Not a stunt.

Whether I am posting on a Dodge forum or an RV forum on FE I always try to emphasize that the re-establishment of habits is the goal, not some numerical waypost. The percentage change in the household petroleum bill (and the consequent increase in vehicle longevity) will pay for vehicle upgrades, or vacation trips, or what-have-you. Reduce the number of annual miles, and then drive the resulting miles better.

Sixteen-year-olds have bad habits behind the wheel . . embarrassing when one wakes up at age 36 and has to fight those two-decade-long ingrained responses.

But look at what the results can be!!

The usual responses from those crowds (self-selected let's not forget) are that pickup trucks are not designed as FE specific vehicles --which puts the lie to their acquisition of same were this the case -- as FedEx and UPS do this as a matter of course in their driver requirements. Both cover a specific region (as does DD), both operate year-round (as does DD), both emphasize route planning, no idle; vehicle specs emphasize long-life but not at the expense of fuel (trade-offs examined), etc, etc, etc.

As part of vehicle longevity the electronic records of those vehicles are examined, and driver counseling used to change habits.

Self-employed contractors and their pickups can adapt much the same, thus, so can any pickup owner (the DHS released a study last year that showed that, roughly, 90% of us go to 90% of the same places 90% of the time): cut the miles driven to achieve the same results (trip plan), and then better drive the resultant miles (emphasize FE principles).

It seems a fairly rare thing, too, to see a truck from one of those companies involved in an accident. It may occur, but as a percentage of engine time-on and miles travelled it is low, comparatively. There are, thus, secondary and tertiary benefits accruing.

What I learn is that when I change one thing in driving consistently that my attention naturally leads me to change another; to be complementary. It starts with a principle, and the logical extensions of that.

Things build. Habits changed for the good.

Awesome, Dave!!

(And as to media, it would seem that the CUMMINS Turbo Diesel Newsletter would be the natural. I see no conflict between the quantification here given, and the attention paid to million-mile pickups from those owner records. Yeah, yeah, I know, the deletes and all, but that is where it should be).

Last edited by slowmover; 08-16-2012 at 11:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Diesel_Dave (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Ultra-impressive! I'm all for tank records like this. While I'm all for higher MPG, I am curious about one thing. How much have your emissions gone up with all of the emissions controls removed? How much MPG do you think you've gained overall by taking them all off?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, or knock what you've done. I bet your truck still emits far fewer pollutants than some of the jacked up, stack-piped, grey cloud belching monstrosities that are driven around in my area. I'm merely curious to know if you have any concrete-firm (heck, even silly putty firm) number on what you've gained in MPG, and how your emissions have changed.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Ultra-impressive! I'm all for tank records like this. While I'm all for higher MPG, I am curious about one thing. How much have your emissions gone up with all of the emissions controls removed? How much MPG do you think you've gained overall by taking them all off?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, or knock what you've done. I bet your truck still emits far fewer pollutants than some of the jacked up, stack-piped, grey cloud belching monstrosities that are driven around in my area. I'm merely curious to know if you have any concrete-firm (heck, even silly putty firm) number on what you've gained in MPG, and how your emissions have changed.
Generally about 15-20% is typical. That's from the removal alone. It's somewhat tricky to quantify, however, with the DPF. If you have a DPF, you need to run hot (high rpms, etc.) to keep it from getting plugged up. Once it's gone you can make driving mods that will buy more FE than the removal itself. I gained about 25%.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Great Job Dave!!

Definitely front page material!