Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 S10: Project 35mpg

Hi everyone, Im new here but have been slowly modding my way to 35mpg from a 1997 s10. I use it for work and I have to travel anywhere from 500 miles per week on up. Normal weeks range 800-1000 miles, per week. One can see a need for fuel efficiency in my position.

I also need to haul around roughly 500lbs of equipment, including a wheelbarrow and a large case containing a Nuclear Densometer. This case wont fit in the trunk of most cars (that are efficient that is) and it is illegal to transport it in the passenger cabin.

So, I MUST have a pickup truck, and MUST haul extra weight.

The truck:

1997 S10 Ext Cab Short Bed 2.2L Engine 5sp Manual

The Mods:

Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic Oil
Prolong Super Lubricant
Modded Air Intake
Performance CAT
Accel DIS Super Coils
Accel 300+ Thundersport Wires
Autolite Platinum Plugs
Blazer frontend Swap

The Blazer front swap is an Aero Mod; the OE grill/headlight setup had the headlights recessed, like bowls that just caught air as I drove. The Blazer Composites are smooth and follow the contour of the truck, flush with the sides of the grill.

The rest of the Mods are basic, outside of the Accel Coils. I put the coils on in hopes of a more efficient, complete burn of the fuel. Synthetic Oil and Prolong were to reduce internal friction. The plugs and wires were to transfer the improved spark. Lastly, the air intake/cat was to reduce effort required for the engine to breathe. Also, the old cat rattled and was done for.

I bought the truck in Feb 2012. Initially, I drove it as I bought it for a few tanks. I go through tanks of fuel quick, so it wasnt long before I had a good average MPG calculation: 25-26mpg.

Next was the obvious: the oil change. New synthetic oil and Prolong put me into the 26-27mpg range.

The CAT didnt show much of an improvement, maybe a fraction of a MPG - but the old was was fried, so it got replaced with a high flow CAT. I still have not replaced the muffler, which may be a reason the increase was minimal.

Next I did the air intake and DIS coils, which resulted in another increse. I consistently get 28-29mpg now. The air intake was a very light Mod - just a cone filter on the stock air intake setup. Today I finished it by removing all of the old ducting and replacing it with lightweight aluminum duct. That also got rig of the sound deadener that goes over the radiator shroud. (and increased the effort required to pressurize and maintain air pressur in the system)

So after a few very basic mods, Ive gained 3-4mpg.

Not bad, and 29mpg isnt bad for a loaded pickup truck.

I do have a few things working against me: The truck is an Ext cab, resulting in 4:10 rear ratio. Not good for economy. Theres also the added weight. Its also got Ac and PS, PB, ABS. All add weight and suck power from the engine.

I dont hypermile, but I do a fair amount of coasting. Any downhill grade I come across I throw it in neutral and coast until such point that the grade is no longer enough to overcome rolling resistance. I tail semis but dont exactly draft them. I just get to a point where I can feel the wind resistance has lessened but am still at a safe enough distance.

Upcoming Mods:

EFan
Cat-back exhaust (no I dont want a fart can)
Header
ECM Upgrade
Underdrive Pulleys

Possibly, an AC delete and aftermarket injectors. I hear there is a brand that does a wonderful job of atomizing the fuel. Also a few more aero mods such as a 2" drop and moonie rims.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
of what you mentioned i think dropping the suspension would get you the biggest gains, then i would also be all over doing smooth wheel covers on an s-10, most of thier wheels seem like they would be pretty bad aero wise. then switching to an electric fan, i dont know who at GM decided it would be a good idea to put a regular fan in a truck with a 2.2L.
biggest one i would be against spending money on would be injectors.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
35 MPG is a very realistic goal for your truck with the loads you carry.

I got good MPG gains from a grille block and an aero topper. Details are in http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yon-17070.html

If your undercarriage is as ugly as mine, then I'd expect even larger gains from an air dam combined with a belly pan.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Welcome, I think an aero bed cap would do you well. then some belly pans.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
I had an idea about ecomodding an s10 at a point in time but when time came to buy 1 i fell in love with a different vehicle and never came to getting an s10 to start the build on. I had brainstormed the idea and heres a link to everything i came up with. Some of the ideas are expensive mods others are simple cheap mods and all in between.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ild-21949.html

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
of what you mentioned i think dropping the suspension would get you the biggest gains, then i would also be all over doing smooth wheel covers on an s-10, most of thier wheels seem like they would be pretty bad aero wise. then switching to an electric fan, i dont know who at GM decided it would be a good idea to put a regular fan in a truck with a 2.2L.
biggest one i would be against spending money on would be injectors.
Yes! Ive already got the E Fan and its tested. Its a junkyard fan off a Taurus - a popular S10 Mod. Lowering it is sketchy but probably still going to happen as I visit constructions sites in my line of work. Most are rough and unforgiving, but seems like things havent been as bad lately. I think if I keep it reasonable Ill be ok. My rims look like big fans and I happen to like the moonie look anyway, so Ill probably do that. It will probably be a slight weight increase; Ill have to look into what they weigh vs my current rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
35 MPG is a very realistic goal for your truck with the loads you carry.

I got good MPG gains from a grille block and an aero topper.

If your undercarriage is as ugly as mine, then I'd expect even larger gains from an air dam combined with a belly pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Welcome, I think an aero bed cap would do you well. then some belly pans.
Id like to get an Aero topper evetually but thats something Id want to buy - my fab skills arent so great when it comes to big parts and I dont want the truck to look like crap - I have to be presentable in my line of work.

I agree with the belly pan - its probably one of the things I need most. These truck are nasty underneath as far as aerodynamics go - like all trucks probably are. Im also going to get some black foam and fill in all the gaps in the nose.

I stuck with 35mpg for now because it is, as you said, a reasonable goal. Id like to see 40 but I wont push it too far just yet. I like to set attainable goals and then see where I stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
I had an idea about ecomodding an s10 at a point in time but when time came to buy 1 i fell in love with a different vehicle and never came to getting an s10 to start the build on. I had brainstormed the idea and heres a link to everything i came up with. Some of the ideas are expensive mods others are simple cheap mods and all in between.
S10s arent the best vehicle to start with, but there are worse. The 2.2s dont take to light mods very well when compared to other 4cyls - you just dont get as much bang for your buck out of these as you do many other 4cyls. They do take the high dollar mods better though; turbo, cam, all the big stuff. And a lot of that is probably due to the weight of these trucks - the Ext cabs are fat and have a lot of weight for a light truck.

Looks like you had a good plan all laid out too. I didnt go 5 stages; just three for now. And I kinda combined a bit of everything into each stage...aero, engine, weight control all in phase 1.

I do think you would have done better with an S10 than a Ranger though; the Rangers sit a little higher and dont seem as we designed when it comes to aerodynamics. I did see two old VW diesel trucks for sale here a while back; the guy was claiming 50+ mpg out of them. It was tempting, but they were ugly and rusty and the guy wanted an arm and a leg for them. They also had high miles.

Im mainly doing things that are fairly cheap as Phase 1, then moving on to more expensive/involved things later. I may never even see Phase 3 as thats where the supercharger/turbo comes in, and I might have too many miles on the old girl by the time I get there. We'll see how she holds up with time...Ive got 96,000 miles on her now. Bought her in Feb 2012 with only 84,000 - which is why I want high MPG. 12,000 miles in a mere 5 months is rough.

Pic of my 1st Aeromod

Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I hope you did the front end swap because you like the look because aero-wise it isn't much if any improvement. A proper topper would be the biggie.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I hope you did the front end swap because you like the look because aero-wise it isn't much if any improvement. A proper topper would be the biggie.
Ill have to disagree with you on that point. I do like the look better; no S10s came like that - but eliminating bucket style headlights is an improvement nonetheless. Its not a vast improvement, no, but it is as much of an improvement as removing whip antennas and sealing up body gaps. Until you get into toppers and body pans, body improvements are minor anyway.

Im not going for extreme numbers out of this like many here are - some of the Mods I plan just add power and not economy. Economy is #1, but these trucks are weak too and sometimes you just need some oomph to get into traffic. Im trying to strike a fine balance of appearence, economy, and a little extra power on tap if needed.

You might also note I spend most of my time on the interstate at 55 - 65mph, which is where body mods shine.

I figure a few Mods like the headlights, sealing body gaps and the belly pan would be enough to start. I dont expect to see any real improvement until the body pan comes into play. Several small Mods add up - and it has to start somewhere. headlights were an obvious start.

Its not all about a single mod giving me a 37% increase in economy; its about the big picture. It all adds up, and as a member here, you should know that.

Last edited by agent00kevin; 07-08-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh - and there are guys in reg cabs posting slightly higher MPGs as I do; some have claimed 32mpg averages regularly. Im guessing if its true its the reduced weight and 3:73 gears instead of 4:10s. As I haul a load most of the time, I do not plan to go to 3:73s until I have enough done to the engine to offset the loss of acceleration.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent00kevin View Post
Ill have to disagree with you on that point. I do like the look better; no S10s came like that - but eliminating bucket style headlights is an improvement nonetheless. Its not a vast improvement, no, but it is as much of an improvement as removing whip antennas and sealing up body gaps. Until you get into toppers and body pans, body improvements are minor anyway.

Im not going for extreme numbers out of this like many here are - some of the Mods I plan just add power and not economy. Economy is #1, but these trucks are weak too and sometimes you just need some oomph to get into traffic. Im trying to strike a fine balance of appearence, economy, and a little extra power on tap if needed.

You might also note I spend most of my time on the interstate at 55 - 65mph, which is where body mods shine.

I figure a few Mods like the headlights, sealing body gaps and the belly pan would be enough to start. I dont expect to see any real improvement until the body pan comes into play. Several small Mods add up - and it has to start somewhere. headlights were an obvious start.

Its not all about a single mod giving me a 37% increase in economy; its about the big picture. It all adds up, and as a member here, you should know that.
Headlight "buckets" increasing drag is a common misconception. As a member here, I know that. Actually I knew that before I was a member here.

Reply  Post New Thread