Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Still waiting for an MPGuino unit in the mail. Is it unusual for 2 weeks delay? Have a USPS tracking number, but according to that website, the parcel hasn't actually been sent yet.
Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Canadian Metric 0.81m

Here's my current version of the MPGuino software, metric version. It is not based on the metric version currently distributed by dcb, it is an evolution of 075metric that I posted last year.

It contains these "improvements":

- built with Arduino IDE 0020, targeting Atmega 328

- I have successfully used my Spiffie MPGuino and Freeduino platforms to program the 328 for a couple of people who asked for it, so far everything has been compatible with the "Official MPGuino" from dcb - just pop out the 168 from the Official MPGuino and pop in the 328

- added SKelly's font hack to make the large fonts more readable

- added big vehicle speed display

- added alternating L/100KM / MPG display for Tank and Current

- modified edit parameter to leave cursor under OK, instead of the first
non-zero digit

- don't calculate MaxLoop (for CPU % statistic) while the user is operating the configuration menu

- added Tank save to EEPROM, reload on power up

- added comments to the code

By the way, I've been concentrating on metric outputs and although the US gallons/MPG are still supposed to work - well, they haven't been testing in awhile. If anyone can test that and report back, it would be great.

I hope this helps somebody

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip MPGuino081metric.zip (16.9 KB, 263 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mluckham For This Useful Post:
stargazerf3a (02-14-2013), waiwit (09-16-2011)
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I did get my MPGuino very shortly after posting (above mluckham's), but haven't have had time to do more than open the package and marvel at the little device. (thanks DCB)

Interesting to hear of your Mods mluckham. I may look into asking to try them in my unit - when I get it mounted.

In the meantime, anyone have any experience putting the MPGuino into a 1988 VW Westfalia? Or any similar VW EFI vehicle?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just got mine, it has the option of MPG and L/100KM, but i think KM/L is more helpful. Its been ages since i wrote code for anything and am not too keen on tinkering too much with it. Can any1 help me out, I dont mind replacing any of the 2 existing units. Do let me know how to go about it.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvate View Post
but i think KM/L is more helpful...
Actually having thought about it a lot, having fuel in the numerator avoids a lot of confusion. It makes the changes to the thing you are trying to conserve,gasoline, linear. I.e. when someone says "I only saved 5MPG with P&G", you can't quantify it. if they were getting 10mpg to start with, then they improved 50%!

For folks who drive mostly fixed commutes, it makes even more sense to put the distance in the denominator.

However, you can have it either way, without any programming. If you calibrate it for km instead of miles and liters instead of gallons, while it is NOT in metric mode, you will get the numbers you seek, though the labels will be a little off.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey thanks dcb, yes that seems like a good option. Also, in that case, hardly any programming would be required if i were to try and edit the code to change the labels, if required, right?
I mean if its just a matter of editing labels i can take the help of someone to edit the code, my only concern was to play with the logical part of it, which can be totally avoided, right?
Or am i downplaying the work required?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Changing labels in a text editor is easy. But it is not a trivial thing to learn how to reprogram/test these chips if you haven't done so before, you have a lot of homework ahead of you if you go that route.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hmmm.. Well could you guide me as to where to start!? as I'd like to do it some time, if not right away. And learning something new is something i'm always up for so what the heck
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My first post First thank all to great project mpguino.

Big thanks all developers and mluckham to km versio. I look soft and lcd i think why example "big current" are "KM/H" if i get right that should be "L/100km"? I look some youtube clips and there are about 4-5L values in motorway. That don't right if think 5km/L

Please tell me why values are that. I see only (L/100km) display example new cars every manufactor. Or i miss understanding to "KM/L" values, if somebody can tell me what values means?

edit: Couple new ideas goes my head, example anyone connect graphic display to mpguino (enough cpu power?), outside temperatures, open doors(easy draw graphic display), How that "long" consumption saved in arduino memory? If i drive home to work and car is stopped aboud 8hours and i go back home. Can mpguino remember my old (morning home-work) travelling and continue "long" consumption calculatin or reset mpguino "long" consumption always than cars stops over (7min?)? (example Toyota, Honda, and i think many more cars do)

Last edited by LassiV; 04-11-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #40 (permalink)
Like a 2CV only newer

Booboo - '06 Renault Clio 2 PH.3 LPG
90 day: 34.69 mpg (US)
Very nice version !!!

I have a question is this version (0.81) suitable for a 16Mhz Crystal ?
And is it possible to see big instant L/100Km ?

Thank you!!!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
0.75, canada, canadian, kilometers, metric