Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Extreme Electric Motorcycle conversion for Publicity/Charity

For a while, I have been attending some informal electric vehicle "build-days".

Those have been hosted by Tom G. at his recycling business. In his line of work, he comes across a lot of great items. Plus, he's a great scrounger and attends many auctions and other sources of unusual items.

A while back, he mentioned that he had an AC motor, controller, and enough batteries to build an electric motorcycle. He was thinking a motorcycle specifically because of the size of the motor - not quite big enough for a car.

The last time I was over there, I mentioned to the guys the idea of building the AC Cycle, and videotaping the build, and making an internet film of it. Something like Orange County Choppers - Electric Edition. Get everything lined up and build an extreme electric motorcycle in 48 hours.

Somebody else suggested spending more time on it, but documenting it, and making more of a "how-To" video. Similar to what I am doing with Tom's Neon EV conversion.

Another person suggested building the cycle, auctioning it, and giving the proceeds to charity. That might help us get some donations, sponsorships, or publicity.

I have already built an electric motorcycle, and am currently advising another guy who is doing one. Another of our EV members is a big rider and has a nephew who runs a cycle shop.

Whatever we do, I want to help promote EV's as both cool AND practical transportation. If I can figure out a way to maybe sell a video about it, or drive traffic to a web page and get a little ad revenue from it, that would be great.

What do YOU think we should do?

Keep in mind, I don't think anything would happen on this project until at least spring, but it's on my mind, and it's got some great potential.

-Ben!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Spend more time + Be more informative + Auction off for charity
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
I'm with captain slug... Take as much time as is needed, document well, then auction off

Ideally, it won't take too long - that would be a negative towards someone else building on... If it takes months, it might be discouraging...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
I agree with the take time - document - auction path.

People like myself who think electric motorcycles would be ideal - but are very cautious about the actual work needed to undertake this type of conversion would be helped greatly with a solid - well documented - DVD of the build - something that outlines the whole thing well. Might give me the confidance to take the first step and plan this out.

PLUS - with an auction of the finished product - you benifit 2 causes - the EV cause and the Charity that is donated to.

I win ( with the documentation) EVers win ( with the publicity) and the Community wind ( with the charity donation) - it is a Win-Win-Win : )

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sharky - '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
90 day: 25 mpg (US)

Gusz - '06 BMW 325I
90 day: 24.11 mpg (US)
I am a computer programmer and web designer. I would be happy to help build a website around this - and donate the services to the charity concept.

Build an EV, publish the vids on metacafe/youtube. Get some publicity in the eco/green world (easy to do, everyone will want to feature this). And then build a staff page showing who is involved and link to this forum and others, then have a page of "sponsors". Contact battery companies and Curtis etc and have them sponsor the build.

Either way, I am in let me know how I can help.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sharky - '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
90 day: 25 mpg (US)

Gusz - '06 BMW 325I
90 day: 24.11 mpg (US)
I forgot to mention, my wife is a Public Relations Director. She can really get this out there on the press circuit.