Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Kamm-rack

A while ago I tried out some ideas that had been discussed on here regarding marine wrap and if it can be used, it would require someone smarter and more skilled than I.

I plan on trying something else that has been discussed, but not done:

My new bike rack, $8 less with Amazon's Lightning Deal:

I wish that I had a good side view to properly do the template.
California98Civic's plan view, with the 3.9-something whatsit:

[that took me way too long to do!]
Thanks to California98Civic:

So, I figure that I will need to use pipe cutters to trim the arms, perhaps for the verticals, too. I figure that I will use the strongest construction material in the known world, PVC pipe. I figure that I will make a Kamm-back as far back as I can without obstructing the trunk and attach it with automotive tape. I tried looking into it, so I will wait until I actually see the regulation, but I plan on extending four feet past the bumper.

I had planned on building the Kamm-back and surface of the boat-tail out of 1/4-in x 50-ft x 4-ft Extruded Polystyrene Insulated Sheet with fiberglass and kittens. Oh wait, you don't use kittens, do you?

I am now thinking that I will need to build an access door. Since I figure that the Kamm-back and the boat-tail will flex, they will not touch, but I will put insulation foam between them.

I had only planned on making the top of a boat-tail, more of an overgrown Kamm-back, as a proof-of-concept, but I guess that with the access panel, I could do the sides, too.

Well, I just spent hours making pretty pictures and stuff, it took me a while just to figure out the 3.9-something. I need to get back to trying to put together materials for my four consecutive finals immediately following drill.

I planned on looking up fiberglass materials, but yeah, I need to go...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic template plan view.png
Views:	541
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	14179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike rack small.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	14180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fanfold.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	14181  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

Hey guys, this project has not gotten very far, there are always complications! Also, apparently I was reckless with my finances, because I barely have enough to pay rent, so I really do not want to purchase anything else quite yet.

I decided that the best method would be to permanently attach a short kamm-back and then build my kamm-rack.

What is the best way to attack coroplast to a car? Automotive tape? I do not know where mine is, just the mounting tape that I bought first. I have been thinking about purchasing half-inch PVC pipe and screwing it to the edges to give an edge for the tape; I would prefer something with a flat bottom, but the car is not flat anywhere.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Duct tape sticks well, and the black and silver on my Insight has lasted well. Chrome on the Escape also lasted well- but keep in mind residue after the fact- I left painters tape on the Mustang for 24 hours with a little sunlight and I still have some residue left

As far as you are, I would try to do a full boat tail. But for me, I took my bike rack and built a wooden frame, then built the coroplast onto it. Wood, nailed together, then fiberglassed over, and super zip tied. This was attached to the bike rack. This might be confusing so I will try again to be clear...

I attached the bike rack. Measured what size I wanted to fit, and kept those measurements. I built that piece, then examined Metro's build, and used his ratios to get my length. The final end was just big enough for my tag plate, and the cp flows from the wood frame at the end, and then to the plate.

My plan for my kammback was to use PVC piping to build the frame, and use some insulation for safety on the window/paint (this would be secured with the bike rack). It is fairly cheap, but it isn't free :/ L joints are the same way, I am not talented enough to build without them lol.

It's nothing solid, but this is how my mind put together cheap and cheerful, so it might be helpful to you or inspire you to think of something better

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Do NOT use the *cheap* version of Duck-Tape™ and expect to 'last' very long!

The BEST (strongest holding) tape is GORILLA TAPE™, which will "...stick snott to the white of an egg..." with no problem!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Thanks guys! UltArc, I remember you purchasing a bike rack, but it seemed like you focused on other projects instead. Part of the reason that I wanted to try this was because members had discussed it, but I had not seen anyone actually do it.

Why did you use a wooden frame instead of PVC? I can try to make a full boat-tail, it just seems like the best way to keep the front end attached is to make a Kamm-back and then a separate boat tail. However, I could always use rare earth magnets like Christofoo.

I can use Gorilla tape instead of automotive double-sided tape? I do not know where I bought the duct tape that I was using to keep my materials attached to the car, but I doubt that it was the dollar store, and it did not inspire confidence. I thought that something like duct tape would help to smooth the transition, but at least on the top and sides, the Kamm back will be more like a tangent and a circle than a ninety-degree angle, so I will probably either Gorilla-tape the edges or use double-sided tape where the two surfaces meet.

My materials seem sufficient for the Kamm-back, at least a prototype, I just wonder if I should put in a frame to give it more of a curve, it is kind of flat.

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I thought Gorilla Tape was water activated? Does it hold in wet weather?

Joggernot
Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
So, I am not totally clear that I know what you are building... test me... it's a kamm-back that extends 4 feet aft of the rear bumper? If so I don't think there is a way on ourcars' bodies to avoid obstructing the trunk opening, except with the trunk operation mechanism that I think Christafoo developed.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
So, I am not totally clear that I know what you are building... test me... it's a kamm-back that extends 4 feet aft of the rear bumper? If so I don't think there is a way on ourcars' bodies to avoid obstructing the trunk opening, except with the trunk operation mechanism that I think Christafoo developed.
Errr... yeah... trunk... those are useful, especially for long trips, where you would particularly want a boat-tail.

Since I left it at home and drove to my parents' without it, here comes Windows Paint!

So sorry...

First of all, I need to figure out how to redo the bike rack, I thought that the "vertical" bars would extend beyond the template, but the cross bar and top joint does.

Red is the Kamm-back, which would need to be shorter, because the trunk swings further forward. Purple is the bike rack, blue is some kind of magical-mystical PVC frame that will rule the world, and that lovely lime green is the detachable Kamm-back.

The idea is that the red part stays mounted, I load my trunk, attach the bike rack, and win!

Another idea that I have had is to make the full Kamm-back, cut out the portion directly above the trunk and put it on a hinge, with a fastener. Maybe I could use something like Christofoo's technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamm-rack.png
Views:	189
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	14333  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I used wood because it was so simple to use and work with. Easy to cut, secure, attach, the edges (PVC is round) help me keep it in place. I also could attach and make weird angles and connections, while PVC is fairly limited (for me) in how it can be assembled.

You might not need a frame, you may have the skill to do without it, but I couldn't imagine how my boat tail would go without it.

I like your hinge idea.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
reconceive the whole trunk? Take the oem trunk lid off entirely (reversible) and create one long, sealed, kamm-hatch? Loss of trunk lid weight would compensate for added boat tail weight.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread