View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
But not 40 mpg. Rick wants 40.

Disclosure: I'll admit I don't like the Fit. Not because it isn't an attractive, versatile vehicle that likely out-handles the competition too. But it bugs me that Honda doesn't offer high MPG vehicles outside their hybrid range any more, and I'm taking it out on the Fit because I had high hopes for it, and Honda disappointed me (and many others). In other markets, with different trans/engine options, it can be pretty efficient. In North America, we get only ridiculous gearing and the largest engine, so ... TA-DA! ... its efficiency is frankly disappointing. That's my stubborn opinion and I'm sticking to it.
It's not rated 40, but I bet it'll do 40. My Ion is rated 32 mpg highway and despite my nightly climb home, I'm still kissing 40 mpg without any mods.

I do agree, and it's not just Honda. Toyota, VW, GM, Ford, all have high mileage cars sold everywhere but here. Maybe the difference is that Honda and Toyota have figured out how to make a hefty margin on fuel efficient vehicles instead of trucks--by restricting them to higher margin hybrids. With the cost of fuel in Europe, they'd be run out on a rail if they tried that crap over there.