View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
hey NHRABill,

I am also surprised at how divisive the VOLT has been.

Ecomodder is usually a very positive place, but I think that we have a lot of folks that are also very economical-minded, and range from driving as little as possible to save cash to driving the most gas-sipping car because they drive a zillion miles!

NHRABill, do you know Peter Crisitello? He's out in Jersey and is a member of the local EAA there. (He's also a Citicar guy.) He wrote a great blog entry on why he wouldn't buy a Chevy Volt. He's one of the first guys that I know personally who got to drive a Volt.

Overall, he liked a lot of things about the Volt, but felt really disconnected from the road, and didn't care for the interfaces between the driver and the car. Keep in mind that also collects Studebakers.

Euromodder: besides EV's having been around a long time, HYBRIDs have also been around since prior to 1900. But it isn't a matter of how long a technology has been around, it matter's how mainstream it is in terms of economy of scale for manufacturing.

We have been cranking out gasoline cars for the last hundred years, but have barely dabbled in EVs.

I do think that the price gap between the Volt and the Leaf is enough that I think a lot of people would choose the Leaf and the savings.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos