View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 03:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
I have run a partial tank through with the new cams in. It came out to be 75 MPG, which is disappointing. HOWEVER: I filled it in a different orientation, tank facing down on previous fill vs tank up on this fill, so this fill will be pessimistic. The small fillup only amplifies this inaccuracy.

Also, I only discovered after the trip was over that my radiator blocking tape was peeled away. While riding, the temperature would climb to 187-190F, then quickly drop to 174. This was the thermostat repeatedly opening and closing as the cooling system was too effective vs what was being demanded of it. I went ahead and blocked off half of the radiator, so hopefully that should eliminate the temperature fluctuations.

As far as the ride report goes, nothing bad to report! I took it up to 10,500 RPM this ride without noticeable power loss. Still another 1,000 to go, but even with the stock cams the bike noticeably loses power up there. I'm going to have to ride mine and my brother's back to back to notice a difference up there.

After the ride, I checked a spark plug, and it looked slightly rich. This is not a surprise, as this is an open loop fuel system. It does not adjust the fueling based on O2 sensor inputs, which when I found out, I was disappointed of course.

To compensate for this, and maybe get a little more intake noise, I went ahead and got a SV 1000 intake snorkel. This snorkel appears to have twice the intake area of the 650 snorkel. Unfortunately I haven't ridden it with the new snorkel yet, but it should improve the fueling.

EDIT: Tried the snorkel out, feels the same, intake noise at full throttle is monstrous. I checked a plug after the ride and it looked just as rich. It was a short ride, so it was warming up for a good bit of the trip. I’ll check it again after a longer trip.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2850.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	27433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	27434  

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 01-18-2020 at 01:31 PM..