View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
I tried ubuntu for work on my Inspiron 600m laptop. I was impressed with the live disk and the live disk instant install to hard drive. I was also impressed with the "stock" applications. I then deleted it because it couldn't handle hot swapping from the dock with a second monitor and stand-alone laptop... i do that constantly going from my desk to my lab. It also couldn't read a USB key for some reason on the laptop - it worked on my coworker's desktop fine. I always seem to run into a deal-breaker when i try to go linux. I was a big-time computer geek for most of my life, but i have never been happy with linux as a do-it-all. I chalk it up to bad luck,though, not bad linux.

I may give it a whirl again at home because so i can do some circuit board work... end of summer, maybe.
Ah, yes, that too. If I use the NVidia driver, it doesn't handle the dock well, but with the standard driver, it docks fine... without the 3D acceleration of course. Fortunately I don't use anything that needs it while on the dock.