Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The now discontinued Daewoo Tico (Fina) weighed 690kg. So did the Fiat Cinquecento, but its successor, the Seicento, weighed about 50kg more.

The 3L version of the VW Lupo was an attempt at weight reduction, using light metals and other tricks to reduce the weight from 890-980kg to 830kg.

There is a B1 class of driver's license here, which allows 16 year olds to drive vehicles () weighing less than 550kg. This pretty much narrows it down to atv's, but I've seen ads for companies that reduce the weight of any car weighing less than 950kg, down to 550kg. The price is around 2000PLN (~US$650) to get a car registered as a 2-seater, more for a 4-seater, weighing less than 550kg. Makes me wonder... I haven't found what exactly is done, no first hand accounts on any forums, but the guesses are:
  • Rear seat and seatbelt removal,
  • Carpet removal,
  • Spare tire removal,
  • Composit hood.
The price is too low for aluminum wheels or more drastic changes.
From the discussions I've seen, that list may barely be enough to lighten a Tico, but won't get a 900kg car to lose 350kg.

(If this is too far off topic please let me know.)

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
The original 1964 Ford Mustang, at 2,570 lbs, would almost make that list if sold today; it has a body made out of heavy steel with a cast iron engine.

My Triumph GT6 is lighter than any of the cars on that list, also made of heavy steel with a cast iron engine block. Stock, they are 1,783 lbs dry weight, with a 403 lb engine block!

It is quite sad that today, cars with ABS plastic and fiberglass body pieces end up weighing MORE than the steel-bodied cars of 40+ years ago...

It figures as much; I've seen cars that lost more than 400 lbs or more by stripping out all of that useless dead weight in the interior and replacing the seats with aftermarket. A lot of the weight in cars today is unnecessary and non-functional.

Thankfully, there are kitcars like the Fisher Fury, when outfitted with a Hayabusa motorcycle engine, end up weighing less than 900 lbs...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
[/B]Chevrolet Aveo / Suzuki Swift+ hatchback 1,155 kg (2,546 lbs)
I'm pretty sure that, at least in the US, the Aveo is a Dawoo car, I took one for a test drive and looked at the label on the door.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
The original 1964 Ford Mustang, at 2,570 lbs, would almost make that list if sold today; it has a body made out of heavy steel with a cast iron engine.

My Triumph GT6 is lighter than any of the cars on that list, also made of heavy steel with a cast iron engine block. Stock, they are 1,783 lbs dry weight, with a 403 lb engine block!

It is quite sad that today, cars with ABS plastic and fiberglass body pieces end up weighing MORE than the steel-bodied cars of 40+ years ago...

It figures as much; I've seen cars that lost more than 400 lbs or more by stripping out all of that useless dead weight in the interior and replacing the seats with aftermarket. A lot of the weight in cars today is unnecessary and non-functional.

Thankfully, there are kitcars like the Fisher Fury, when outfitted with a Hayabusa motorcycle engine, end up weighing less than 900 lbs...
I wonder how much a reconstructed Mustang of Aluminum and plastic would weigh?

Also, the Mazda2 is on the list, but not the Fiesta?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I figure if Honda were to add 100lbs of safety equipment to an Insight, it would weigh 150lbs more, for 2000lbs. Then switch the unibody from aluminium to steel, and it would weigh about 2370lbs. So what is the CR-Z doing at 2664lbs?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 38.74 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

Smart - '11 Smart Fortwo Cdi
Diesel
90 day: 59.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The other great thing about lighter weight is most auto journalists like the way the lighter cars drive, particularly if they're tuned to feel responsive/sporty. The older ones probably remember what light cars felt like, but for the greenhorns, it may be a pleasant surprise (and they'll hopefully pass that on to their readers).
I remember the original Insight going down quite well in road tests - the light weight (and the shape, obviously) were very good for economy, but the weight also contributed to a car that felt very sprightly and easy to throw around - although far from a performance car it still maintained the element of "fun" that's so hard to quantify in any other way than experiencing it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
The now discontinued Daewoo Tico (Fina) weighed 690kg. So did the Fiat Cinquecento, but its successor, the Seicento, weighed about 50kg more.

The 3L version of the VW Lupo was an attempt at weight reduction, using light metals and other tricks to reduce the weight from 890-980kg to 830kg.
The Cinquecento was very light, but then there was very little car there so you can see where the savings were made! I still think the Smart is impressive, given how much modern technology is packed into one and how good quality the interior feels despite being at the lowest end of the market. The Elise is better still, though again it's easy to see how it's so light, given how little car you actually get! A friend used to own an original Elise S1 and you can totally understand how it only weighed 720kg...

The Audi A2 is another lightweight favourite of mine. Clever engineering - (aerodynamic) aluminium body and light weight allowed smaller engines. 1.4 petrol weighs less than 900kg (brilliant for the usually podgy Audi brand) and still under 1000kg for the 1.4 diesel with a heavier block and more ancilliaries. I expect the "3L" version of the A2 with the 1.2 turbodiesel was pretty light too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
So what is the CR-Z doing at 2664lbs?
No idea, but having sat in one I can see how it weighs as much as it does. It's a quality product, there's a lot of interior around you, comfy seats, and when you pop the bonnet there's a lot of stuff under there. Certainly doesn't look as spacious as the original Insight's engine bay. Not to mention, the whole thing is steel rather than aluminium. I guess we should be thankful that it's still on par for the class, and that it's affordable enough.

In the UK, the base CR-Z costs the same as the 1st gen Insight did when it was new - £17,000 or thereabouts. Not bad for ten years more technology.

Me? I'd happily have either Insight or CR-Z. Both, preferably.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
In the UK, the base CR-Z costs the same as the 1st gen Insight did when it was new - £17,000 or thereabouts. Not bad for ten years more technology.
But 10 years more technology that yields a car with half the mpg?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My Sport Coupe would have made the U.S. list!

BTW I have my doubts about a GT6 engine block weighing 400+ lbs. MAYBE the entire engine assy... not the block though... I had a Spitfire 4, that engine block would barely have made a good paperweight.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But 10 years more technology that yields a car with half the mpg?
This is partly due to the fact that the EPA changed the test:

Regulatory Announcement: EPA Issues New Test Methods for Fuel Economy Window Stickers | Fuel Economy | US EPA

Under EPA’s new methods, the new fuel economy estimates for most vehicles will be lower. This is not because auto makers have designed the same vehicles to be less fuel efficient – it is because our new test methods take into account factors that have been missing or not fully accounted for in the current tests. Because some vehicles are more sensitive to these factors than others, the impact of the changes will vary from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I had an old Civic, a '78 that was really very lightweight, a mere 1600lbs or so, so it felt really quite nimble in spite of its low power. The low weight made it so much more responsive than anything I'd ever driven before, and to be completely honest, since.

I'd like another flyweight commuter. That thing was fun, and really very thrifty.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread