Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Different Bike but similar issue (Jets clogged)

I had an FJ1200 with sticky jet needles. Was pretty easy to fix.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to focus on the carbs seeing as that seems to be a popular response. Hopefully I can get them torn apart in the next few days.

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
If you had water in all 4 of them then yes, I would say they all are clogged up, if they fill up with water while sitting over winter then drain the gas out of them before storage and turn the gas off at the tank.
You should also replace the spark plugs, with water getting in their they might be rusty or fouled and not sparking enough for the starter fluid.
After you do all that, put fresh gas in, no ethanol and try it again.
The owner of the motorcycle shop that I help out keeps saying that moving to fuel injection on motorcycles might put him out of business as 80% of the problems are dirty carburetors.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pull the carbs out and clean them all. Purge carb all inlets, air holes jets and everything you can uncrew. Make sure everything is free of clog. Like all says above, its likey a carb problem causing not to start. I would do so ASAP before all get rusted and eaten away. Take your time and do one carb at a time, try not to touch the air pilot or remember the possition by closing snug clockwise and make note of the turns to the 16th of a turn. Some models are plugged but can be unpluged.
Water issue? how does it get there is the thinker. Either condensention or water gets in for some reason. On a zx7, theres a vaccum line next around your fuel cap, open it or take it off(screws of allens)and you may see it. Its routed to your air cleaner(maybe under passenger seat) going to your carb so trace it and see if water comes from there. See if your air cleaner is heavy and may be filled with water also..
Oil mostly contaminated with water (check sight glass for level and color, creamy white color is not good sign), i would drain, refill and fulsh it at least twice.
Please keep us posted!
Good luck..
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
UPDATE:
I found time this weekend to see about cleaning the carbs. I'm sure I didn't do a perfect job of it, but they really didn't look that bad in the first place. No real sign of rust either. Sadly I didn't have a way to drain and refill the tank so I had to leave that as is. After putting everything back together and hitting the starter, she sounds almost exactly the same as she did before I started. Guess she's headed to the shop to see if they can figure out what's wrong with her.

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Reply  Post New Thread