Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2023, 01:08 PM   #271 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
I mean a lot of company’s sell “ cat shields” anyways that cover the converter with stainless steel panels with a few heat venting ducts

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2023, 04:40 PM   #272 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I mean a lot of company’s sell “ cat shields” anyways that cover the converter with stainless steel panels with a few heat venting ducts
Cooling in general is overkill on any car. You could probably put in a radiator that's half the size of the one you have and be just fine. It's a similar story with the catalytic converter. They overkill on the cooling because of those rare instances someone drives like a race car driver in extreme temps.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:42 PM   #273 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Cooling in general is overkill on any car. You could probably put in a radiator that's half the size of the one you have and be just fine. It's a similar story with the catalytic converter. They overkill on the cooling because of those rare instances someone drives like a race car driver in extreme temps.
i mean i do do long summer trips in arizona and new mexico and texas. 10 hour nonstop drives with 105 ambient temps at like 80mph. im assuming thats not too extreme because its steady state? or would it be too hot from the duration?
Old 04-28-2023, 12:00 AM   #274 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,407 Times in 3,380 Posts
Steady cruise is easy. Shedding heat is hard when the load is high and the speed is low, like ascending up a mountain.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-28-2023, 12:28 AM   #275 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
well i got no warranty period, so everything is fair game now i suppose...
Yes, and if you break it you pay to fix it. Are the tiny possible fuel savings from covering the exhaust worth the risk of killing a harness and sensor that likely cost hundreds of dollars? That is for you to decide.

Manufacturers are risk adverse. We do millions of dollars of testing to reduce warranty costs and also have very little tolerance for warranty issues. At my company a 1% failure rate will get a problem escalated to the CEO. For any company a 4% failure rate on a powertrain or emission item triggers a mandatory recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Steady cruise is easy. Shedding heat is hard when the load is high and the speed is low, like ascending up a mountain.
Steady state can be easy or a pocket of still air can cook components. I've seen it happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 01:40 AM   #276 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,458 Posts
Quote:
Cooling in general is overkill on any car.
Had it been 100% accurate, nobody would be removing the thermostatic valve and setting the fan to be triggered on at a lower temperature in certain cars. Ford for instance, a lot of its models were plagued with overheating issues back in the day of the Zetec-Rocam engine, which used to be its bread-and-butter in Brazil from the early 2000s until around 2013.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:33 AM   #277 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Had it been 100% accurate, nobody would be removing the thermostatic valve and setting the fan to be triggered on at a lower temperature in certain cars. Ford for instance, a lot of its models were plagued with overheating issues back in the day of the Zetec-Rocam engine, which used to be its bread-and-butter in Brazil from the early 2000s until around 2013.
Usually overheating is a problem from some sort of failure, not lack of cooling capacity, although I could see a company cheaping out on cooling or overall engineering, just to make a better profit.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #278 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Usually overheating is a problem from some sort of failure, not lack of cooling capacity, although I could see a company cheaping out on cooling or overall engineering, just to make a better profit.
Man I remember when just about every single car at a car show had overheating problems. I was like dang did they not design these old pieces of crap to idle back in the day? I see none of them have cup holders either lol.
Then fast forward to like 96 and every Ford and Toyota had a super cooling package on it like it was ready to tow up the wall of a mountain.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #279 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,649 Times in 7,125 Posts
Quote:
Man I remember when just about every single car at a car show had overheating problems.
Ford didn't get all the sand out of their flathead blocks.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 03:19 AM   #280 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,458 Posts
Quote:
Not sure about Mexico, India and South Africa, but in Brazil many owners of Ford cars with the Zetec-Rocam engine say replacing the thermostatic valve by one with an aluminium housing instead of plastic improves cooling noticeably.

Reply  Post New Thread