Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
The engine Bay could do with more insulation, and I should fit the damn thermostat I have sitting to go in.

Then there are the other considerations:

1. I dont feel comfortable with the idea of EOC/mechanical shutting off of fuel on my commute- the traffic conditions dont really allow for it to be done comfortably, in my opinion..

2. I have, however, considered screwing the idle stop out to drop the hot idle down from 1000rpm- thus lowering my fuel consumption during E(on)C/braking events.

I know its a half way house, but until I'm entirely satisfied with the ability of the car to start/stop on demand, it'll do.
320, I'm subscribed, partly to see what happens when you get that new thermostat in. Everything I read about diesels says they run best when fully up to temperature and they like lots of cool air to breathe, so I think you are on the right track. There is a thread on TDIclub about a guy who made a 205º F hybrid thermostat to try to get better mpg, and he lives in Florida!

I hypermile and coast with the engine on but never engine-off. I am concerned about wear and tear on the drivetrain and possible oil starvation to the turbo. Besides, diesels can run super lean at idle so coasting in neutral at speed I am showing 400+ instant U.S. mpg on my ScanGuage. Petrol cars are very innefficient at idle but on a diesel E(Off)C is not worth the trouble in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 03-15-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #62 (permalink)
The PRC.

Just subscribing, I need to catch up
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
320, I'm subscribed, partly to see what happens when you get that new thermostat in. Everything I read about diesels says they run best when fully up to temperature and they like lots of cool air to breathe, so I think you are on the right track. There is a thread on TDIclub about a guy who made a 205º F hybrid thermostat to try to get better mpg, and he lives in Florida!

I hypermile and coast with the engine on but never engine-off. I am concerned about wear and tear on the drivetrain and possible oil starvation to the turbo. Besides, diesels can run super lean at idle so coasting in neutral at speed I am showing 400+ instant U.S. mpg on my ScanGuage. Petrol cars are very innefficient at idle but on a diesel E(Off)C is not worth the trouble in my humble opinion.
I Agree re the EO(ff)C being too much effort for too little gain on a diesel- TBH with the commuting traffic I encounter, I'm never in a situation where the traffic is light enough for me to consider switching the lump off..

the Thermostat is another issue all together, looks like the PS pump has to come off and it has a plastic housing..

I dont like my chances- probably try it at the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Just subscribing, I need to catch up
TBH in this, you're likely to pass me

how's life?

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
the Thermostat is another issue all together, looks like the PS pump has to come off and it has a plastic housing..
how's life?
Check this out

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post360627
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #65 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
TBH in this, you're likely to pass me
Possibly not at the moment. Did an experiment as my tank to tank is poor but it matches the SG2 fillups and the SG2 keeps telling every trip is fueled by Unicorn pee as I'm using little petrol.

Experiment was how far before bar 1 goes on the useless*dumb*idiotic fuel gauge bars thing. When I started 90 was good, then got it up to 120 last summer, and now its about 115 - which should mean not so far from when I got 120 (and got a 68+ MPG for the tank), but tank MPGs are much lower.

For this tank I have not hypermiled, I have sinned (been up to 70, and explored the area over 3000 RPM a few times) - quite fun for such a small engine. 1st bar went at 113 miles.

So actually hypermiling means nothing
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team m8

Quote:
Possibly not at the moment. Did an experiment as my tank to tank is poor but it matches the SG2 fillups and the SG2 keeps telling every trip is fueled by Unicorn pee as I'm using little petrol.
This is why I stick to "tank by tank" MPG's- I quite often burn through one a week, so the granularity of feedback is sufficinent for my needs- plus it means I don't "Obsess" on each individual trip- as you know, attention is better paid on the m8

Quote:
Experiment was how far before bar 1 goes on the useless*dumb*idiotic fuel gauge bars thing. When I started 90 was good, then got it up to 120 last summer, and now its about 115 - which should mean not so far from when I got 120 (and got a 68+ MPG for the tank), but tank MPGs are much lower.
I usually get circa 90 miles to an indicated 1/8th of a tank.. HOWEVER, with the Veg oil, if cold, the sender can stick- usually on the uphill exit from my street...means it can show 1/2 tank when I have 3/4rd tank..

I just generally try to fill it befor 670 miles, as I know it'll go roughly that far on a tank

Quote:
For this tank I have not hypermiled, I have sinned (been up to 70, and explored the area over 3000 RPM a few times) - quite fun for such a small engine. 1st bar went at 113 miles.

So actually hypermiling means nothing
Funnily enough, a couple of tanks back I did 620 miles over 3 days, lots of indicated 70 mph, holding the lower gears, attacking rural roads (as much as you can in a td golf..) and got 54mpg from the tank

I reckon Aero is gonna be the big thing for me on this car due to the motorway use- the diesel is already much more efficient than a petrol lump- making the car easier to move will be key methinks

Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
The PRC.

Your MPGs will soar in the summer when the weather gets better, and when the school hols are on. I'm next doing an M8 roadtrip to the throbbing metropolis of Kilmarnock on Monday so that will be the end of that tank so I can check - so far the second bar (usually about 190 miles) is still on at 193.

More low costs too - just ordered 2 new tyres for the front. When I bought a tyre for the Fabia it was £140-ish. The two cost me £55, and they are Uniroyals not Widowmakers
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
I've just swapped the 318iS (which had no MOT/cracked windscreen and rust in the roof) for this 1996 Mk3 VW Golf TD.
So, you've finally given in to real hypermiling-cars.

Quote:
Its going to get some 195/50/15's fitted, a full service then a full tank to baseline it.
If you don't have them yet or need to replace 'm , consider 185/60/15 - they're 4.6% bigger that the 195/50 - and you can get them as the Nokian eLine - first EU AA rated tyre on the market ... if you really want to go all the way

Quote:
The EPA fuel economy for the 1.9TD Jetta (closest model in America) is 34/44 with combined 38.
Your goal should not be above 4L/100km ... (or better than 59 mpg US)
That's what they can get.
Unmodded, and not extremely hypermiled.

Last edited by euromodder; 03-21-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team m8

Quote:
Your MPGs will soar in the summer when the weather gets better, and when the school hols are on. I'm next doing an M8 roadtrip to the throbbing metropolis of Kilmarnock on Monday so that will be the end of that tank so I can check - so far the second bar (usually about 190 miles) is still on at 193.

More low costs too - just ordered 2 new tyres for the front. When I bought a tyre for the Fabia it was £140-ish. The two cost me £55, and they are Uniroyals not Widowmakers
My Bmw's are cheap for tyres due to not being 17" stupidly low profiles!

good work on the 193 at the 2nd bar, and bonne chance in Killie..take care Hopefully the snow will have cleared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
So, you've finally given in to real hypermiling-cars.
No quite,

still have

1x 320 i (130bhp)

1x 328i (193bhp)

and a half share in a 535i (211bhp)

so the golf is the only sensible car available- its also not a car I care about, so happy to modify it

Quote:

If you don't have them yet or need to replace 'm , consider 185/60/15 - they're 4.6% bigger that the 195/50 - and you can get them as the Nokian eLine - first EU AA rated tyre on the market ... if you really want to go all the way
I've swapped on the 195/50/15 as it needed new tyres,and I had them lying about. they also have the same rolling radius as the original 185 fitted to the 14s, but with this "grip" thing

cheers for the heads up re the LRR Nokians, but TBH, with a sloppy FWD car, I'll stick to grippy tyres- personal preference!

Quote:
Your goal should not be above 4L/100km ... (or better than 59 mpg US)
That's what they can get.
Unmodded, and not extremely hypermiled.

its an old AAZ lump, not a TDI PD, so Its not as frugal- I'm fairly ahppy with 2nd in the spritmonitor lists (Overview: Volkswagen - Golf - Spritmonitor.de) jsut now, but aiming to get from 5L to 4 L

Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team m8

A mixed day yesterday with the Golf!

On the positive side, I fitted the thermostat- she now reaches and holds 90 degrees I expect to see an improvement in MPGs too Additionally, the grill blocks didnt cause any overheating..so they can stay!

On the negative side, I traced the banging from the front end to the drivers (RHS) driveshaft- looking at about £85new, or £40 for a 2nd hand one..whilst underneath I also saw that she could do with some new bottom arms and arb droplinks..

She's taxed until end April, but by then I reckon she'll need

Driveshaft
Arb droplinks
Bottom arms
Timing belt/tensioner
and possibly front brakes..

need to have a think

Reply  Post New Thread