Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
bad idea
never use this in a VW TDi

ask me how i know this

Mother VW does not have any responsibility to warranty this
use the correct fuel
use the correct oil

pain will become your constant companion otherwise
IMO F*** the warranty, as far as i'm concerned they just use that as a tool to keep you from venturing out of their little box. just curious (not sarcasticly) how many 2005-older car even come with a warranty? and how many of them are even sold by a dealer? IMO very very few of them. right?

sounds like experience. first hand? if so did you DRY your oil 100%? and i'm in the process of getting a centrifuge, which i'm convinced will filter the oil to 99.9999999% pure-no water, no particules, nice clean oil.

i've seen folks in TDI VW's running SVO (like the video above), am i only seeing them during their 'few months" of glory? i should write to the guy in that video and see how he's made out.
like i said, im here to learn and figure this out, all your help and time is appreciated!! like i said, with an luck we'll be doing this on a 2001 jetta, BUT not intill the facts are straight!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
How about using "dry-gas" in the WVO, or is this a no-no? Also, how about running some ATF in the diesel once in a while as a cleaner?

A lot of this in new to me also and I'm trying to get as many facts as I can.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

There are stories on the web of people who made this work very well for a year or two. People who appeared to really know what they were doing, and going to a lot of trouble to go about things the right way.

But eventually they suffered engine trouble, and any savings on fuel were then spent of rebuilding the car!

This is why I personally decided not to go down this route. If I had an old clunker, and a source of very cheap engines whioch I could fitr myself, then I might reconsider...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Ya, that is the same thing I've seen for the later (especially in the 2000's range!) VW TDIs using straight WVO ... works great for a while and then the engine is toast.

It probably does have a lot to do with how well the oil is treated beforehand, but now it's sounding more and more like the same amount of effort as brewing biodiesel, which (provided that's done right) the ALH series of TDI engines (which would be found in the 2001 Jetta TDI) can handle without any modifications at all.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
It probably does have a lot to do with how well the oil is treated beforehand, but now it's sounding more and more like the same amount of effort as brewing biodiesel, which (provided that's done right) the ALH series of TDI engines (which would be found in the 2001 Jetta TDI) can handle without any modifications at all.
hmmm... i might disagree a little about it being almost as much work as biodiesel. adding a 'dryer' and a 'centrifuge' to the parts list of WVO is a little chunk of change (free-$250 for a water heater plus stainless peices, then any where from 100-$1500 for a centrifuge) BUT still no chemicals and titration tests, etc..... as well the centrifuge could be used to recyle used motor oil to put back in the engine (if you believe in changing engine oil) as well as tranny, and even WVO to fry another day.

the ALH series can handle 'biodeiesl' fine? is that what your saying? if so id agree with that. now that you mention it, that's one of the initial reasons i was doing bio-diesel first. just pour and go... but found out it is a mute point with the older engines that can handle different oils w/o problems.

does anyone have links, vids, books, something that pertains to TDI failures and possibly successes?

my goal right now is to contact folks who've done anytype of OIL (--un-refined into a distilate, ie wvo, svo, wmo, etc...--) vehicle project in/on a TDI(or similar engine) and find out a few things. first thing id' like to know is: was the oil completely clean? (2) was your oil 100% dried? those 2 questions are very important factors that I need answers to b4 i even consider it as a non-possibility. -diffinative, proofable answers.

any hombrewers know the price per gallon that they are producing biodiesel at, as of recently?

TDI stands for -turbo diesel- is that correct? perhaps i just need to study the modern diesel engine a bit more.

thanks again folks!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I would say check here: Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) - TDIClub Forums. Especially check out A Guide To Almost Properly Using WVO - TDIClub Forums, which talks about a positive WVO experience on a later TDI engine as well as having a link to a negative experience. Bottom line seems to be that to use WVO on the more recent engines (ALH and PD for instance) you have to be particularly careful about cleaning the oil. Sounds like you are (and plan to be for the TDI) but I wouldn't say that is the norm for everyone.

I've been using (nearly) straight (B99) or blended (B20) biodiesel for the past ~50,000 miles without any problems on my ALH engine; others on the TDI forum with the same engine have reported several 100K miles with positive results. Later engines are a bit more sensitive to the bio (due to lubricity and DPF issues IIRC). WVO is a mix of positive and negative results.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
How about using "dry-gas" in the WVO, or is this a no-no?
You dont want to add alcohol to a diesels fuel. The alcohol/water mix is not good for older diesel fuel systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
bad idea
your EGR systems , both of them , will be clogged
the EGR cat converter / filter will be clogged
That is easy to fix, delete the EGR and the soot trap / converter.
The EGR on VWs is known for clogging up even on straight diesel fuel. Might as well go with the perminant fix even if you aren't messing with WVO.
As long as you dont install a VGT in that 1985 you wont have to worry about it.

I have ran WVO cut into diesel since 2006 and never had any problems.
But I process my WVO to clean as much gunk out of it as possible before it goes into the tank and then it has to go through a filter system I devised for handling dirty, wet or other wise contaminated fuel.
I even tore down my engine and didnt see anything abnormal.
I am in the process of installing a VGT and plan to keep on cutting WVO with my fuel.

The best thing you can use to clean out a diesel engine is water injection, short of tearing it down and scrubing it in a parts washer.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
very nice, thank you for that link. i don't know how i havn't been there before but i'm glad i am now. some good info there! and a glimmer of hope still!

VGT? not aware of that accronym, can someone explain a little on that?

me and my father have our own plumbing business, and one saying we try to live by is "if you can't find the time to do a job right the first time, how are you gonna find time to fix it?" and with that in mind i'm ready to step up to bat with these TDIs. A great personal gain for me to do this would be to convince family/friends that you don't need a car as old as you to drive for free. If i find success with my friend's TDI then i would easily-finally-convince my old lady (who has to have a NICE car) of WVO.

Thanks again folks, everyones help and time are greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
does wiki stand correct:
In diesel enginesBy feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow but can cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[6] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[7]

Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[8]

?

ok, not to ruffle any feathers but, an EGR is used for emmision control right? and that only matters if you believe emmisions are a problem, which to some extent i can understand but it's not something I give a rat's @ss about. global warming and that whole nonsense doesn't matter much to me (since it's about the BIGGEST scam man has ever undergone-soley to bring about a carbon tax...) just research solar activity/history.... so an EGR valve is good for lower engine temps, lower emmisions, and it makes the tree huggers happy right? AND less power? so it's not really needed is it?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
VGT=Variable Geometry Turbo

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Reply  Post New Thread