Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield1990 View Post
......1000x more conductive seems to break some physics laws.
So if thats the case, what do you think of superconductors?

Quote:
Because I assume that this theory is based on the 20degree celsius scale of measurement and compared to copper while also at 20 degrees
Most reported results do not correspond to 20 deg C, though that value maybe in the data, there is no requirement that a value be given at that temp.
It does appear that the conductivity of carbon nanotubes varies greatly with temperature, far more than Cu conductivities.
Once again understanding the difference between conductance vs conductivity.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Well I just caught on that the original article that I decided to make this thread about even though from a good source had an error.

Which I quoted , it did say 1000x electrical conductive , which should be current energy density.

So it looks like all of our bickering was based upon the articles error.
Who was bickering?
How about you post the link to the article and we can see the "error".

Quote:
But however , 1000x conductive yes its possible but im talking realworld applications and variables there are some exceptions but I seriously dont think we will be exposed to them atleast most of us.

superconductors for example , thats not a realworld variable so I dont think that has bearing because my quote was implemented by all of my writing thus far about normal variables.
What do you mean "realworld variable" and "normal variables"?
You ever have an MRI, know what the Large Hardon Collider is, use electricity(superconducting power cable and generator windings are in use) as there are super conducting wire used in these applications.
High temp superconductors are advancing and now can be cooled with liquid nitrogen. Much much cheaper than liquid helium.
The target is room temp. super conduction or higher.
This like nanotubes is about understanding the science behind the phenomenon and then modifing the structure, process, material to get the results we want.

Quote:
yes silver can be 1000x more conductive than copper , and these nanotubes probably can be too depending on what temperature their conductive state happens also depending on their temperature coefficient.

But I dont think in normal variables that is correct with these nanotubes.

So I change my ruling on my original post from hype to the option I original included ERROR

Whether we use these carbon nanotubes in any electrical device we are going to have our hands on we are not going to have them operated at temperatures low enough to make them superconductive , or close to 1000x more conductive. Those few exceptions are excluded in my statement because that is below even 1% of the worlds population.

I am not going to have devices that are supercooled in order to reach those factors.
Please provide data/link on Ag being 1000x more conductive than Cu.

These are still early days for nanotubes we don't have a full understand of why they behave the way they do, same with the high temp superconductors.
I'll bet you didn't think you'd have a personal computer with the power you now have at your finger tips 20 yrs ago either.
I'll bet, for what that's worth, that in 20 yrs way more than 1% of the world population will have nanotube based technology in use in their homes/work.
Not so sure about the high temp super conductors, but the cost barrier will be lowered to the point that people will exposed to direct applications using the technology even if they don't have it as part of their home.
All of this will be pushed harder because it going to be more effective and efficient to conserve energy than to build more power plants this techology may come faster if only for that reason.

Reply  Post New Thread