Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray3 View Post
Odds are it's not too late in the summer to do what I did, and pick up free high -quality astroturf from a high school football field renovation. Fields all over the northwest are changing over to the longer-staple turf with swept-in rubber granules. My side yard (with two trailers and two project cars) has been carpeted this way for three years now, and I love it! For your front lawn, you might not want hash marks and 10 yard lines, but a good referral to an installer could locate a surplus roll of virgin turf on the cheap.

I also managed to get a piece of the new turf large enough to park my car on top of at shows- really sets off the display!
I had been eyeballing some turf from the Tacoma area on Craigslist. Don't remember how much it was going for, but used might not be a bad way to go. Plus, if I don't like it, then I'll have wasted less money when I go to rip it out.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, Astroturf is better. Install Village green turf .It is suitable for all climatic conditions. Before laying Village green turf, add a 25mm of compost into the first 50 mm of the soil. This will improve the water holding capacity. Just add enough fertilizer to keep it green and active during the cooler months. It needs to be mowed every 7 to 10 days at about 20-25 mm in the warmer months. If it becomes too spongy, cut the lawn right back. It may look brown but will grow back.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow

Quote:
Does anyone have experience and can recommend this? It will be another matter to convince the fiance too. She wants real grass and says she would be happy to mow it. I like mowing and will keep the grass in my larger backyard, which tends to stay green unlike the front yard.
Hi redpoint5,

We all of us know that – If you would like to keep your lawn always green and healthy then you must have to maintain it well by watering it regularly, controlling weeds, using an appropriate fertilizer if required and one of the most important ideas is – you must have to choose an appropriate lawn turf which is ready to keep your lawn green, healthy, weed controlling, dense and green in any season.

Here, I would like to refer to choose “Village Green Turf” – I just find out a useful and inspiring source about –

How to grow the perfect lawn? (http[:]//www[.]greenhomeandgarden[.]com[].au/the-secrets-of-growing-the-perfect-lawn/)

It’s a secret – Let's see, It might be helpful to you.

Last edited by ethanhhgeorge; 10-01-2013 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: update
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Why not just have a native plant landscape?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Why not just have a native plant landscape?
I do! Currently have a nice variety of clover, moss and dandelions.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #36 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
A couple of folks down the street have artificial grass for their front lawn. Easy to tell it's fake when it's sunny. A little harder to tell when it's cloudy and there's debris (e.g. leaves, branches) on it. (It's usually cloudy in OR, right? ) At first I thought "Eww, that's tacky." Always had considered it a step closer to having pink plastic flamingos in the yard. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. I'm having a hard time coming up with how it could be "almost as much maintenance as real grass" as brucey claims... seems to me that it'd basically be "set & forget" (just an occasional stint with the blower) especially if it's not gonna be walked on hardly at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Caring For Fake Grass

Keeping a fake grass surface looking its best will require using special equipment like vacuums and rakes to keep the surface clean and well-maintained. Homeowners can also keep their fake grass surfaces neat by using a leaf blower to remove debris. Special herbicide treatments applied to the grass surface help control mold, fungus growth and inhibit the natural weeds that can sometimes pop up on artificial grass surfaces. Fabric softeners are often sprayed across surfaces to reduce static and keep individual blades springy and soft. During extremely hot weather, artificial grass may need a cooling spray of water to protect it from sun damage.
How To Care For A Fake Grass Lawn | With home and garden
Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
A bit more detail about how to care for artificial grass here: Artificial Grass Maintenance and Grooming Tips for Dogs, Lawns and General Upkeep

When I think of how much effort & money goes into maintaining a real lawn, I can't help but say "that's it?" when I read the "how to care for fake grass" descriptions. Definitely NOT "almost as much work as real grass".
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
When I left Germany, I had a Stateside girlfriend that liked to tell me how things would be when we were married, and I think the first part is a large contributer to why the second part never happened.

She told me that we would not have grass and I asked "You want our kids to run around and play on gravel?"

Yes.

As I mentioned in http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post339539, we also had this conversation:

She said that she would.

Now, she did not want grass because she had allergies, although she could have just said "We cannot have grass because I am allergic" instead of creating law. I looked into artificial lawns, was surprised how expensive they were, and read that they only lasted 8-10 years, but hey, that is way longer than that relationship lasted!

Or any of my relationships...
You just haven't met the right woman yet. "Seek and ye shall find..." (maybe).

Be aware that women think differently than men - they just DO. And they tend to change their minds, a LOT.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Q: How long does synthetic turf last before it has to be replaced?
A: This depends upon the application of course and how much use the synthetic turf has to withstand. Our turf products carry a 5 year guarantee but with proper care and maintenance artificial turf surfaces have been known to last for up to ten years.
[http://www.supportinsport.com/questions.html]

The reason that I did not want artificial turf was not the maintenance, but that I would need to replace it every eight or ten years. I wonder how the two compare over time, water and maintenance versus replacement every nine years.

Oh, hey, I just saw your comment about women. I have put up with too much in the past and it did not work out. I fear that now, I am not willing to put up with enough, but I can totally imagine meeting a woman that seems perfect in every way, then she tells me to jump in her big SUV, drives somewhere at 80 MPH, and I call her the devil!

Reply  Post New Thread