Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
[http://www.supportinsport.com/questions.html]

The reason that I did not want artificial turf was not the maintenance, but that I would need to replace it every eight or ten years. I wonder how the two compare over time, water and maintenance versus replacement every nine years.
Many turf products carry a 10yr warranty, with claims of up to 25 years of usable life. Perhaps the technology has improved since you last looked.

Quote:
Oh, hey, I just saw your comment about women. I have put up with too much in the past and it did not work out. I fear that now, I am not willing to put up with enough, but I can totally imagine meeting a woman that seems perfect in every way, then she tells me to jump in her big SUV, drives somewhere at 80 MPH, and I call her the devil!
I have found that younger women, like men, are more malleable and willing to try different ways of doing things. I dated an attractive 20 year old once that would have let me get away with murder... 2 months ago I married a 28 year old that fits my personality and lifestyle like a glove. She didn't pay any attention to fuel economy before she met me, but now she is getting very close to the same mpg that I achieve, even though I've had 3 years to learn my car. Not only that, but she didn't even know how to drive a manual just 6 months ago.

My point is that there is a woman for every type of man; you just have to find her. It also helps to not be a curmudgeon yourself. I have curmudgeony tendencies myself, so it's something I make a point to improve.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
I would just not be so sure about contacting the state extension agency, unless there are some folks who crop grass commercially back there.
I know I shouldn't LOL (Brazil sounds nice), but we're talking about the Willamette Valley. It's ground zero for our Grass Seed overlords.

What's Astro-Turf made from? Petroleum? Impose order on the chaos and deal with it one plug at a time:

Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute
______

EDIT: Whelp. To paraphrase and invert the Three Stooges, "I try not to think but nothing happens."

The context is a cul-de-sac with a feeder lane going behind you? HOA much problem?

I'd rent the power tool to turf your existing lawn, roll it up and get it out of there. Regrade the contour into something livable and deposit the overburden in some work area. Sift it, manage the moisture content and add 10% Portland cement. Use a [Cinva-Ram style] hand press or home-brewed hydraulic press to make Compressed Earth Blocks in a custom mold. Lay 6-8' along the drive and sweep a curve up through where the fence is, toward the tree. Then grade the fill back over the edge of the paver field so it all heals in when the grass comes in.

Then, all the work you take on at that point will maximize your joy.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-05-2013 at 07:42 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
That's a good idea. I've already seen that in the parking lot of a supermarket in my hometown.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I have no idea what was being proposed here.I have thought about regrading, but I can't envision how it would flow properly with the slope of my driveway. My back yard has a slope almost as steep and is fairly unusable because of it. The good thing is I have no flooding issues.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
The context is a cul-de-sac with a feeder lane going behind you? HOA much problem?
Fishing for context here. Do you ever turn left out of your driveway?

Quote:
I'd rent the power tool to turf your existing lawn, roll it up and get it out of there. ... Then grade the fill back over the edge of the paver field so it all heals in when the grass comes in.
All easier said than done.

A needlessly verbose way of saying use the dirt to make pavers. Perforated pavers are half way between lawn and paving. You can drive or walk on it without it eroding.

Quote:
Then, all the work you take on at that point will maximize your joy.
Suggesting that laying a good foundation will minimize the ongoing maintenance requirement.

Reply  Post New Thread