Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wow pretty cool

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah now I am get 18.75 mpg but it hate city traffic.

I believe I have couple bad injectors it have burnt fuel smoke when floor on highway.

I tried block radiator. That does work BETTER EXPECT oil pressure gauge keep flick zero psi but engine doesn't make sound.

How you found manual gear box for F250? mine is bad it drip power steering oil.

I really need alignment it badly.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #93 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
if the steering box is a ford oem type, it would have to be from a early 70s ford or older if i remember right.
by the late 70s, 3/4 and 1 tons where P\S only please correct me if not righti think im right
1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Found the manual steering gear at a local wrecking yard.
I believe MS was an option through the 6th generation run at least (up to 1979) but I could def. be totally wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #95 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If it's the same steering box as an F-150, manual boxes were available until about 87.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #96 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Recently came across a truck for sale that reminded me of this thread. Looks like a truly great deal at $5k (seems too low). For sale near Houston, TX:

I have a running 1988 Ford F350 custom crew cab rescue truck for sale. It has a strong 6.9L International Diesel motor with a 5-spd manual transmission. It has a custom made flawless aluminum cargo box worth a lot . . . A plumber or an electrician will find a lot of use for it since it has place to mount an electric generator with a fuse box and all sorts of connections and outlets all over the truck. Reasonable offers will be considered. Please call (832) 665 3568 for more pictures or information. Also, it has only 8000 miles on it since it operated on a small chemical plant and has never been used outside. Title is clean and has been owned by only one company.

1988 F-350 Rescue Truck with Box

The enclosed box is tall, relatively. Made me think of alternate ways to make money with a good home-made biodiesel truck candidate:

Mobile CNC Truck

Mobile 3D Printer Truck

A PTO-mount hydraulic motor can drive a generator AND a compressor. Add a heat-strip equipped A/C to the roof.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #97 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Recently came across a truck for sale that reminded me of this thread. Looks like a truly great deal at $5k (seems too low). For sale near Houston, TX:

I have a running 1988 Ford F350 custom crew cab rescue truck for sale. It has a strong 6.9L International Diesel motor with a 5-spd manual transmission. It has a custom made flawless aluminum cargo box worth a lot . . . A plumber or an electrician will find a lot of use for it since it has place to mount an electric generator with a fuse box and all sorts of connections and outlets all over the truck. Reasonable offers will be considered. Please call (832) 665 3568 for more pictures or information. Also, it has only 8000 miles on it since it operated on a small chemical plant and has never been used outside. Title is clean and has been owned by only one company.

1988 F-350 Rescue Truck with Box

The enclosed box is tall, relatively. Made me think of alternate ways to make money with a good home-made biodiesel truck candidate:

Mobile CNC Truck

Mobile 3D Printer Truck

A PTO-mount hydraulic motor can drive a generator AND a compressor. Add a heat-strip equipped A/C to the roof.

I've got a chelsea 6 bolt pto if you need one.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If you can get the complete rear end, it's just a matter of disconnecting the brake lines and unhooking the shocks and springs, driveshaft, then swapping them out. It's a couple hours work once you get used to it.

Once the new axle is on, bleed your brakes.

A complete rear end swap is much faster than a gear swap.
I wonder if, 5 years later, Christ, rmay635703, or elhigh are still on these forums?

I did end up changing the transmission, and left the rear end alone.

But yesterday, while bump starting the engine after EOC, the differential pinion (the part that goes between the transaxle and the internal gear) snapped off (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

An instant later the differential locked up, so something must be broken inside as well, and replacing the pinion probably won't be enough.

So now I'm looking at replacing the rear axle afterall.

I suppose while I'm at it, I may as well get a taller gear ratio.

My question, if anyone happens to know, is which ones will fit properly (same suspension attachment points, hubs I can mount my existing wheels to, compatible U joint to the transaxle)?

It currently has a Dana 60 (or possibly Dana 70).
Probably (?) 3.73

There seem to be a number of axles used on F-250s with the same or better weight ratings.
Would I be able to put in a D70HD or D80 (from the 350 of the same year range), or a Ford 10.5 or 10.25 (from newer 250s)?
What else might be compatible?

I'm hoping to be able to just check door tags to tell whether a particular truck at the junk yard is a potential donar (though I suppose there's no way to get the gear ratio short of checking the case tag, but at least I could narrow down if it's even a candidate)

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
If you haven't found an answer yet, these guys will have one. I still lurk there from time to time a year and a half after trading my 93 7.3 IDI just because the "old timer" knowledge thrown around is interesting to me.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentring View Post
If you haven't found an answer yet, these guys will have one. I still lurk there from time to time a year and a half after trading my 93 7.3 IDI just because the "old timer" knowledge thrown around is interesting to me.
yup, thanks - I've got a thread at Replacement differential options (1984 F-350) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
and several people have given me lots of helpful information.
Still haven't found a solution, but they've got me on the right track

Quote:

Reply  Post New Thread