Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Breakfast with Phil Knox

I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Aerohead, aka Phil Knox, last Sunday, May 18. I had met Phil once before in 2005 and got to see his modified Toyota pickup in real life. Last Sunday I got to see the latest modifications on his truck. Some people have an intuitive sense of aerodynamics and Phil posesses this ability.

On his latest mods he has devised a simple effective air intake for the radiator which is just like the opening of a jet engine nacelle. An internal smooth plug is adjustible to increase or restrict airflow, whichever outside temperatures may reqiure. Both front wheels are skirted along with the rear wheel openings. Phil has also fabricated a component which sets upon the hood to streamline airflow over the front windshield. The rear aerocap is boatlike and has an extended surface rearward. The underchassis is smooth.

Phil has increased the fuel efficiency of his vehicle by over ten miles per gallon! My 4 miles per gallon increase pales in comparison. Phil has also been doing aerodynamic mods to pickups for years, long before it became so vouge. Fuel prices are making mpg modifications very vouge right now! We all owe Phil our gratitude for blazing the trail many, like myself, have followed.

Thank you Phil for the good conversation over breakfast. You're advise on modifying my lower airdam I am going to implement. I am looking forward to the road test when I head back to Denton from Little Rock.

The aero cap is on hold I am sorry to report. The untimely death of my business partners wife halted the work we on the verge of commencing. My business partner is also a dear friend and he has been devastated by the loss. I had to go ahead and take the position offered me in Denton, Texas with a major heavy truck manufacturer. It is fun because we are working on a new aerodynamic truck for the company. It is an irony that this company I am contracting with is located in Phil Knox's home town!

We plan to recommence work the aero cap as soon as possible. I am banking all the money I can now to ride out the rough times ahead when you don't get that weekly paycheck. But, to be working on the areo cap again will be priceless.

Thanks again to all here at ecomodder for your encouragement and support. Thanks again to you Phil, we all benefit from you sharing your knowledge and experience with us all.

I include a picture I took of Phil and myself that day. If any of you guys get down to Texas, stop on by!

Bondo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010534.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	796  
The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (06-13-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
So what did you guys have for breakfast?

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So what did you guys have for breakfast?
Actually we both had an omlette at the IHOP. I think it is the International on the menu.

I'm envious of all that hair. Reminds me of my high school days when I had some.

Bondo

Last edited by bondo; 05-26-2008 at 08:51 PM..
Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
I'm envious of all that hair. Reminds me of my high school days when I had some.
HAHAHAHA I fully understand!

Total head shave has been THE way to go for me.
I was aero/eco modding my hairstyle for a few months before I even found this forum. It has been great to find out that my slick skull helps lower my cd

But seriously, I bet that was pretty nice to see that ride of his in real life. Pictures can only do so much explaining sometimes....

Keep up the great work Phil!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:

If any of you guys get down to Texas, stop on by!

Bondo
I am down in Houston, Texas from Saturday until the start of August except for a wedding in NH and cave spelunking trip in NM. Where abouts in TX are you guys? It would be cool to meet some ecomodders doing real work. As a warning, I won't have a vehicle at all there.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Thanks for the post, bondo.

I had arranged to meet up with Phil as well early this spring, and was really looking forward to it. My trip to Texas was cancelled, unfortunately. There's no doubt about the number of people he's inspired - you as well.

Any chance you can feed us the occasional tidbit about the new truck design elements? (I realize you may be tied by non-disclosure.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Phil,

I did the modification to the front spoiler you suggested. I went from 21.5 to 22.6 on the trip back from Little Rock to Denton, Texas today. Thank you!

It is amazing what a slight change to a certian area will get you aerodynamically.

Bondo
Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Theres an omelette waiting for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
I am down in Houston, Texas from Saturday until the start of August except for a wedding in NH and cave spelunking trip in NM. Where abouts in TX are you guys? It would be cool to meet some ecomodders doing real work. As a warning, I won't have a vehicle at all there.
GenKreton,I live a little north of Denton,and when Brett is over from Arkansas,he's working his magic near the Denton airport.If you can get this way,let me know.If Brett's in town,maybe we can all get away for some cholesterol.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
airdam mpg

Quote:
Phil,

I did the modification to the front spoiler you suggested. I went from 21.5 to 22.6 on the trip back from Little Rock to Denton, Texas today. Thank you!

It is amazing what a slight change to a certian area will get you aerodynamically.

Bondo
Hey Brett,thanks for the kind words,for sharing your library with me,and am glad reduced frontal area worked out.P.S.,I looked at my big-rig stuff,and certain numbers looks real doable.Renault hit Below Cd0.35 with an 18-wheeler and there are bus designs with Cds below 0.25. At 56-mph,some of the rigs return over 10-mpg.Tasty! We'll all be waiting to hear more about the cap.Best to ya,Phil.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
your tell me you met and saw this truck and owner and only got one pic with no details!!!

You got to be holding out?!

Reply  Post New Thread