Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artan View Post
This is a perfect example of no need for an oil change. Tell us JKV357 which of the engines was in a better shape!? Dont tell me it was the one without oil change! Its getting interesting,
I don't recall the specifics, just that both were within spec.

The point is - that's not the same (normal) situation as most of our engines operate in.

My engine will pick-up significant amounts of acids, unburned fuel, and moisture that those engine don't. Because those conditions are significantly different from my conditions, the findings don't directly apply.

The info available that applies to normal driving conditions supports that oil's ability to protect an engine degrades significantly with use and increasing contaminants.

As we all know by now, you're not very interested in hearing that...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #82 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
This is a perfect example of no need for an oil change. Tell us JKV357 which of the engines was in a better shape!? Dont tell me it was the one without oil change! Its getting interesting,
You seem hung up on not relying on data. But an engine oil analysis is the perfect tool to determine exactly how long you can extend the change interval. Myself, I simply follow the recommended interval of 10k miles because my first and only analysis suggested wear was within normal limits at that point. I don't feel the need to spend $20 to extend 5k miles when an oil change every 10k costs me $30.

And keep in mind, it's not a question of never changing the oil, it's when to change the oil. Or do you seriously advocate never, even without analysis?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Bring something new to the forum not these same things we hear everyday my friend.

Check this one; Oud-directeur Castrol: olie verversen onnodig | Krimineel.com
Something new, 518K miles (approximately 834K kilometers) on an engine without any rebuilds using regular oil change/spin on oil filter intervals (dino not synthetic). Name of thread 500K. This is my personal car. Show me someone that has done this with NO OIL CHANGES? Your example is approximately 155K miles, I'm just getting broke in at 155K miles. I've even had enough sludge problem over this mileage with regular oil/spin on oil filter changes I had to pull the oil pan off at about 515K miles to clean the oil pump screen, because the oil pressure had dropped to near 0. I cleaned the screen, CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER and the oil pressure returned to about 60 PSI on a warm engine at 55 mph. There was also a significant amount of sludge in the oil pan that I removed. I know the affects of sludge first hand. This car has probably averaged 5K mile oil changes though out it's lifetime.

Last edited by Ford Man; 09-22-2011 at 08:13 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Man For This Useful Post:
Ryland (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #84 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quick google search will show lots of motors at 1,000,000 miles on a single drain.
They are all running some type of bypass filtration and using oil analysis to keep tabs.
I've seen several on conventional oils, this is nothing new, but they keep very close tabs on things, and add bypass filtration.

Trucks Surpass 1 Million Miles Without an Oil Change

On small gasoline/ diesel motors there is unlikely any cost savings vs just draining the oil, but it is still fun (with proper monitoring).
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
Quick google search will show lots of motors at 1,000,000 miles on a single drain.
They are all running some type of bypass filtration and using oil analysis to keep tabs.
I've seen several on conventional oils, this is nothing new, but they keep very close tabs on things, and add bypass filtration.

Trucks Surpass 1 Million Miles Without an Oil Change

On small gasoline/ diesel motors there is unlikely any cost savings vs just draining the oil, but it is still fun (with proper monitoring).
I agree that bypass filtering or toilet paper filtering and 10-15 gallons of oil opposed to 1 gallon or 1.25 gallons most cars use will increase oil change intervals and another important thing you brought up was they were monitoring the oil through UOA, plus most of these engines are run for several hours at a time where most automotive engines are run short increments many times not even long enough to burn off the moisture and other contaminants produced in the engine.

Last edited by Ford Man; 09-24-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #86 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Toilet paper filtering is a type of Bypass filter for those who don't know.

BHP/Hour/ Unit volume lube oil is actually fairly flat from heavy diesel to automotive.
Meaning that your car with 1 gallon of oil is making 10hp at cruise while the heavy Diesel with a 10-15 gallon sump is making 100-150 hp at cruise.
You are 1000% correct about operating time / cold start with most over the road tractors.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV

Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Check this out 1,000,000 MILES

In this website they lobby for selling their filters, but as long as your existing filter in the engine is not teared appart it will function the same way as theirs. Its just paper stopping some small metal particles, totally no other function. Question rises; if the truck has passed 1 milion miles without oil change did the filter upgraded the oil or did it just stop the metal particles if the filter is not comprising of something other than paper!?

According to some facts i have a feeling that the oil becomes better the older it gets. (Just like wine). I know you'll laugh at this but there is small secret somewhere.

Anyway my test is ongoing, yesterday i checked (fingerfeeling) the oil viscousity immediately after I turned the engine off after a 60 Miles drive. The oil was perfect with a lot of viscousity.

Last edited by Artan; 09-23-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #88 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

No stock filter that I know of "functions in the same way" as a gulf coat filters bypass setup.
These filters are setup in bypass and filter a small % of oil to around 1 Mircron where as the finest full flow oil filters filter to 30 micron. 2-29 micron particles are not that big of a deal unless there are a lot of them, which is one reason why we dump the oil out of most engines from time to time.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV

Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Ah so now you shift the topic to long haul truckers. Initially (and what you are driving) is a passenger car. Completely different animals there. I guess that is because your position is flawed so you try to change the game. Long haul trucks generally travel much higher mileage annually and much higher total miles before engine work is necessary, but then you know that.

Hey if you want to offer your car as a guinea pig, it certainly is your choice. If I spend $250 for 100k in oil changes, versus several $1000s for an engine, you will never convince me your position is valid.

Use your brakes until they are metal to metal, as well as the clutch. Run your wipers until they gouge grooves in the windshield. Don't waste some soap and water washing that car either.

When you are done saving a little money and time thoroughly neglecting a major investment then you will have scrap metal instead of a decent used car that someone might actually pay you some money for. I made a living taking car of peoples cars. Although it might have benefited me financially I never wasted MY time trying to educate some people of the value of care and maintenance. Don't bathe, brush your teeth or do any other personal hygiene because you are convinced that every product you need to do that is satisfying someone else's agenda for profit.

Go back to the year 1900 when life expectancy was 42 in the US, or maybe ancient Rome when it was mid 20S. That's your choice. It will never be mine.

The reason you never offered any examples of passenger cars, privately owned, reaching the million mile mark is obvious.

YOU HAVE NONE

regards
Mech

Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Ah so now you shift the topic to long haul truckers. Initially (and what you are driving) is a passenger car. Completely different animals there.
We are talking about internal comustion engines, it is the same, petrol diesel, small, big, just engines that contain oil inside. metal, bearings etc. If a very big truck pulling very heavy weights working non-stop for very long intervals would last very long without oil change why wouldnt a very small car that transports very light weights compare to the truck.
You are a professional Old Mechanic i dont expect you saying oil should never be changed cause you will loose your job.
You dont convince me ever. I will never change the oil!

Regards,

Closed Thread  Post New Thread