Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #61 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artan View Post

Analyze this; Did anybody ever saw a doucumentary testing two same engines one with normal oil change and the other one without oil change? Never! It is as simple as that. The best way is to test it yourself.

At the end it is not the oil that dictates the life of an engine, it is the way of driving. Cold starts, sudden acceleration while engine is still cold, wrong gear shift especially down shift on manual transmission e.g. from 4th to 3rd all the vehicle load speed will be transmitted on the transmission and engine bearings etc. On automatic transmission the down shift is completely different much lighter for the engine. Thats why engines with automatic transmission last much longer (here's another small detail to why automatic transmission engines last longer than manula transmission engines. Is it the oil or the way of driving!).
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Most of us have no need to turn our expensive engines into science experiments, but by all means go ahead on your own; but please be rigorous and document it so others may learn from your experience.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Most of us have no need to turn our expensive engines into science experiments, but by all means go ahead on your own; but please be rigorous and document it so others may learn from your experience.
Where is that documented transparent evidence. I dont want stories I want to see a clear evidence documentation fact about that.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Where is that documented transparent evidence. I dont want stories I want to see a clear evidence documentation fact about that.
You make broad statements about oil changes being unnecessary. How about you showing us an odometer with say 900,000 kilometers on a passenger car that you or another advocate of never changing the oil has driven.

regards
Mech

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
You make broad statements about oil changes being unnecessary. How about you showing us an odometer with say 900,000 kilometers on a passenger car that you or another advocate of never changing the oil has driven.

regards
Mech
Thats the point. Me and you its difficult or impossible to show such evidence. I mean who would believe that. I am asking everybody why there is no clear evidence (scientific evidence, documented facts to public) that proves oil change is neccessary or not neccessary? The suspicion starts here. You and me can test it and tell it to everybody but who will believe it.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Thats the point. Me and you its difficult or impossible to show such evidence. I mean who would believe that. I am asking everybody why there is no clear evidence (scientific evidence, documented facts to public) that proves oil change is neccessary or not neccessary? The suspicion starts here. You and me can test it and tell it to everybody but who will believe it.
Look at independent lab tests here - Oil Analysis Reports - Bob Is The Oil Guy and see if you find any evidence that oils do degrade with use.

Or it may be a conspiracy...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Look at independent lab tests here - Oil Analysis Reports - Bob Is The Oil Guy and see if you find any evidence that oils do degrade with use.

Or it may be a conspiracy...
I am not saying that they degrade or upgrade. I am saying that to convince me that we need an oil change there should be a test with two same engines one with oil change and the other without. Drive them for certain amount of time and mileage, see the fuel and oil consumtion, open them and the internal parts of the engine for inspection if and how did they wear, compare and the result will be obvious. Its very simple. The labs are just saying the oil contains these kind of minerals and their amount. Thats it. There is no conspiracy, this is totally something else.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #67 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
It's not difficult to understand. Either read and understand the published evidence, or do your own experiments. But don't advocate your position that "changing oil [is] not Necessary" without such evidence, it's irresponsible and counter to the spirit of this website.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
It's not difficult to understand. Either read and understand the published evidence, or do your own experiments. But don't advocate your position that "changing oil [is] not Necessary" without such evidence, it's irresponsible and counter to the spirit of this website.
Why? Was this website created to say we need oil change and thats it. You are totally against the spirit of this webside, cause here we gather to share our experiences and come to a conclusion. Otherwise everybody changes oil and thats it go home. We need to push it to the limits, lets put something valuable that can be used by other people. My experience with the oil in my car is that the oil that the producer says it should be used for 15000km is used for 33000km and everything is fine. Lets move to the next step and see more its totally voluntary thing, i mean it's a debate a forum where we freely discuss, free your mind man. Maybe i am wrong but according to many facts it shows not.

Regards,

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Why? Was this website created to say we need oil change and thats it. You are totally against the spirit of this webside, cause here we gather to share our experiences and come to a conclusion. Otherwise everybody changes oil and thats it go home. We need to push it to the limits, lets put something valuable that can be used by other people. My experience with the oil in my car is that the oil that the producer says it should be used for 15000km is used for 33000km and everything is fine. Lets move to the next step and see more its totally voluntary thing, i mean it's a debate a forum where we freely discuss, free your mind man. Maybe i am wrong but according to many facts it shows not.

Regards,
The part about "everything is fine" is where the questions are - is it really? Compression OK? Cams pitted? Bearings worn? Oil pressure correct?

Just because the engine starts and drives doesn't mean "everything is fine". If you like pushing the limits, that's your choice, but the consequences of going against conventional wisdom, factory recommendations, and lab results are too high for the cost savings for most of us to risk it.

Jay

Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
To wear engines in faster you can add some of those same "impurities" that show up in oil because of use, put a super fine grit in your oil and it will cut away at the inner workings of your engine to seat bearings and hone the inside, then you change that grit filled oil so that your engine will last longer.
It is the same idea as synthetic oils, fewer impurities to start with because you are starting with a pure, natural gas based synthetically made oil instead of trying to filter out the grit, impurities and other junk!
Want to compare engines without spending a lot of money? look at lawn mowers, some people own their lawn mower for years without ever changing the oil, others change it at least once per year, the people who change the oil tend to have their lawn mower engine last 20+ years, the people who don't tend to replace their smoking, hard to start, wore out lawn mower every 3-5 years, that is why whenever I pick up a new or free lawn mower the first thing I check is the state of the oil.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread