Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic issue

Hi! folks... I have a little issue on my hand and wanted to see if any of you guys and gals could steer me in the direction. I have a 1992 civic vx(cali version) . Yesterday I recieved a po7A00 ecu from my brother and when i swap it out with my po7loo ecu it threw the CEL(check engine light), took the car to the shop and they said it was a code 9. If i remember correctly that has to do with your ditributer, odd thing is that when i swap back to my stock ecu(po7loo) the CEL went away. Im not really sure whats wrong with it, and yes my 02sensor is 5wire. Any suggestion? any help would be greatly appreciated........

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Weren't there two distributor manufacturers for many of the Civics. Is it possible you have an ECU matched for a different distributor? Just speculation. Try d-series.org or honda-tech.com if no better answers emerge from others on the forum.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hmm.. Never thought of that, so if im correct you are saying that the civic came with 2 distributor, different specs. So should i try the other Distributor and how do I know its the Different one. Will my car go into lean burn with the CEl light on,, Sorry for so many question Im such a noob lol, thanks for the reply. Any help will do....
Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
See if others can give you more on this site. But I really think you'll find the best answers on d-series.org and honda-tech.com ... there are some people there with very exact knowledge of these specific engines--people who have forgotten more than I know. If you can get past the haters, the real experts will steer you right. Anyone else here at EM have an answer?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the turd - '88 honda civic 4dr DX
90 day: 73.51 mpg (US)
on the distributor are numbers & letters. to tell differance of the 2 the last # will be a 1 or 2
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

just so we are on the same page, wiht a code 9, cyp, the engine does not start or run, correct?

could be the ecu is bad, could be the distributor is bad. the distributors all wire up the same on the ecu side, and there are only three styles from 88 to 2000 - obd0, obd1, obd2.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
IIRC the correct distributor for the VX (d15Z1) is the same as the Si (d16Z6) and should read TDU-42 on the base of it. It is possible that the A00 ECU has a bad circuit for reading the CYP sensor.

Also check for any bent pins or corrsion on the A00 ECU. Take off the screws on the cover of the ECU and look at the board for any burnt components as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

THANKS!!.. I check the A00 ecu and couldnt find any problem too.. i figuerd its not the dizzy becaus if it was other folks would run into this problem too. It seem like my issue is sort of isolated...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

if my ecu is bad is there any way shap or form i can fix it.... or maybe someone in here has a replacement lol
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
just so we are on the same page, wiht a code 9, cyp, the engine does not start or run, correct?

could be the ecu is bad, could be the distributor is bad. the distributors all wire up the same on the ecu side, and there are only three styles from 88 to 2000 - obd0, obd1, obd2.
It actually starts and run fine, but just with a CEL and i dont think it goes into lean burn with the CEL on..Should it?

Reply  Post New Thread