Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2023, 12:46 AM   #171 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[A]t least User Redacted cared about my taste in music.
Quote:
Did you prompt M$ Bard to look at redneck's What Are You Listening To? thread?
I wrote "Please write about freebeard's taste in music."

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-06-2023, 02:33 AM   #172 (permalink)
Not Doug

I think that I passed midterms.

I earned an 80 on the first one, but finished first, an 88.75 on the second, and was about the eight of 34 to finish, and we had our brain anatomy lab midterm on Thursday.

I studied in my car for half an hour and the professor had us get in line.

She let in one student every minute and since I studied in my car, I was one of the last one to get in, but even though we went around to a different station every minute, I finished before ladies who entered before me.

I don't have my score yet, but I feel pretty confident that I earned a B.

I don't even remember for which class we had the first midterm, just which professor it was, but I had just finished assignments that were due and I think that I had an hour to study, which was barely adequate.

The second test was open-book and I should have prepared more intelligently.

I honestly tried for the lab and I had a whole day.
I didn't even have clinicals that morning.

Oh hey, I woke up with a charlie horse 10 days ago and at 2 with a horrible pain in my knee on Tuesday.

I still don't have ADHD documentation for my school and I ran out of medications last Sunday, although the VA just mailed me some more.

Six-day lapses after the first 14 days are great, right?
Right?!

We also had an assignment due Thursday afternoon, before the midterm, and I didn't even remember, but had I remembered, I think that I would have sacrificed one point on an assignment to improve my chances of passing a midterm.

That was annoying because I was supposed to make a long-term goal and four short-term objectives for a four-year-old who doesn't produce final consonants, k or g, and is only 60% intelligible.

The thing is, 10 SLPs could measure someone's intelligibility and come up with completely different numbers, so it is subjective.

I asked on Discord for ideas of a fourth goal since intelligibility is subjective and I had an angry mob of women arguing against things I never wrote, while completely ignoring what I actually wrote.

I replied "Doesn't matter, already submitted" when I returned with a question for another assignment.

They ranted about things only tenuously-related to that, too!

I finished everything due Saturday in the afternoon and started working on assignments due Sunday night.
I spent an entire day working on the main part of one, a tool to screen early elementary kids for language delays or disorders.
There were times when I simply didn't know how to do something and couldn't find anything useful on-line.
I called a teacher I knew for help coming up with a rubric and she just wasted over 20 minutes of my time.
The main difficulty seemed to be coming up with license-free clipart, which I still needed to cite?

No Willie, no I don't.

I finally tracked down Freepik.com, the site that I used before, which has a bunch of free A.I.-generated art, which is a bit creepy, but free, and when that failed, I used Imgur's @BotDrawA to draw I guess just the mop.

I finally loaded a picture of a dry-erase marker from a Chinese site and digitally removed the logo, but I got pictures of common objects, and when I finished, I made Mom answer questions in the manner of a 6-year-old.

She was surprisingly cooperative!

The professor gave us a form to use, but it was a PDF that we couldn't edit, so I copied it, pasted it into Word, formatted it, and filled in everything.
Then we were supposed to write a report based on another PDF, but I didn't have the time to format it much, so it looks super plain, but I submitted everything with a minute or two to spare.

I remind you, I started working on this Saturday evening, and I pretty much spent all day today today on it.

The professor gave us sample screeners for preschool, elementary, junior, and high school, so mine needed to be something like the first two, right?

It just seemed weird because when I say "Look at these common objects," I provide pictures, but the samples didn't.

I asked my classmates if they included pictures and they didn't respond.

It is Sunday, but we had deadlines.

It is still kind of weird that nobody messaged today.

Of course, I have heard that there is a fun WhatsApp group chat, and I don't participate in it.

I really wanted to see Miss Hiker this weekend.

She isn't feeling well, but I am sure that she would enjoy the company.

I needed to run to Winco and the tuning fork store for a group assignment and I looked at their flowers, but Winco really doesn't seem like a good place to look at flowers, and I don't know where I would have fit an hour trip just to drop off them.

Rest well and dream of large women.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s59qc2P.png
Views:	4
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	34304   Click image for larger version

Name:	GkJEFuy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	34305  
Old 11-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #173 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts

[citation needed]

Old 11-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #174 (permalink)
Not Doug

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving. I am engaged to be wed.

Yay.
I keep thinking of Goodbye Toby (Season 4, Episode 13) from "The Office" where Jim paired Dwight's cellphone to his Bluetooth starts answering Dwight's calls.

Dwight tells Jim he’ll just let it go to voicemail, but Jim picks up the call.

Dwight reprograms his cell phone to go to his office phone, but Jim had already forwarded his calls, answering the next call with a Dwight voice, saying "Oh, hello Mater, good news, I'm married, tell Fater," hung up, and said "Such a nice woman."
Old 11-24-2023, 05:21 PM   #175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Congrats.

media.makeameme.org/created/first-time-5c2d6f.jpg

Old 11-25-2023, 12:22 AM   #176 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
That was blocked for me.

I needed to use Archive.org.

No, I was engaged for the longest 10 days of my life, but I never understood why I felt the need to ask her, just that I absolutely positively felt that I did.

I like this one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first-time-5c2d6f.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	34372  
freebeard (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #177 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That was blocked for me.

Did the pic not display or the makeameme URL fail? It sounds like your browser is working against you instead of for you.

I was engaged for one week when I was 19.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:21 PM   #178 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That was blocked for me.

Maybe this would help, ploum.net/2023-11-25-offpunk2.html

Quote:
Offpunk is an offline-first command-line browser/RSS reader. You control it by typing command and it maintains a cache of all the networked resources to allow you to access them offline indefinitely.

If a non-cached resource is tentatively accessed, the URL is marked as to be fetched later. Running periodically "offpunk --sync" will fetch those resources and add them to your "tour" to remind you that you wanted to access it.
Where we're going we won't need a browser....

Old 01-12-2024, 01:43 AM   #179 (permalink)
Not Doug

My sister had someone haul off the wood I bought to build that wheelchair ramp.

My family bends over backwards trying to blame me for everyone and people here do mental gymnastics to [checks notes] blame me for everything.

I passed my classes with grades between 80 and 90, but Mom told me she was moving out and putting my brother in a group home when I had hours to finish my research project.

I had felt confident, but it took forever.

I woke up at 02 on Sunday and tried to work on it all day until 2300.

I think that was for the last 30% of my sources.

After 3 days, Mom finally talked to me about her abrupt decision, and her alleged real reason was as stupid as the one she first gave, but it was settled?

No, she decided to do it behind my back, and refused to talk about it when I found out.

She said that she doesn't expect to live until I graduate and she thinks I will focus better with incompetent strangers who sit on their phones taking care of my brother.

Mom admits that I may never be able to get him back.

I wanted to fix my car and give away several hundred dollars' worth of perfectly good lumber that I bought to build a dying lady a wheelchair ramp and my sister kept claiming that I was horrible for having [wheelchair ramp] wood in the back yard and blaming me for mice in the house, 40' from the wood piles.

I don't have any idea why, but the handyman dragged Mom's LED Christmas reindeer and my brother's newer and better bench into the backyard.

I was repeatedly blamed for that and my sister paid someone to haul off them.

His older and worse bench, which won't even support someone's weight, is still in front.

I brought down the old boards from the gate and the other boards I could.

My sister had them haul off the old toilets, vanities, and I am sure that he left behind other messes--and I had other things that I wanted to use, but why should I be able to fix her house?

Just throw away everything and pay someone $300 a day, plus materials!

We didn't just have those in the backyard!

My fiancée recommended driving up on Monday, but I don't have anything due.

I can drive up on Saturday.

I don't want to go the whole weekend without seeing her, but does it make sense to have a day trip with her and then drive up on my own on Sunday?

I don't know that we would be able to spend 7 hours there, but if we did, mathematically we would break even--except for gas and wear and tear on my car.

I plan on asking people from Church to help, promising breakfast, pizza, soda, hot chocolate, whatever for help.

Moving supplies will cost several hundred and I don't want a truck until Monday, but what am I going to do, make multiple trips in my car?

Park a 26' truck in front of my house for days--in front of a no parking sign?

Rent a van just to get the supplies home?

They advertise free delivery, but require 4 business days.

I have one.

They advertise next-day delivery, but I don't even know how much that would cost because they don't offer it.

Home Depot has a calculator, but some of the items they recommend aren't available for delivery and three aren't available at all.

I need to rent a dumpster and freebeard is as likely to pay for that as someone from my family.

Uhaul's calculator didn't include moving blankets and I tried to find something that I saw about hanging those over a door to block sound.
I am sure there endless opinions about the efficacy of that, but one page, which sells weighted door blankets, says to buy weighted door blankets.

I got the old LG phone to play white noise and it was 5 dB quieter with my weighted blanket on it, which isn't nearly enough.

I think that Dad left behind 6 bookcases full of books, plus many more in boxes.
I still want to hold onto those.

My brother left a room full of toys, although my brother had the garbage people haul off most of his stuffed animals, despite not seeing signs of mice.

All of us saw signs of mice in Mom's room and since she refuses to go through her stuff and says that she will let us go through it when she dies, but I am not holding onto it that long, what fits in the truck may come down, but I don't plan on filling the truck.

Nor do I plan on storing a room full of junk for the rest of her life.

I plan on donating or throwing away most of the stuff in the garage that isn't mine.

Will she even remember things that sat on a shelf for 5-20 years?

If we clear out the house, we can finally be finished with the mice, make critical repairs, clean, and sell the house.

Anyway, if I stack boxes of books against the wall, will they insulate from noise at least as well as a 2x6 wall with insulation and drywall?

Building a wall I will only use for 3 months definitely sounds safer.

I spent hours trying to write and summarize this.

It just doesn't seem like there are any good options, but the sooner we can stop worrying about the Show Low house, the better.

Last edited by Xist; 01-12-2024 at 02:12 AM..
Old 03-16-2024, 02:01 AM   #180 (permalink)
Not Doug

I marry tomorrow. I cannot imagine making all of my school deadlines before leaving for our honeymoon.

I had a big presentation for my research project last week and I have two projects related to that due tonight.

Last night I had two assignments and a project due for the same class, having had a final for that class.

The only final I passed was just a quiz, it was open notes, and I had two chances.

I just don't remember whatever the professor said up to 10 weeks ago and I can't commit it to memory in a couple of hours.

The last one had many questions that were on the quizzes and I reviewed the quizzes a few times before the test, but the questions were just familiar, I didn't have any idea what the answer was.

I didn't complete one assignment due last night and it was supposed to involve 4 hours of virtual observations.

Get this, I have seen school SLP jobs in the Phoenix area starting at $80,000, but there is a higher percentage of male Occupational Therapists--and OTs make a few thousand more a year.

There are even more male Physical Therapists and they are paid a few thousand more than OTs.

Correlation is not causation, but two days after my presentation, I read that the female workforce participation increased by 70% between 1950 and 1990.

Many of those women chose violence therapy and the percentages never shifted back.

Maybe more women chose speech and fewer women chose physical therapy.

Maybe fewer men chose speech because there were fewer men and less pay--and then it gets worse and worse.

Should I try to recruit men to this sinking ship or recommend they pursue something that pays better like PT or programming?

I read this while cramming: "What radiation safety procedures should be taken by the clinician during a VFSS? (Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study)
Wears a thyroid shield, lead apron, protective glasses, protective gloves, and a dosimetry badge."

I can still do radiation!
What do the goggles do?!

Anyway, I have less than an hour to submit that assignment which is supposed to take at least 4 hours before it is two days late.

Go go gadget ADHD!