Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #71 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I swear that I asked ChatGPT about 3d printers that could print UV-stable materials 1m square and it listed a few at various price points that printed about 300mm square, so I figured it would be prohibitively expensive to print larger than that.

I could print a geodesic dome with foot-square panels, but why not a full hemisphere?
One of those printers only cost $500, but either ChatGPT refused to discuss something further and insisted on starting over, or I hit the 20 query limit.

Either way I didn't copy the information and when I asked about it again ChatGPT said "I never told you about 3d printers," and then it told me about different 3d printers, including one that cost a little less than $500.

What is a good greenhouse height?

Let's say that I can actually stand up in this one.

We will say it has an 8' radius, although I wonder if it should be more of a sphere.

Don't domes often have at least the bottom layer vertical, representing more than a hemisphere?

That would have a volume of 402.125 square feet and you would need over 400 panels.

That sounds annoying!

Here is a dome apparently based on a 4.75' sphere, with the diameter apparently just over a foot off the ground: Garden Dome Bubble Tent 9.5 ft. x 9.5 ft. x 5.8 ft. PVC Screen Garden Igloo Geodesic Dome with Led Light Strings, Clear
It is $684 with just one one-star review.

Here is a dome based on a 70.865" sphere with the diameter just over 15" off the ground, $1,485, and rated 3.6 stars: Garden Igloo - Improved Version V2 - 12' Walk-in Garden Dome Igloo

This isn't a dome, it has one dome-inspired connector on the top, and then just legs, like a spider wearing a poncho, or a clear umbrella without a handle for $245: Haxnicks 9 Ft. W x 9 Ft. D Greenhouse
It doesn't seem to have much usable space inside and you need to use stakes to stretch the siding for maximum space?

This is 7" taller, 2.5' wider, and $345: Haxnicks 11.5 Ft. W x 11.5 Ft. D Greenhouse
That sounds usable.

This sure looks like an actual dome.
5v?
$500: 9.5' W x 9.5' D Hobby Greenhouse

I don't see any other dome or dome-inspired greenhouses for sale.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2023, 05:39 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
That sounds annoying!
...[snip
I don't see any other dome or dome-inspired greenhouses for sale.
I don't have that much time*. let's fall back on the albums again.

[201903] What you see are two 3D printed parts, generally an irregular hexagon made up of 16 triangles. These are arranged [size and angle] to make a 3/8ths sphere with an open pentagon at zenith and five triangular opening at grade. This could be assembled from two hexagons and two diamonds.

*One can make a dome from dowels pipes or tubes and zip ties. One could 3D print a finial for the top. Maybe a door knocker.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:14 PM   #73 (permalink)
Not Doug

This is 1,385 square feet, 16'6" tall, and 42' across for $49,000: 42' Growing Dome Large Greenhouse Kit

This site has a 50-foot dome for $36,500, a 60-foot dome for $55,000, two 25' domes with a tunnel connecing the facing hemispheres for $22,500, a version with two 50' domes for $78,000, and 3 48'8" domes with a 20' center "Zome" for $95,000: King Dome, Inc.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:27 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pacificdomes.com/greenhouse-domes/

Back iin 1980 Pacific Domes was Oregon Domes' nearest competitor. I see they're in Ashland now, then it was Cottage Grove along with Pacific Yurts. https://www.yurts.com I see they are still in Cottage Grove today. Pacific Domes is call for prices.

Anyways, see the concrete block foundation wall? Sad.

nautil.us/the-ancient-architecture-that-defies-earthquakes-301285/

They're using cedar beams and big rocks, but it would scale down to 2x4s and fist-sized rocks. No mortar.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #75 (permalink)
Not Doug

I nearly poked out my eye with a greenhouse.

The back of the roof is eye-level and I didn't worry about cutting it flush. I managed to gouge my eye while going to remove about the last 10 screws from the back.

The rest of the siding is already shoved into the garbage can.

I have been on the phone for 16 minutes. I am going to put on outside clothes and ask the useless people at Church if they can remove the rest of the siding and haul off the plastic.

Edit.
I told Mom I needed to go to the E.R. She tried to ask many questions, but I went to the E.R. In a group chat with my useless sisters she asked where I was and then my sister sent a screen shot of my Facebook post that I was in the E.R. She messaged me that since my sister found me (right where I said I was going) she was bringing my brother to get me (even though I drove myself). When they finally let me go into the out Mom still tried to take charge.

I asked on the Church Facebook page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Is someone available to remove the rest of the greenhouse siding and take it to the dump? I nearly poked out my eye and need to go to the E.R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts and Prayer Brigade
oh no. i hope you will be ok.
Quote:
Do you know anyone who can remove 10 screws and haul off some plastic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts and Prayer Brigade
someone is already borrowing our trailer. good luck.
Quote:
It will fit in our garbage can. One only needs a pickup, van, or SUV.
When she ignored me I found someone to haul it away.

$65 for something that would fit in my trunk, but there would be bits of plastic everywhere!

Having spent 26 minutes on the phone obtaining permission now I need to spend who knows how long on the phone saying I did the thing they permitted me to do.

I needed to do a bunch of TradeWars stuff before 2100, but was busy, and now everything is messed up.

Edit.
The guy came and got this for $65:

The VA nurse I took out 4 years ago (and 4 years before that) called. I asked how her daughter is doing and she said "Good! It is her last day of school today!"

I thought the daughter was 14, so I asked a mutual friend if the girl was graduating, although you would think she would have said "Graduating," not "Last day of school."

She insisted on giving me the number to inform the V.A. that I did the thing they permitted me to do even though the E.R. already informed them and the nurse I took out verified, so I lost 5 minutes of my life taking care of that.

She talked to me more today than during our date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-18 02.01.36 www.cbsnews.com ea0d974cff1e.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	33811  

Last edited by Xist; 05-19-2023 at 11:26 AM..
Old 05-20-2023, 07:45 PM   #76 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Having to deal with medical bureaucracy is always a PITA...

Buy some safety goggles ASAP.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:59 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The guy came and got this for $65:
Whether he paid to take it or charged to take it, sounds like charity work. I can find 2x10ft pieces of corrugated roofing or twinwall greenhouse glazing for about $10 each. Mosr recently, white PVC corrugated sheet for a new porch roof.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Not Doug

It took him 5 minutes to dump a bunch of broken plastic into his truck.

YouTube is convinced that I want to watch greenhouse and shed build videos all day, every day now, much like this:
Old 05-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #79 (permalink)
Not Doug

Fantastic. I went to write 2x4, somehow hit the wrong keys, and my 19 browser windows, with 2-100+ tabs each, closed down on me!

Rookie numbers!

YouTube kept pushing videos about guys making their own concrete planters. This was the last one I watched: He used 400 pounds of sand and 600 pounds of concrete to make something his wife liked so much she had him put it right in front of the house.

Maybe I could sell those, but I like my back!

Then it started recommending videos like this: This guy kept saying that lumber prices were way high, but fence boards had not gone up in price, so he came up with a bunch of ideas using fence boards.

2x4 prices seem to be back where they were 4 years ago, actually cheaper than cedar pickets, and slightly more than treated pine ones.

The only simple 1x6es I find are 14' long and slightly cheaper per foot.

He showed many other relatively-easy projects (and variations of the planters), like this 49" wide x 24" deep x 93" tall shed, but I felt I was getting distracted.

Mom once gave me permission to build a small shed for our yard tools, but I feel that I should focus on cedar planters, although it would be great to have a place to put the tools!

When I was laying in recliner, waiting for the void to finally take me, I thought that if I made taller planters Mom might actually use them, and like the elevated one I recently built for her, she wouldn't need to sit on the ground and climb back up to use it.

We could bring it inside when it gets cold, too.

I was thinking about cutting 2x4s and 2x3s so they look like a 4x4 (from the outside), but today I saw this: It seems like the most logical thing to do would be to move the patio junk into storage, build several of these, put them on the patio, and forget the garden box.

I can put siding on the greenhouse frame and easily make a shed, but it would still be weird with the raised garden base.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:12 PM   #80 (permalink)
Not Doug

The greenhouse is down; my friend with cancer was told she may die in a week.

There are some young guys at Church temporarily staying here and they came by for 90 minutes. They pulled the hundreds of trees growing in the back lawn, organized all the wood I had scattered around the back yard. found Mom's broken flower pots, and helped me dismantle the greenhouse that cost me $800 and tons of time and energy.

I had my brother help me put the greenhouse frame with the rest of the wood and I finally found a torx bit for the greenhouse door and the big bench I made. Then we put cinder blocks between my car and the portable garage frame, put 2x6es and one scrap 2x4, and put my circular saw and planer on them.

Nothing else in the shed looked critical: Drywall, foamboard, and random wood, but I never finished screwing furring strips into the ceiling, so I need to do that--and then find 1x2s through drywall.

Brilliant, Xist!

I hosed off Chorizo and wanted to finally put the cover on the garage, but I couldn't find the instructions, so I came inside to look up them, and they are unclear, so I started watching videos, and it looks complicated.

Then my friend shared the news.

What is the point of anything?