Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Can't speak for others, but ALL of our CFL failures have been in locations (fans, overhead lamps, etc.) where the CFL's were mounted bulb-down (base up).

All of our failures were characterized first by heat discolorization of the base material, then (sometimes) strange smells, followed finally by complete failure. After experiencing the same results with different brands (FEIT, Ikea, GE, N:Vision), I switched to LED's for these locations.
I haven't really paid much attention since they fail so rarely. I know I have at least one that failed that was mounted horizontally (only because that is the only place I used the globe shapes). A couple failed because I swap them out regularly for seasonal colored bulbs. Not sure on the rest.

I actually write the date on the bulbs so I know how long they have been in there, but the only failures have been from before I started doing that eight years ago (except for the ones I swap regularly).

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Luckily, I think only one room has dimmers, so we should be fine, although I thought LEDs were supposed to be good at dimming?

Thanks for the heads-up!
You're welcome.

The only experience I have with LEDs and dimmers is this one fixture, and it's kinda weird anyways. It wouldn't surprise me if it's just my fixture.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
I don't know if this is an every store thing, regional, local, or what. But, Home Depot has been having a great sale on CREE brand LED replacement clusters for popular household bulbs. This was the purchase from my last visit (Had 2 visits like this thus far):

And this is the add on their website. Most of these are only available IN STORE:

The lights are offered in both hot and cool temps. I think hot is 2700K and cool is around 5000K. For the one bulb style there is also a 40 watt and 60 watt option.
This is probably in response to Walmart getting in on the LED bulb business with a 60W (800 lumens) for $8.88. I have about 16 of these bulbs now with only one premature failure. I have a review on there. I should update it.

Great Value LED Light Bulb, Soft White: Decor : Walmart.com
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
I looked up the Cree LEDs on Home Depot after this thread. Today I started a YouTube video I needed to watch for class and the advertisement before the video started was for the exact bulbs!

That tells me it must be a nation-wide thing.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I've had mixed results with the CFLs. I have a pair of them that are going on 6 years old and are still going strong, but others have died much sooner. A lot of it I'm sure is the number of on/off cycles. If they are anything like standard fluorescent bulb, they will last a long time with few on/off cycles, but will die very quickly if they are repeatedly cycled. My 5 year old killed a 1 year old CFL by constantly flicking it on and off when I wasn't watching. I also noticed the light never seems to last long in the bathroom, and it makes sense; not many people stay in the bathroom for hours on end.

LED bulbs shouldn't have the same issue, so I will slowly phase out my CFLs for the LED bulbs, especially in the high cycle areas. I've been waiting for years for the LED bulbs to come out, I'm glad they have figured it out finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

$7.99 for a 3-pack now:

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
That's a screamin' deal, considering that one bulb used to be like double that price. I'll have to check my local HD and see if they have them on sale here as well.

Thanks for letting us all know!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Those aren't a deal if they're 40W equivalent. Not enough light in 300 lumens, unless you're replacing one light with all three.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

94_MR2_NA - '94 Toyota MR2 non-turbo
90 day: 19.71 mpg (US)

00 Outback Wagon Ltd (AT) - '00 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 22.69 mpg (US)

Cruze LT - Rental - '11 Chevrolet Cruze LT
90 day: 33.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Do you have Costco down there?

A few months back they had a big discount on 3 packs of LED bulbs. Our local electric company also provides subsidies for consumer purchased, high efficiency light bulbs. Combine the two and I picked up two 3-packs for about $20 IIRC.
Another Costco shopper. Different locations have different selections of bulbs. I recently bought a new house and nothing but incandescent bulbs everywhere! I have purchased the limit each time for the bulbs I needed (for the local electric company instant rebate). Note, you can buy. Drop off purchases in the car. Go back in and purchase the limit again.

They have the Feit brand LEDs:
* 3 pack of A19 bulb replacements (standard 60w equivalent)
* R20 size reflector bulbs (45w equivalent)
* BR30 size reflector bulbs (60w-65w equivalent in flood and PAR30 spot)
* complete can light replacements
* and more that I can't remember.

The incandescent light bulbs maybe rated for a certain output but don't always deliver the same amount, color temperature or intensity at all points (hotspots). It maybe due to age or quality. Switching them to LED I get much more light all at the same color temperature and even distribution.

My experience with CFLs is really bad. They burned out all of the time and the slow start up was really annoying. CFLs were quite good for areas where the light was on for long durations, when they worked.

Last edited by eggroller; 12-10-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroller View Post
My experience with CFLs is really bad. They burned out all of the time and the slow start up was really annoying. CFLs were quite good for areas where the light was on for long durations, when they worked.
Yep, similar bad experience with CFL's here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Can't speak for others, but ALL of our CFL failures have been in locations (fans, overhead lamps, etc.) where the CFL's were mounted bulb-down (base up).

All of our failures were characterized first by heat discolorization of the base material, then (sometimes) strange smells, followed finally by complete failure. After experiencing the same results with different brands (FEIT, Ikea, GE, N:Vision), I switched to LED's for these locations.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bulb replacement, cree led, home depot, lighting