Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I don't see the CFLs burning out regularly. I think I've lost one or two over the years, and I have a couple that date back to maybe the mid-90s, before the twisty shape became standard.
Same result. I moved into my current place in 1999, and the first thing I did was replace the bulbs in the dining room fixture. Dreadful, TVA-designed "all-new, all-electric!" house with glaring fixtures directly overhead. One lamp burned out about a month later and I didn't care. The other two lamps are still there, and that's the dining room - quite a lot of hours there. It gets about 2.5 hours per day, more in winter. Those CFs will actually deliver on their promised 20,000 hours, unlike lots of others I've seen.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

To those who have them, is the quality of light better than incandescent or CFL?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel FTW

Golf TDI - '03 Volskwagen Golf TDI GL
90 day: 44.63 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
To those who have them, is the quality of light better than incandescent or CFL?
I took a side by side photo and can't find it now. Our front porch lights are identical and I wanted to see the difference. Color, of the 2700K ones at least, was identical. Output was identical, but I don't recall what wattage bulb was in there. I can try to source a bulb and snap another side by side shot at night if I get a free moment.

The output of the CREE "60 watt equivalent" LED clusters that we're using has been on par with the 60 watt bulbs that they have replaced. Outdoors we have 4 floods. 1250 lumens, halogen, on all 4. I replaced them with the "65 watt equivalent" floods. The color is better (soft, relaxing) but the output obviously isn't the same in this case. If the floods are being used inside in a recessed lighting situation, I'd say go for it. If you are going for optimal power outdoors, look for another LED that'll most likely be 5 times as expensive or more. Or, just wait a little bit 'til CREE comes up with something better. They have the right technology. I just want to see some better output on their floods.

Outside I prefer the LED or Halogen 100% over the CFL's, especially in winter. It's cold here in PA in fall, winter and early spring. The CFL's take forever warm up to full lumens output, typically when I need light right away and it's cold out.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I have several mounted in several places in the homeless shelter; I'm pretty cognizant of quality of light and can tell you this: a good LED looks like a halogen lamp. They're bright and very white and kind of piercing, you don't want to look right at them. I've seen the emulator versions that try to replicate the color temperature of incandescent. It looks like it's trying too hard and actually hitting closer to being a sodium vapor emulator. Bleah.

The bright white ones are very nice in my opinion. I have a few that have been in the peak of the chapel, 35' off the ground, for a couple of years now. Already they've avoided about $800 in lift rental, so we're already saving money for having switched to LEDs for certain applications.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
How much did you get the flood lights for?

I've got like 18 flood lights in my new-to-me house and want to change to LED, but I'm looking for like $10 rather than 20 or 30 or 40 (for obvious reasons, that's a lot of fixtures!). I've been checking whenever I make a trip to HD, so I'm glad to see this. The only ones I can find are ebay bulbs and most of them are no-name, so there is a quality assurance issue.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel FTW

Golf TDI - '03 Volskwagen Golf TDI GL
90 day: 44.63 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

I've got like 18 flood lights in my new-to-me house and want to change to LED, but I'm looking for like $10 rather than 20 or 30 or 40 (for obvious reasons, that's a lot of fixtures!). I've been checking whenever I make a trip to HD, so I'm glad to see this. The only ones I can find are ebay bulbs and most of them are no-name, so there is a quality assurance issue.
The floods are still relatively expensive (though not compared to costs even 5 years ago). They're just around $20 each. That's why we only purchased 4 this past trip, though need 7 total for the house.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Quality is a pretty subjective thing - witness all the naysayers who complain about CFLs because they're "bluer" than incandescents, and hence closer to natural daylight. (Honestly, I think some of these folks would be happiest with kerosene lanterns :-)) But to my taste, the daylight CREE LEDs are close to real sunlight. If you mount one next to a CFL, the CFL looks almost dirty by comparison.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

Do you have Costco down there?

A few months back they had a big discount on 3 packs of LED bulbs. Our local electric company also provides subsidies for consumer purchased, high efficiency light bulbs. Combine the two and I picked up two 3-packs for about $20 IIRC.

I won't spend $10 for a bulb, so my one dimmable light fixture still had incandescents (CFLs everywhere else in the house), but once I saw this I pulled the trigger on some LEDs. They work pretty well, but don't dim as nicely as the old bulbs did. I also have one in my drop light in the garage since CFLs can't take an impact very well.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Can't speak for others, but ALL of our CFL failures have been in locations (fans, overhead lamps, etc.) where the CFL's were mounted bulb-down (base up).

All of our failures were characterized first by heat discolorization of the base material, then (sometimes) strange smells, followed finally by complete failure. After experiencing the same results with different brands (FEIT, Ikea, GE, N:Vision), I switched to LED's for these locations.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
I. Love. Costco! If it wasn't for Costco, I probably wouldn't drink milk (for some reason, all other milk tastes sour). And their meat (especially Kinders)... OK, I have to stop, I'm eating as I type and I'm getting hungry!

$3 a bulb would be amazing! I only accepted $10, because it was half of the next best price. I'll look for them next time I do a Costco run. Maybe Black Friday, they'll be on sale, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I've heard of power companies doing incentives, especially in the PNW, but I'll have to check if PG&E does it for bulbs.

Luckily, I think only one room has dimmers, so we should be fine, although I thought LEDs were supposed to be good at dimming?

Thanks for the heads-up!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bulb replacement, cree led, home depot, lighting