Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
If you hack the cruise for MPG it may be easier on the input end to use TPS voltage instead of VSS volts.
This would allow constant throttle instead of constant speed.
Let me know how you do.
I am not a good hack but I can follow instructions.
Thanx,
S.
Between 1934 & 1939 Chevrolet had a dash mounted "throttle" knob attached to a cable. It was the poor man's cruise control.

Once at the desired cruising speed, the driver pulled the "throttle knob" out until he was controlling the engine speed with the knob instead of the foot pedal. The cable was hooked directly onto the carb linkage at the same place the foot pedal cable was attached.

Constant RPM, not a constant speed. Worked fine on flat roads which were not very common in the 30's.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Product_77.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2311  
The Following User Says Thank You to CobraBall For This Useful Post:
jungle (12-13-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
I did some calculations based on the webpage I found.
Quote:
The frequency range of the Ford MAP/BP sensor is 92 to 162 Hertz (Hz).
That sounds like it should work, wagonman. I guess the ford map sensors are similar. Make sense from a parts efficiency perspective.

Thanks. Good idea about using a tach.

I'm too busy with work to do this now but later in December, I'll give it a shot. I'll be posting it here:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ng-5540-3.html

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
Between 1934 & 1939 Chevrolet had a dash mounted "throttle" knob attached to a cable. It was the poor man's cruise control.

Once at the desired cruising speed, the driver pulled the "throttle knob" out until he was controlling the engine speed with the knob instead of the foot pedal. The cable was hooked directly onto the carb linkage at the same place the foot pedal cable was attached.

Constant RPM, not a constant speed. Worked fine on flat roads which were not very common in the 30's.
This is too funny... I was looking over a guy's restored '36 Chevy truck a couple weeks ago, and looked at how his OEM 'hand throttle' as he called it, worked. The guy even gave me some pointers on how to give it a little more friction, and showed me how it is passive when not being used. Deceptively simple.

PS I bought a cable last week...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #64 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post

PS I bought a cable last week...
Make a thread on that one too please. When you figure it out, I am thinking of going that way for now. On the Cheap.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #65 (permalink)
Puerto Rican Hypermiler

Toyota Echo - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 41.71 mpg (US)
Hello everyone, regarding orange4boy question, all those Ford Map Sensor's should be operating in the frequency range of 92-160 Hz, so if you're VSS is sending the signal at a rate of 8000 PPM, you should be fine by just substituting the VSS with the Map sensor signal. Be sure to find a one similar to the one I previously posted. Here is the link of photos.

Keep in mind you would like to be able to switch between both signals, just in case you decide to maintain a constant speed or a constant load. Is it for the Toyota Previa?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #66 (permalink)
Puerto Rican Hypermiler

Hello everyone, Happy New Year, it's been a while since my last post. I am repairing the manual transmission on my Suzuki Swift, it had problems with the differential, the satellite gears had chunks of teeth missing, so I changed them and also changed some bearings, retainers, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, fifth gear fork and synchronizer, and the front struts. Its a little expensive, but it worth it since the car is so economic on fuel.

Here is the link of photos of the parts I changed:

Last edited by jomelmaldonado; 12-30-2008 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #67 (permalink)
Puerto Rican Hypermiler

I also uploaded photos of the vacuum gauge I recently installed:

Last edited by jomelmaldonado; 12-30-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #68 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Nice looking gauge, me Likey.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master Modifier

jomelmaldonado Nice idea, and nice work to make it work so well.

FYI, there is a slew of Ic's that can accept an analog input voltage and generate a pulse frequency related to the voltage. The function is called voltage to frequency converters.
Instead of the ford map sensor, one of these could be set up to give any PPM that you want for the analog MAP signal.
A short list:
Voltage-to-Frequency Converters
A smart version could easily be implemented with a microcontroller that has an analog input, so you could also sense TPS and VSS to allow a more complete solution.

On the MIMA system that I designed for the honda Insight, in the PIMA mode I use the MAP signal to generate a request for electrical assist, that supplements the engine power to maintain speed at high MPG. I call it electric priority.
MIMA introduction - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist Tour De Sol
Have fun and keep trying to make things better, God knows we need it.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #70 (permalink)
Puerto Rican Hypermiler

Thanks for the information Mike Dabrowski, I visited you're page of the MIMA an watched in Youtube the interview they made you at the 2007 Hybrid Fest and personally found it very useful, you're design is what most car company's should be implementing right now. Congratulations on you're achievements and design. Probably I will be communicating with you again because I am interested in the voltage to frequency converters. I also would like to know any option I have to make my 1998 Suzuki Swift partially hybrid, like you're fifth wheel pusher, but probably using a hub motor or something similar.