Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CRX HF EcoTurbo?

Well gentlemen.

Is it worth it to turbocharge a 1990 Honda CRX HF for increased economy?

I read an article in SuperStreet a loonngg time ago, in which a turbo Honda S2000's fuel economy jumped to 38 mpg. All because it took him less time and throttle to achieve highway speed.

I was thinking maybe a Mitsu 13G with an adapter plate to the HF manifold, plumbed straight into the throttlebody with no intercooler. Boost pressure would be low, only 5 psi or so. I would like to retain the factory 240cc injectors.

My biggest concern is tuning with OBD-0.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Well gentlemen.

I read an article in SuperStreet a loonngg time ago, in which a turbo Honda S2000's fuel economy jumped to 38 mpg. All because it took him less time and throttle to achieve highway speed.

I was thinking maybe a Mitsu 13G with an adapter plate to the HF manifold, plumbed straight into the throttlebody with no intercooler. Boost pressure would be low, only 5 psi or so. I would like to retain the factory 240cc injectors.

My biggest concern is tuning with OBD-0.
Do you know if it will deliver the power in the low end? That's the key, from what I have read. For the best FE results you will want more power on the lower end of the RPM band and you will want as little delay as possible. This unit offers that?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Doesn't the CRX HF have pretty high compression ratio already and with a turbo you want to have lower compression on your engine so the increased pressure doesn't cause pre-detonation.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Do you know if it will deliver the power in the low end? That's the key, from what I have read. For the best FE results you will want more power on the lower end of the RPM band and you will want as little delay as possible. This unit offers that?
The TD04-13G is fairly small. I can't say for certain due to variables, but full spool at 5 psi would probably be around 2700 rpm. I spend most of my driving in the 1800 to 3500 range. The extra power would be nice for getting onto the highway.

The GT15 would probably be a little more efficient for my needs, and spool a little faster... However, that would increase the price by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Doesn't the CRX HF have pretty high compression ratio already and with a turbo you want to have lower compression on your engine so the increased pressure doesn't cause pre-detonation.
9.1:1, so not terribly high. There's a lot of guys running 15 psi+ with much bigger turbochargers with that compression.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post

The short answer is no.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The short answer is no.
I know Daox is right about the financial cost of the turbo charger. It wouldn't pay for itself for a prohibitively long time, if ever. I just looked up the prices on these units. Not any cheaper than others I have causally researched. $2K - $3K is a lot to pay for a little more FE. Your earlier response raises questions too. You say you normally drive in the 1800-3500 RPM range. An HF has taller final drive gearing than the VX and so you might be driving at some high speeds to make 3500 rpms on the freeway. Not all that great for FE. Still, I don't think anyone would dispute that there would be some gains, with modest driving technique changes, and that you would also have access to the power you seem to want. If costs are not part of how you value the mod, go to it. And please post a build thread with testing of results. I know I'd like to read it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A guy on d-series.org boosted his civic for the sole purpose of better FE. He tuned it so that his engine would be in neutral vacuum as much as possible to increase pumping efficiency . He also re-calibrated the fuel maps in his ecu to run in lean burn mode. I forget how many MPG's he was getting but is was up there. I'll try looking him up and post a link if I find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pana For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pana View Post
A guy on d-series.org boosted his civic for the sole purpose of better FE. He tuned it so that his engine would be in neutral vacuum as much as possible to increase pumping efficiency . He also re-calibrated the fuel maps in his ecu to run in lean burn mode. I forget how many MPG's he was getting but is was up there. I'll try looking him up and post a link if I find it.
I found this on that site: I did some FE testing 64.8mpg - D-series.org. Is that the one? If so, he seems to have a turbo for power but relies on lean burn for higher FE on freeway trips. His average FE, tank to tank, would be interesting to know.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would be surprised if just adding a turbo helped FE in any way.

Using a turbo to bring a car back to "acceptable" performance when something else has been done (e.g., lean-burn, downsizing the motor, etc.) is a well-trodden path to FE. Just ask anyone with a Cruise Eco.

It might be fun to run a 1st-gen Insight 3-cylinder with a turbo in a CRX.

-soD
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Gasoline engines don't see much of a FE boost when turbo charged.
If you be good and drive them easy you can milk a few more MPGs out of your vehicle but the mod wont pay for its self.
It would be nice to have more power and MPGs, in that way it could be worth it.
I wouldn't try going non-intercooled.

Reply  Post New Thread