Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #91 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
the audi is a light hybrid, it has brake regen so the effect is pretty light

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #92 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingie View Post
the audi is a light hybrid, it has brake regen so the effect is pretty light
I don't know how an electric compressor could provide some energy recovery, but if a conventional turbocharger had been coupled to some sort of starter-generator it could eventually enhance the effectiveness of engine-braking while also recovering some energy while the main shaft of the turbocharger decreases its speed.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
The basic configuration would be exhaust wheel/thermal break/altermotor/intake wheel.

If a rear-mounted turbo was grafted to a driveshaft with a 2nd one grafted to the other end, the altermotor could go anywhere in between. I don't know enough about turbo bearing to know if you could turn one into a PTO [power take off].
Old 06-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #94 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If a rear-mounted turbo was grafted to a driveshaft with a 2nd one grafted to the other end, the altermotor could go anywhere in between.
It doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, making a twin-stage centrifugal compressor with the alternator placed between the compression stages. Possibly it would not increase too much inertia like the setup driven by a PTO would.

Quote:
I don't know enough about turbo bearing to know if you could turn one into a PTO [power take off].
Since some earlier jet engines relied on centrifugal compressors which are more similar to the compressor of a turbocharger than the axial ones fitted to modern airliners, and they still have an accessory drive, it doesn't seem impossible to design a turbocharger with a PTO.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The expensive electric superchargers that use an aluminum compressor housing (like the traditional exhaust driven stuff) do work. I'm not talking $200 plastic fan kits, I'm talking $2000.. not cheap but they work. I know somebody who makes 50 extra horsepower with one, and it is tied into the gas pedal so use is progressive and seamless. No buttons to press, no jerkiness.

The Roadkill episode where they use gas powered leaf blowers to supercharge a Monza is available on youtube. It did make more power than without the blowers. Ah somebody already posted it.

IMO would be interesting to tune one of the e-superchragers to negate pumping losses, see what that does to fuel economy. Try to minimize or eliminate partial throttle vacuum.. no positive boost. Would love to see the data. I asked my buddy to try to tune his to behave like this, but I guess he is too busy enjoying his extra 50hp.

Last edited by easythereturbo; 07-26-2017 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Did not read throught the whole thread..
Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here ya go. From another thread:

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2013/07/2014-formula-one-exhaust-energy.html

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr — What's wrong with this one: Two turbos connected by the exhaust pipe? The front one is conventional, and the rear one, running at a lower temperature, has no intake side, just an alternator.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #97 (permalink)
i should weld

Another unicorn idea: Turbine stage connected to generator, use it to spool up a compressor for better power under heavy acceleration, or charge a battery for gap-fill power. There's a reason some plane engines were so-called "turbo-compound".
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #98 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Turbocompound was a whole different animal, it transfered part of the recovered exhaust energy back to the crankshaft through a set of gears. Quite complicated and hard to perform maintenance. Scania has fitted some trucks with this device for a while, but has phased it out quite quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2013/07/2014-formula-one-exhaust-energy.html

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr — What's wrong with this one: Two turbos connected by the exhaust pipe? The front one is conventional, and the rear one, running at a lower temperature, has no intake side, just an alternator.
As long as it could fit into a normal car, it would be OK.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

hmm..

at the other end of the price spectrum there is this -> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...717440859.html

Whilst I know that's hobbyesque, I've seen many youtubes about wind generators and lots of quite decent electric motors come out of china now due to their access to rare-earth-materials.

What's good if there is anything about the link to the toy that's shown is that the motor sits out of the hot flow.

I wish I could dedicate proper time to making something like this. I'm sure something could be made to work. Most cars waste the space inside the mufflers. Turbo's are good but there's still more energy available for harvesting.

Link to https://www.bing.com/search?q=savonius+wind+turbines
future - probably a Prius

Last edited by ar5boosted; 07-29-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Most cars waste the space inside the mufflers.
[citation needed]

Reply  Post New Thread