Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Personally, I'm 43 and before lipitor my cholesterol was somewhere around 305. Someday I just might need a new heart when this one gives up the ghost and personally, I like the idea of thousands of young, healthy organ donors going out on the weekend just because they love the feeling of the wind in their hair.

If you die because your melon got smashed, you leave behind a lot of good, viable, undamaged organs. Everything but the BRAINS!!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
If humans as a species didn't always demonstrate foolish self destructive behavior, these laws wouldn't have been made..... People are not collectively intelligent, they are collectively sheep needing a dog to herd them into submission and nip at their heels when they wander too far from safety.
I think you raise a good point about where the two opinions on helmet laws are originating from, ShadeTree. The assumption that people "always demonstrate foolish self-destructive behaviors", is the one Frank, myself and Thyme are all concerned with.
That is an opinion I and others take offence at, especially if it comes from a gov't politician. A very demeaning assessment of many self-motivated, ambitious, college-educated, productive law-abiding tax-paying individuals. All reduced to incompetent drones who can not decide whether a helmet is worth wearing on an individual basis. Read into what that quote implies. In essence, only a few individuals out of society (a very small minority of like opinion) are qualified to know best, only a few have the wisdom, the intellect, the awareness, the purity of birth, to choose for the masses, and the majority of the human race has no right to disagree because they are lesser beings. I don't consider myself self-destructive, don't I deserve the same freedom those few higher beings retain for themselves? How do they justify their being higher forms of life than I? What metric sets the "fools" apart from those who are self-appointed "Big brothers"?? Can anyone be voted in, or is it by birth? Dangerous concept.
Don't get me wrong, I totally support offering helmets to those who want one, and seat belts, etc etc., (I always wear a helmet). The self-exalting attitude behind forcing me to wear one is what I oppose.

Last edited by tim3058; 11-22-2010 at 02:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to tim3058 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
re: broken windows. Everything is interrelated to some degree.

I.E. you can't make the world a safer place without helping to breed idiots, and those can be very expensive in the long run.
Even if you make riders wear helmets, being an "idiot", ie risk taker, still isn't evolutionarily selected for. There are plenty of other ways to die.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #104 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NinFo - '09 kawasaki ninja 250R
i almost always wear my helmet, but i still think it should be riders choice. there was a guy here in town who got hit by a car and knocked into oncoming traffic, and a car ran over him and crushed his chest, killing him. but hey, he was wearing his helmet!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #105 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
In essence, only a few individuals out of society (a very small minority of like opinion) are qualified to know best, only a few have the wisdom, the intellect, the awareness, the purity of birth, to choose for the masses, and the majority of the human race has no right to disagree because they are lesser beings. I don't consider myself self-destructive, don't I deserve the same freedom those few higher beings retain for themselves? How do they justify their being higher forms of life than I?
Being in authority and being able to wield power is not only their justification but their vocation in life, to maintain their position as a career politician. It was Otto von Bismarck who said "politics is the art of the possible". He also said "He who has his thumb on the purse has the power."

Quote:
What metric sets the "fools" apart from those who are self-appointed "Big brothers"?? Can anyone be voted in, or is it by birth?
In America, anyone can be voted into office if he can convince enough fools to vote for him. usually voters receive something in return for their votes. Look at Charlie Rangel. He wasn't born into congress. He probably would be re-elected (as he recently was) and remain in office even if he were sent to prison - which isn't going to happen.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GoldFocus - '09 Ford Focus SE
In total numbers, more people die or are seriously incapacitated from head injuries resulting from accidents in cages rather then bikes purely from the larger population of cage riders. From observation of the numbers, arguments being raised against helmetless motorcycle riders have greater affinity in mandating helmet use for all who ride in cages.

Doug
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

KLR650 - '10 Kawasaki KLR650

6.4 - '19 Ram 3500

All Black - '19 Kawasaki Vulcan S
It's your brains that get splattered... do what you want. Personally, I wear one!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
It's your brains that get splattered... do what you want. Personally, I wear one!!!
I think that is exactly what some of us are arguing for, do what you want. I wear one, but I can think of some people who dont that I just think, "eh, darwin would be proud."
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurance View Post
Personally, I'm 43 and before lipitor my cholesterol was somewhere around 305. Someday I just might need a new heart when this one gives up the ghost and personally, I like the idea of thousands of young, healthy organ donors going out on the weekend just because they love the feeling of the wind in their hair.
Around these parts the young guys are the ones wearing helmets. The helmetless people tend to be gray headed (or bald), gray bearded, and toying with being morbidly obese if not actually fat enough to be so. I'm pretty sure the organ quality you seek is not going to be found there.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #110 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I remember a time when I was growing up in Wisconsin that the state highway patrol was required to wear helmets in their patrol cars. I think it lasted about a year.

I also participated in a helmetless ride in protest of the Wisconsin helmet law for motorcycles. We met thousands of motorcyclists and in mass we took off our helmets for a ride into the state capitol building area. I think it was 1975 or 76.

I still ride at times without a helmet. Yeah I am grey haired and bearded but you will be to.

In Missouri you are required to wear a helmet but you can choose to carry a loaded gun in your pocket. I work in Illinois and there you don't have to wear a motorcycle helmet but you can not ever carry a gun loaded or not. I much prefer Missouri.

I saw this on you tube and thought it might tie a few ends up.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Reply  Post New Thread