Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #121 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I like Safeway well enough. They seem to have good products and good people, but Mom says that now that [the company that bought Albertson's] bought them, they have been hiring people at minimum wage.

Fry's and Winco are my favorite, though, good prices, and good people. I earn gas rewards slower with Fry's than Safeway, though, because they charge less!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Black got jail 6x more than whites.
The percentage o single mother among black it's alarming, but not 6x more than whites. Sons of single black single mothers go 3x to jail than sons of white single mothers.
Perhaps there are other factors at work. If you look at the US, I think you'd find that a higher percentage of black people live in low-income urban areas, and low income urban areas are the ones that have the largest police presence, and poor people, black or white, are going to be police targets.

This is just biology: predators congregrate where the prey is plentiful, and attack the weakest members of the herd - in this case, the ones without money to hire lawyers.

Quote:
I conclude the quality of moral values are better among single whithe mother than among single black mothers. There are some social side that counts, but it can't explain everything alone.
The problem with that is that most of the things that will get you arrested (in the US, anyway) are morally neutral.

[QUOTE}Strange... Compare the two graphic for 1960 for blacks. How can be more kids living with single mother than kids born from single mothers ?[/QUOTE]

Easy. Parents get divorced after the kid was born.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #123 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
There's also a lot of self-selection. Do you grocery shopping at say Whole Foods (a US supermarket chain selling "natural"/organic food), and you will see very few obese people. Shop in the WalMart grocery section, and you'll see few non-obese ones.
How many people shop at Whole Foods compared with Walmart?

The statistics don't lie:

40% of women are obese. Not just a lot overweight, but obese to the point of having serious health threats.

Here's the overweight chart:

Quote:
This is just biology: predators congregrate where the prey is plentiful, and attack the weakest members of the herd - in this case, the ones without money to hire lawyers.

The problem with that is that most of the things that will get you arrested (in the US, anyway) are morally neutral.
Police aren't running the lawyer calculus when they are arresting people who are breaking the law, and they aren't randomly throwing people into jail.

It's morally deficient to rationalize criminal behavior as an inevitable consequence of low economic standing, and broadly asserting that law enforcement is a gang of predators looking for easy prey is disgusting.

I'm no fan of many of the interactions I've had with LEOs, and I acknowledge that power has a corrupting influence on individuals, but it's unreasonable to believe most LEOs go to work with the main intent to bring injustice to the land.

Do you know what the strongest predictor of economic status is? It's single parent families. We can't blame single parenting on some capitalistic boogyman. It's not that simple. Attempting to explain a complex issue with a single line explanation does a disservice to everyone.

Quote:

Contrary to what most people think, property crimes are by far the most reported crimes in the United States

Larceny / Theft
Larceny-theft hits the top of the crime list, far outweighing any other crime. The numbers of larceny-theft in this country are staggering – more than 7 million reported each year, making up almost sixty percent of all reported crimes.

Burglary
The next most prevalent crime is burglary, another property crime. Burglary reports total around 2 million each year, making up about 18 percent of all crimes reported.

Motor Vehicle Theft
Thieves do a thriving business in stolen cars, apparently – there are more than a million stolen cars in the U.S. every year. Car theft accounts for more than ten percent of all reported crimes annually in the United States.

Aggravated Assault
Violent crime comes into the top 5 most common crimes in the United States at number four on the list. According to Princeton.edu, aggravated assault is defined as an attack with intent to cause grave injury to another, and can involve a weapon. With or without a weapon, aggravated assault accounts for about 7 percent of all reported crimes.

Robbery
Robbery comes in at number five on the top five most common crimes in the United States. Robbery is not simple theft – it is a violent crime, and theft performed directly on a person or place. If you are ever mugged, that is robbery. A stick-up of a grocery or liquor store clerk is robbery. There are close to half a million robberies each year in the United States, and they account for about 3 percent of all crime.
Which of these top 5 most reported crimes are morally neutral?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-03-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How many people shop at Whole Foods compared with Walmart?
I don't know. Casual observation suggests that at any given time (that is, whenever I happen to be in one) there are likely to be more people shopping at the local Whole Foods than in the WalMart grocery section. OTOH, I think there's only one WF around here, and maybe half a dozen WMs within say a 25 mile radius.

Quote:
The statistics don't lie: ...

40% of women are obese. Not just a lot overweight, but obese to the point of having serious health threats.
Did I claim otherwise? No, I said that (from my observation at least) the obese ones tend to shop at WalMart, the lean ones as Whole Foods. Cause and effect? Maybe, but if so, which way?

Of course that self-selection works in other ways, too. I very seldom meet anyone more than moderately overweight when I'm out hiking or biking, for instance.

Quote:
Police aren't running the lawyer calculus when they are arresting people who are breaking the law, and they aren't randomly throwing people into jail.
And which imaginary utopia do you live in, then? Though I agree it's not strictly random, it's more like "That guy looks like a lowlife scumbag, let's hassle him and see what happens", with me having been that lowlife scumbag more times than I care to recall. While now that I have a good bit of money, the police seem not to be that interested (fingers crossed!).

Quote:
It's morally deficient to rationalize criminal behavior as an inevitable consequence of low economic standing, and broadly asserting that law enforcement is a gang of predators looking for easy prey is disgusting.
I agree that it's disgusting. It's also true. Not only do they look for easy prey, they work to create more crime, by e.g. supporting the insane "War on Drugs".

Perhaps where you live, cops spend their time on burglary, assault, and so on. Hereabouts they seem a lot more concerned with things like doing sting operations to catch bars serving underage drinkers.

Last edited by jamesqf; 05-05-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #125 (permalink)
Not Doug

How about finding my obviously-autistic brother on his knees and surrounded by the police?

Mom and I talked to them for a couple of minutes and they let me take him home without accusing him of anything.

I needed to use my old Army exercises to help me fall asleep so that I would not lie there and worry what could have happened.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #126 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Casual observation suggests that at any given time (that is, whenever I happen to be in one) there are likely to be more people shopping at the local Whole Foods than in the WalMart grocery section.
I never know if you're being purposely deceptive, or simply enjoy being disagreeable. Walmart net sales in 2017 is 485.87B, Whole Foods is 16.03B. Over half of Walmart's revenue is groceries, or over 15x larger than Whole Foods.

Your argument that a foreigner's perception of US citizens being overweight due to selection bias is absurd. What reason is there for casting doubt on the reality of the US weight problem other than patriotic pride?

Here's an old chart (it's much worse now) showing the US propensity to deny reality even as the problem gets worse.

Quote:
And which imaginary utopia do you live in, then? Though I agree it's not strictly random, it's more like "That guy looks like a lowlife scumbag, let's hassle him and see what happens", with me having been that lowlife scumbag more times than I care to recall...

I agree that it's disgusting. It's also true. Not only do they look for easy prey, they work to create more crime, by e.g. supporting the insane "War on Drugs".

Perhaps where you live, cops spend their time on burglary, assault, and so on. Hereabouts they seem a lot more concerned with things like doing sting operations to catch bars serving underage drinkers.
I've been to prison and have never lived in utopia. Police respond to the description of the suspect given to them by dispatch, not by "random hassling". Also, if you were a lowlife scumbag, then being "hassled" by the cops is warranted. How many of those times were you falsely arrested with charges brought against you?

The legitimacy of the war on drugs is a completely separate discussion and has nothing to do with the topic of which categories of people are breaking the law. Police aren't trained on legislating law, they are trained to enforce it. If you have a problem with laws, then take it up with your congressperson.

There is much room for improvement in the way law enforcement is conducted, but the claim of racism or capitalism being the primary cause of disproportionate criminal representation is worse than nonsense. It's worse because it can only serve to distract from the real problems, and merely prolongs it as we waste time wallowing in ignorance.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #127 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How many of those times were you falsely arrested with charges brought against you?
It happened twice to me, but all charges were dropped before trial.

"A few extra pounds."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36de57a70-4665-4556-9921-4d0828b94451.2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	24094  

Old 05-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #128 (permalink)
Banned

Equality :

Now I bet many man will start to develop "feminine skills", like get in shape, bodybuilting, target some uggly or fat women with a lot of money, and ask divorce afetr a couple years.

Some feminst wants that only the word of women to be legaly considered enough to jail hin. But look how some women are :

A false acusation, if intentional, should get the same sentence as the alleged crime would. On Brazil there is a project for this, but feminists said it would move away victims from accuse. Some man got HIV on prison, sice they use to rape mans convicted of rapist
Some feminsm don't care if man are raped due fake allegations.
With such crazy women like that going on web and among feminsts, I bet police are less prone to belive in real female victims of rape.

Back to race thematic and crimes. The worse enemy of black eople is the street black culture, the culture that do not target moral but only listen to funk and rapers music, the culture who target drugs and basketkball only. The mother who get babies without marriage and without money or ways to educate and give moral values.
And it's the culture that is widespread by meadia, music industry, for blacks. A culture (or minds liek said a fellow forum member) for fail.

Last edited by All Darc; 05-04-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #129 (permalink)
Banned

He put a hiden video camera in the TAXI cause he was tired of women who refused to pay for the service. It was just shout "rape, raper!!!" to get out of the bill.
Like I use to say, you only really knows how evil people are when you give them a lot of power !

No need proofs for rape, just female word as absolute. Is It like reversed gender Thaliban ???

"Israel, women fought long and hard for equal rights and have achieved success, they work, climb the career ladder and serve in the army, just like men. They also have strict laws protecting them from domestic violence and abuse. Many Israeli men though worry that the pendulum has swung too far and that what started as equality, is rapidly turning into all out repression.
The main complaint from Israeli men is the fear that too many women are using accusations of sexual harassment and even attempted rape as an instrument of manipulation and intimidation. If a woman makes false accusations of sexual assault, it’s up to the man to prove it’s not true. Accuse a man of theft and you have to prove it, accuse him of rape and there’s no presumption of innocence. A woman who fabricates such allegations faces no legal repercussions, and so risks nothing, while a man’s life and reputation could be irrevocably destroyed.
RT Doc meets Israeli men who have been victimised by malicious falsehood. The accusers may be total strangers or former partners but these men learned the hard way that innocence alone is not always a defence. Even though the laws may have been designed to promote equality, there will always be people willing and eager to take advantage. Lady Justice is meant to be blind but in Israel, she’s no stranger to female solidarity!"

Maybe it will be the future in other countries, like France, England, or perhaps USA.
Maybe a videocamera 24 hours a day may cecime essential for all man.

I bet many feminsts will say that any man who disagrees with the idea of this crazy law, it's a pig sexistr rapist.

Last edited by All Darc; 05-04-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #130 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
And it's the culture that is widespread by meadia, music industry, for blacks. A culture (or minds liek said a fellow forum member) for fail.
I took a sociology class about 10 years ago, and we went through the entire textbook but skipped the section on "Cultural Poverty". We were instructed to not even discuss the topic of cultural values and how they might impact various behaviors.

This is an example of how worthless "higher" education is. Universities aren't looking for solutions to problems, the're looking for victims and victimizers.

Quote:
No need proofs for rape, just female word as absolute.
My worthless anecdote is that in middle school, I was talking quietly to a friend about a particular nasty girl and how nasty she was. That friend looked up at her, and she realized we were talking about her. She walked over and punched me in the face, and we both got detention.

I asked why I'm being punished and the answer was that fighting is not permitted. When I mentioned that it wasn't a fight that I was involved in, but instead my face was in the way of her fist, their answer was that it takes 2 to fight.

Another time in grade school I was flipping a quarter I had brought to school. Some nasty girl accused me of stealing her quarter so the principal confiscated it. He then asked me what date was printed on the quarter, and I didn't know, so he gave it to the girl. He then gave me detention for lying about stealing the quarter. In other words, I get robbed and serve detention for the crime.

All that said, protection of women is highly important because they are generally at a physical disadvantage.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread