Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHedrm View Post
Thanks.

Mine's pretty much loaded, everything but the DSG ("auto" trans). I even got Nav, which has turned out to be a fun toy.

Of course that also means it came in only about $3000 under a base A3 TDI.
Yeah, the Audi is a bit pricey. How does the cargo-carrying look when you have the back seats folded? Did you take a look at the Jetta Sportswagen, too?

EDIT: Also, how was the dealer experience? I have to admit, I've been a little leery of VW's just because I've seen a lot of feedback (mostly from TDIClub.com) about poor dealer service.... That is one reason the Audi remains on the list, even though it's much more expensive.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Golf TDI - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 37.69 mpg (US)
Well, the Audi is better optioned by default, but the interior on the new VWs is still pretty high end. I looked at the JSW last summer, but once I found out the Golf was not only coming as a TDI, but on an updated platform as well, the Golf won easily ... so I ordered this one in December. It doesn't have as much cargo space as the JSW (Golf<A3<JSW) but the other day a friend's new 47" LCD TV laid down in the back (with the seats down) like it was made for it.

As for dealers, like all makes, it's a mixed bag. There are a few guys that help out over on VWVortex and I think one of them is in your area. Check out The Official MkVI Ask a Salesperson Thread. Scan the first page of posts for the basics, then jump right in (it's up to 208 pages or so).

Driven: 2010 VW Golf TDI
Driven less: 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225)
Parked: 1982 VW Jetta Diesel
Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHedrm View Post
Well, the Audi is better optioned by default, but the interior on the new VWs is still pretty high end. I looked at the JSW last summer, but once I found out the Golf was not only coming as a TDI, but on an updated platform as well, the Golf won easily ... so I ordered this one in December. It doesn't have as much cargo space as the JSW (Golf<A3<JSW) but the other day a friend's new 47" LCD TV laid down in the back (with the seats down) like it was made for it.

As for dealers, like all makes, it's a mixed bag. There are a few guys that help out over on VWVortex and I think one of them is in your area. Check out The Official MkVI Ask a Salesperson Thread. Scan the first page of posts for the basics, then jump right in (it's up to 208 pages or so).

I actually went with a friend to an Audi dealer yesterday and looked at an A3 TDI. The cargo space didn't look bad with the seats folded down, although unfortunately we didn't test-drive it (my friend didn't like the styling, and I don't think it was 'luxury' enough for him, so we tested an A4 instead.)

We also took a Lexus HS250h for a test-drive, and I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with it...between the air conditioning not working (on a demonstrator? Really? And it was almost 80*F here yesterday!) the "A" pillar causing a small blind spot, what felt (at least to me in the passenger seat,) like uneven power delivery, and a lack of folding rear seats, it confirmed in my mind that diesel is the way I want to go for more fuel efficiency.... The joystick controller for the nav/computer was neat, though.

We probably won't buy a new car for a couple of years still, but I'm definitely interested in anything you have to say about the Golf TDI. Enjoy your new car!
The Following User Says Thank You to jkp1187 For This Useful Post:
MaxHedrm (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

By the time you buy the demand should have tapered a bit. Maybe you won't have to wait so long to get it when you finally jump in. Also, by then, there may be a TDI version of the new Jetta available in Wagon form. It's actually kind of a mystery how they are going to handle that. The current Jetta platform is slated to be replaced, but they updated (only) the front end on the JSW this year since it's a Golf Variant/Wagon/whatever everywhere else in the world. The wagon usually trails the sedan/hatch by a bit when it is revamped, but this is the first time the Jetta & Golf will be a different platform, so who knows.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 4Runner - '98 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 23.21 mpg (US)

Grey Jetta TDI - '11 VW Jetta
90 day: 39.17 mpg (US)
Now if they would only bring the Golf with the 1.6 litre engine to the US. I don't know why they think we wouldn't want that as an optional engine. I for one would enjoy the 60+ MPG.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What kind of MPG are you pulling now that its broke in? I am looking at getting a TDI Golf to replace my Metro when it rusts away.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by srortega View Post
Now if they would only bring the Golf with the 1.6 litre engine to the US. I don't know why they think we wouldn't want that as an optional engine. I for one would enjoy the 60+ MPG.
Considering how narrow the margins are on the German built Golf TDIs, I don't think it's a matter of us not wanting it so much as not enough of us wanting it to ever pay for the certification of the engine for the US. I for one still would have gone for the 2.0 if the 1.6 was available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodfeguy View Post
What kind of MPG are you pulling now that its broke in? I am looking at getting a TDI Golf to replace my Metro when it rusts away.
Well, it's not really broken in yet. Still only halfway through my second tank. This one looks to be a bit better than the last though.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yea my 06 TDI has been going up since I bought it. I only have 50K on it but its keeps getting better, even thought its tappering off now so I think this is as good as its going to get.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Up to 39.4 for my second tank!

I'm trying out B5 from Green Spot this time. I wonder if it will effect my mileage noticeably.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just a tiny little increase this tank at 39.7. That included a lot more air conditioning though. & I think it's time to check my tires. It also involved a bit of furniture hauling ... so a good bit more weight was in the car a few times. It's creeping up though, so that is good.

Reply  Post New Thread