Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes ,I now see your need ,although finding such a sensor with a reasonable price might be
a challenge ,I had been experimenting with various cheap sensors ,but their limitations pushed me in the direction of ultrasonic time of flight detection ,I gave up on this when my carbureted T100 engine broke & then went EFI for my subsequent vehicles since.
The paddle sensor that I had some useful results from was the flowfuel 30L02 from futurlec.com rated at 85 psi ,this sensor has a magnet in the paddle wheel and from memory a hall sensor ,very similar operation to the original zemco sensor.
The data sheet is not exactly correct , but at $10.00 !
Tp

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great 85PSI will cover my current cars, a 93 Chevy TBI at under 20PSI and a 03 Crown Vic with under 60PSi.

It is ideal: https://www.futurlec.com/sensor/flowfuel30l0.shtml

2 Liters is .5283 Gallon per hour

30 Liters is 7.92 Gallon per hour

Ideal would be low reading of 1 Liter which would be around .26 Gallons. There is a good chance it will read lower, just they cannot be 100% sure of its accuracy at that rate.

Which is faintly possible if I can ever get a 100% vapor system up and running.

Per my Scan Gauge II and MPGunio I have seen gallons per hour at idle of around .5, and at cruse around 3 to 6 gallons per hour.

Realistic I can only hope for somewhere around 1 gallon per hour goal.

A good cruse of 35 MPG and 1700 RPMs can run around 2 gallons per.

Thanks.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTestPilot View Post
Yes ,I now see your need ,although finding such a sensor with a reasonable price might be
a challenge ,I had been experimenting with various cheap sensors ,but their limitations pushed me in the direction of ultrasonic time of flight detection ,I gave up on this when my carbureted T100 engine broke & then went EFI for my subsequent vehicles since.
The paddle sensor that I had some useful results from was the flowfuel 30L02 from futurlec.com rated at 85 psi ,this sensor has a magnet in the paddle wheel and from memory a hall sensor ,very similar operation to the original zemco sensor.
The data sheet is not exactly correct , but at $10.00 !
Tp

Last edited by racprops; 10-17-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Old 10-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cheap fuel flow sensor

An internal of the sensor in question ,you can see two 3mm magnets in the paddle crossbar ,normally it comes with one ,i have added the second for better sensitivity, I did at one stage spot mill the the top cover and fit 4 hall effect devices (one magnet fitted) to give more sensitivity , the four outputs were joined together & fed into an mpguino with some success, although low speed was an issue due to sticktion(is that a word?),I did have the engine idle at 15;1 AFR ,cruise ratio 15:5 (2.2 litre 4y toyota),with a larger engine like your Crown you may get better results withe an overall higher fuel demand.
I will have a dig for my notes & post anything else that may be useful.

Tp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flowsensor.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	29373  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTestPilot For This Useful Post:
mort (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They are reported to accurate at .52 a gallon per hour....

So two magnets should cut that to .27 gallons per.

I did not fully understand, did you have to cut into the body to get to the fan to add more magnets??

Are they the two black dots?? Which looked like small allen head screws??

And/OR did you add four hall effect sensors?? That could quad the readings getting down to .1320 or .132 gallon per.

So with two magnets as well, that could lower that to .066 Gallons per...

Well IF I was able to get a system (I do have a plan of one) to run with 100% vapor conversion of the gasoline, then I hope to be using 30% of the fuel normally used, then it is possible to only use .14 a gallon per hour.

This number is based on cursing at 65MPH at 1700 RPMs and normally burning 2 Gallons per hour and IF the claim of needing only 30% of that 2 gallon so 2 times.07= .14 gallon...

So again a totally insane maybe ...Then I might want that low a range...

But I suspect such a count range will be beyond the Zemco system, but at that point I would be most likely happy with a MPGunio OR just add a divide by certain number ICs to lower the range for the Zemco.

So please do share.

Rich
Old 10-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the two black dots are the magnets ,one was fitted when purchased and the hole for the second one was already formed ,can't remember but i had some small cylyndrical magnets from RS or Digikey that fitted (1/8 x 1/8")pushed in with no work.

The rotor sits on a shft with the end sharp like a pencil to reduce sticking from too much surface area drag between the shaft & rotor.

The top of the sensor is held on by four screws sealed with a o ring ,I purchased four sensors units from futurlec over two years & they all were the same.
Initially I tried the two magnets fiitted to the rotor & the original single hall sensor fitted to the lid ,when this showed promise , I machined the lid of a second sensor assy for four hall effect devices & used one magnet in the rotor ,it worked ok except at idle ,where there was not enough fuel flow to rotate the rotor reliably.
I should also mention the Zemco sensor suffered from reading fuel vapour bubbles ,it was almost a full blown r&d project back in the 90's to get around this problem with smaller low flow engines ,this problem wasn't apparent on my 308 & 327 cid engines ,but otherwise the Zemco units were good.

Tp
Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great I think I will just add the second Magnet.

Also I believe there maybe some count doubler ICs that might work...

Thanks.

I plan on ordering four as well from the start.

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread