Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2024, 01:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,689 Times in 7,162 Posts
The green house could be retractable. But a teardropped reverse trike would be preferable

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2024, 09:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,714 Posts
Solar showers are... interesting.

The four of us filled a 26' truck--with plenty that didn't fit, a bunch in storage, and a ton back at Mom's house.
Most of that is Mom's and my wife and I have moved much more of Mom's stuff than Mom has, but Mom has done much more than she did last time.
She also said that she got dizzy walking to the car to get boxes.
My wife is doing everything she can, but she is still recovering from surgery.
They removed 2" of skin and didn't sew her up, saying she needs to heal from the infection first.
However, they made it sound like they won't sew her up when she overcomes the infection, she needs to regrow 2" of skin!
She sees the surgeon again tomorrow and I am hoping he gives her a note excusing her from much more work.
I will be using a great deal of those student loans, but she needs to heal!

People from Church helped us move, but we didn't get a hold of anyone in our new congregation, so I paid professionals $750, and we are doing the normal routine of figuring out the new home, where all of our stuff is, etc.
I let my brother pick his room and laid down after a long day, but Mom said the garage door was broken.
Her garage door is broken at her house.
Our garage door is broken at our old house.
What is wrong with the garage door in our new house?!
The opener doesn't work, but I can still open and close it manually.
Then Mom made a big deal out of she and my brother sleeping in the living room.
She demanded he switched rooms with her, so I had him help me move their furniture.
I made his bed and tried to get him to lie down to ensure everything is comfortable, but he immediately left the room, and refused to return.
One of the conditions of renting the house is leaving custom bunk beds in one room, but neither of them will sleep on it.
I set up my brother's bed in the living room, but he refused to make it, or tell me where he was sleeping that night.
Mom demanded that I check the water heater and I said "I can't, there are four feet of junk piled in front of it."
Well, that was the worst possible response, so I had my brother help me move four feet of junk.
The water heater is gas.
On Wednesday, the landlady gave us some numbers to call to set up utilities, and I wondered if I needed to set up gas, but I was so preoccupied with packing that I didn't see if I needed to connect the gas.
They won't connect it until Wednesday.
We don't have hot water for three days.

There is a garden in the backyard, including this 55-gallon drum, which is full of water:

I don't have any idea what the previous tenant did with it, there isn't a spigot near the bottom like with the one that I left in Show Low, and I haven't seen a pump.

The cheapest one that I found locally is $65, doesn't fit a standard hose, and this isn't necessarily in direct sunlight, but this small backyard has two palms and at least a few trees.

The palms aren't tall, but the trunk is spiky and super wide.

The backyard doesn't get much direct sunlight, which actually seems pretty nice.

There is a nice and big covered patio, too, which we are enjoying.

Mom wants her picnic table there.

I just need to tighten all of the fasteners again!

...and move it from Gilbert.

I was thinking of something like this:

I couldn't find anything to suspend the solar shower 8' above the ground and based on my experience, that is far too little!

I found places selling popup tents like that for $60-80, but I couldn't find a battery-operated pump, just a hand-pump one, but I thought that I could hang it high enough.

I thought wrong--mostly.

Why put shower outside when inside do trick?

A smoke detector chirped and we have vaulted ceilings, so I spent $100 on a telescoping ladder to replace a $5 9-volt battery.

Lowe's has a longer one on-sale for $90, but it isn't sold in-store, as far as I can tell, and it wouldn't arrive until after we have hot water.

Annoyingly, stores no longer seem to advertise how tall ladders are, but how high you could reach if you stood on one.

My wife suggested putting the feet in the tub, which works, it is just at a greater angle than I would like, thus lower.

My $100 8.5-foot ladder kind of worked, but I needed to crouch on the shower floor to get under the water.

The top of the ladder is about 8' high, and when I attached the 2' hose and the showerhead, it was only about 3' from the floor!

I would have cut 1" off the hose and attached the showerhead directly to the bag, but I just used the spigot directly.

I wish that I could have suspended the solar heater at least 9' from the floor.

The water didn't come out very fast or warm, but I didn't get them until 4pm, and didn't have the time to shower until 9pm, so it would have been warmer.
It sure was a pain to bring a half-full cheap Walmart garbage can into the bathroom.
I should have brought the water in with buckets.
Then I couldn't find anything to wear but my Mario costume! ��

Edit!
I hoped that the water would be warmer the second night since I put it out in the morning--and I hoped to use it when the sun was going down, but family...

I hauled my brother's bath water in using a 3-gallon bucket.
It had a nice handle, I just wish that I had a 5-gallon version, it took a ton of trips!

I could have brought in the garbage can sooner.

The water was nice and warm, but when I went to hang up the bag, the hook broke.
I got another and it broke, too!

I removed the cargo strap from my wardrobe box.
Sure, you aren't supposed to use the top step.
In fact, you are specifically prohibited from it, but I didn't realize that the top rung isn't load-bearing.
It bent disturbingly under the weight, so I wished that I had a 2x4 to zip-tie to it, which would have given me another 1.5".
However, I was able to pull the handle over the top, so the spigot was at least 5.5' high, and I could have had it a bit higher, so it was all right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f4GqyVQ.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	34790   Click image for larger version

Name:	HnnHb8X.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	34791   Click image for larger version

Name:	eMe4wO3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	34792  

Last edited by Xist; 06-25-2024 at 03:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,001 Posts
Obviously orange or blue store know people will buy the cheapest thing. If you need to reach 8 ft you can buy either an 8 ft ladder or a 6 ft and stretch. Suprise the 6ft one is $30 cheaper step ladder.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

Would a black bucket with a spigot make a better solar shower?

I guess that it depends on whether you want to hang it from something or set it on a shelf.

I am sure there are far more places to hang something, compared to setting, but if you have a camper, you can set it on top.

I found this for $38:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...E-NDkQDCw4I0Yg

Or you could add a spigot to a $5 black bucket.

I am sure that people would prefer to roll up a solar shower when not in use, but if you allow this to dry after use, you can store your sleeping bag and stuff inside.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:06 AM   #25 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,001 Posts
Metal buckets work better. The baggie showers heat faster, but tend to have surprise leaks just when you ant to use them
Old 06-27-2024, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White or translucent bucket painted with
Quote:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com › smart-news › artists-can-now-get-their-hands-worlds-blackest-paint-180964512
Artists Can Now Buy One of the World's Blackest Blacks
Singularity Black is a dark paint created by NanoLab under contract with NASA, which can make even the most textured surfaces appear flat. It is not as dark as Vantablack, but it is available for all artists to purchase and use, unlike the exclusive Vantablack.
What about the topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I have spent enough on rentals to buy an old truck, van, box truck, etc., and when I mentioned this to my wife, she asked if we could convert it into a camper afterward.
edit:
For a metal bucket: duckduckgo.com/?q=ash+bucket&ia=web Comes with a bail, lid and about 5 gallon capacity.

Last edited by freebeard; 06-27-2024 at 04:41 PM..
Old 06-27-2024, 04:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

It is 110°.

We were supposed to do our second load last night, but Mom suddenly felt horribly dizzy, and by the time she felt better, we decided to wait until the morning.
I wanted to be loading the truck by 05, but I woke up my brother, and asked him to get dressed and help us after 07.

I just needed to use the convenient Uhaul app, which required an inconvenient 50-minute phone call, and then we didn't have much time before the follow-up appointment to my wife's recent emergency surgery.

I took my brother to get breakfast, picked up my wife, drove back to the house, and we spent another 2 hours and 20 minutes loading a 15-foot truck, which was as much stuff as my sister drove to to Oregon.

We have more stuff than my sister did.

We still have two refrigerators and this case I bought for all of the toys that my brother bought just since we moved:

There are other things that would have fit on the truck, but we need a 15' truck for the refrigerators.

We need to fix the garage door, our bedroom door, and I hope that is all!

Mow and trim the lawn, trim the weeds...

We need to have the carpet cleaned professionally!

Got to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billy case.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	34813  
freebeard (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,411 Posts
Quote:
I will be using a great deal of those student loans, but she needs to heal!
I hope you aren't talking about using student loans to pay medical bills because that is a really bad idea.

1. Student loans in general cannot be discharged even in bankruptcy - they follow you for life. Medical debt can be discharged in bankruptcy

2. Your student loans are at what - 8% interest? Medical debt you can negotiate a discount and then set up a payment plan. Generally that payment plan has little or no interest as long as you are making payments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (06-28-2024), redpoint5 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Waiting for a Thanks from OP.

Reply  Post New Thread