Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2024, 11:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Please tell me how much her surgery cost me and how much money I have left from student loans!

Thanks!
Do you even know how much money you have left from your student loans? The last message on that topic you said:

Quote:
Saving the world with $88,000

Nothing worked right when I needed more student loans and then I accidentally accepted all of them--and then couldn't get the money for 3 months.

I don't know how much I actually accepted and how much I actually got, but on top of charging 8% interest starting when I was approved, 90 days before I was able to spend any of it, they charged the equivalent of about 6 months interest to generate the loan.

I haven't specifically done anything with it.
I don't need to know how much her surgery cost. Spending any amount of student loans on medical bills is a bad idea. It really is that simple. It is a short term solution with potentially lifetime consequences.

A huge number of people get in trouble with student loans because they take out as much as they can - use it for living expenses and other items, and then when the graduate they are in mountains of debt that they cannot pay back. Don't wall into that trap - take only the amount you need to actually pay for school and return the rest.

Banks WILL give you more in student loans that you can reasonably expect to pay because they know they have your lifetime to collect interest on that debt while the principle accumulates.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2024, 01:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
I tried adding up the expenses at Permalink #30. It's somewhere North of $1600 without any vehicle rentals. I trust that's out of some regular cash flow, not a student loan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH
1. Student loans in general cannot be discharged even in bankruptcy - they follow you for life. Medical debt can be discharged in bankruptcy
The most spectacular student loan crash-and-burn will be when the Supreme Court holds the Executive to task over ignoring them on the student loan question. That's why all the King! Thug! hysteria.

Old 07-11-2024, 06:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
The surgery cost $1,270 and I am paying interest on the student loans whether or not I use them.
I still have $40,644.93 in checking, having spent $18,555.93 in the month of June, including the last month at my old place, first, last, and the deposit for this place, and all moving expenses.
I rented three Uhauls, but I think that those cost $124.25, $117.33, and $173.77 respectively.
I paid Uhaul $52.23, $97.94, and $36.55 for different supplies on top of what I purchased elsewhere.

In #30, I mentioned $750 for movers to unload the 26-foot truck, $170 for movers to move a refrigerator and dresser after the scorpion stung me, $367 to fix the garage door, and all kinds of money trying to replace the bedroom door.

That very well totaled $1,600.

I spent $267 to not get all of the stains out of the carpet.

I wanted to rent a carpet cleaner and go over it a bunch of times with just hot water, but I didnÂ’t get home until 03 the morning after we were supposed to be out.

It turns out they are renovating, so how much will they deduct from my deposit for a door that was already damaged, and carpets that were already stained?

After I believe three attempts and three error messages, I think that I finally changed my renter insurance to the new house.
It shows the current address.

After I believe three attempts and three error messages, I think that I finally received a refund for the packing paper that everyone forgot.

I finally called, dealt with the system that kept telling me to download the app.
The app, as well as the site, kept giving me error messages.

Someone finally refunded something that cost $4.39 more, saying he didnÂ’t see the order that still shows up as ready for pick-up.

After I believe three attempts and three error messages, I think that I finally canceled the dictation app that I shouldnÂ’t need anymore, since all classes are through Zoom, and Zoom allows me to turn on automatic transcription, and download a transcript at the end, I have built-in notetaking as long as I remember, so I will continue to be in trouble.

I have my laptop sitting here because it froze twice in a couple of days and I feel the need to troubleshoot that before resuming classes on Monday.

I only kept 3 clients when I started grad school and havenÂ’t seen them much with finals, finding a house, moving, being stung by a scorpion, etc.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
The surgery cost $1,270 and I am paying interest on the student loans whether or not I use them.
I still have $40,644.93 in checking, having spent $18,555.93 in the month of June, including the last month at my old place, first, last, and the deposit for this place, and all moving expenses.
If you pay back the loan money you don't need for school you will stop paying interest on that portion of the loan. You don't have to pay back the loan over the full term - you can prepay it to reduce the interest. (Unless you took out really crappy loans that have prepayment penalties).

It sounds like you took out extra loan money and just having it sitting in a checking account likely earning much less than the interest you are paying to hold that money.
Old 07-12-2024, 01:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

Checking accounts generally don’t pay interest.

I signed up for one that did, but the card didn’t arrive, and they didn’t let me get the deal.

My brother has a weird obsession with exiting the door he entered, and everything that enters the car exiting through the same door or window, which we somehow always forget.

We bought my wife a frozen lemonade from Salad and Go, which wasn’t frozen at all.

When we finally returned home, I went to open the front door before helping unload the car, my brother put my wife’s lemonade on the center console, and I don’t know whether it fell on its own or Mom knocked it over while doing the Peasant Chicken Dance, which I am too rich to understand, but regardless, it fell on the floor, spilling everywhere.

I had my brother try to mop up the liquid with old hand towels. put them and the carpet and Motor Trend floormats, whatever good they are, in the garbage can I bought, and soaked them:

They are all right in the front, but altogether too small in the back, and none of them stay put, but I guess they are worth $30.

I have been in one or more Ubers with floormats that seemed specifically designed to fit perfectly, and they went up the sides of the car, not just sitting on the floor itself, so they should have caught much more of the spills.

I don't know how many times my family has spilled drinks in my car.
I am sure that I have done it from time to time also, but not a full drink completely emptied on the floor.

Usually red.

I have always been able to get it out and have been able to get out most other stains, but it can take a long time.

This would be the perfect time to spray the blue Dawn and hydrogen peroxide mix, scrub it down, vacuum, rinse, and repeat until it comes out clean, but my shop vac is in Show Low, and I don't have the time.

I don't like driving dirty cars.

This is the $30 Motor Trend ones:

I don't know why spills seem much more common in the back seat, but there are two styles of WeatherTech mats. I would rather have this one, it doesn't seem to go as high on the sides, but covers more under the seats. However, that seems designed for Camries with power front passenger seats, and mine is manual:

I was tempted to buy them, although $202 seemed excessive.

I couldn't find other floormats specifically designed for my car, just generic ones, and those aren't going to protect as well.

I kept thinking that I was better off just removing stains periodically, but I was about to order it to save myself time in the future when I saw that the $202 floormats don't have free shipping like the $30 ones do, they charge $18, plus $17 tax.

$237.06 for floormats!

I only spent $250 for my second Accord!

I tried using my three add-ons for finding deals, but they didn't do anything, so I did it the old-fashioned way--but there isn't anywhere to enter a coupon code.

Supposedly, there are codes for resellers, but the only one that worked was 15% off at eBay.

Still $88.12 for one floor mat for the back seats, but hopefully it will help.

Now I need to figure out what is wrong with my laptop, but I am pretty sure that I will order a new one so I don't have a problem during my last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	34872   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	34873   Click image for larger version

Name:	71Lzg0+D0TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	34874  
Old 07-12-2024, 09:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Sounds like you are trying to justify spending your extra student loan money on completely unrelated things.

Pay back the extra money ASAP. This is your COVID loan all over again.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Too much about money and not enough about the hitch-mounted cargo outhouse.

Old 07-14-2024, 08:47 AM   #38 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Sounds like you are trying to justify spending your extra student loan money on completely unrelated things.
Moving when we lost our lease?

I just wanted to add lights to our ceiling fan before trying to take care of a million and ten things before returning to school on Monday, but they didn't work, so I took apart a ceiling fan that already had lights.

The wires broke, so I patched them with wagos, but they still don't work.

I guess that I need to hire an electrician over a $15 light.
Old 07-14-2024, 11:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

[QUOTE=Xist;694288]Moving when we lost our lease?

"I still have $40,644.93 in checking"

If you have $40,644.93 in checking - you don't need student loans. If that is loan money you took WAY too much out and should repay way you don't need so you aren't paying interest on a loan you didn't need. Again - this is a bigger version of your COVID loan.

Using student loans to pay for living expenses is a bad idea. Before you mentioned $88,000. How do you expect to pay back $88K? - the payment WILL come due 6 months after you stop school.

$88K @ 4.5% for 10 years (standard payment plan) is $912 per month.
Old 07-14-2024, 01:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But what about about the hitch-mounted cargo outhouse?

Reply  Post New Thread