Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #61 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogjax View Post
Hazard lights are a hazard. When you have your hazard lights on during normal driving (i.e., following the posted traffic regulations... 55-70MPH), you gum up traffic waaaaay worse then any 55MPH operation ever could.
Untrained drivers here in Florida have started a trend of turning on hazard lights in the rain. Guess it's the new "all about me" attitiude... "I'm the center of the universe - clear out, look out, coming through!"

When untrained drivers operate at normal speed in the rain with flashers on, they remove the traffic flow alert provided by brake lighting. A tap (or stand) of the brake up ahead means "get ready to adjust speed" behind.
Ill-conceived and improper hazard flasher use causes accidents. Period.
If you are driving at speed on the highway with hazard flashers on - YOU'RE the hazard.
You know that almost all vehicles have a standard equipped high mount brake light for exactly this reason, right?

Your apparent distaste for the trend probably helped you forget that it's not as necessarily unsafe as you might initially believe, or profess too others.

If it's raining, heavily or otherwise, you should increase your following distance to increase your available reaction time, thus, your margin of safety.

If a person either briskly applies, or lightly applies the brakes, the difference in speed means that you will begin approaching the vehicle ahead of you - a visual cue that you need to slow or brake.

A good driver relies on MUCH more than the actions of other (probably not so good) drivers to determine a series of actions necessary for the situation. It's the cumulative information gleaned from those inputs that is important, not whether you can see three brake lights, or two blinking lights and a single brake light.

P.s.- It's not just near you, and it was started by motorists observing commercial vehicles. What's good for the goose...

Last edited by Christ; 05-31-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Please cite a source with specific information (such as a vehicle code reference) for number two.

Last I was aware, interstate highways were covered by federal administration, and only subject to local enforcement of the laws which applied to them, hence large vehicles having the legal ability to remain in the right lane while traveling significantly alter than the flow of traffic, or the posted speed limit, as the case may be.

Because rules of the NHTSA, FMCSA, and Federal Dept of Transportation laws state that the rules of the road are universally applicable, it is also perfectly legal for commuter cars and other small vehicles to travel below the legal posted speed limit, to some extent, in the right most travel lane.

If you can prove otherwise, please do.
1995 National Highway Designation Act returned all control of speed limits and enforcement to the state. This allowed states to determine maximum and minimum speed limits. If its posted, its illegal to drive above or below it.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
1995 National Highway Designation Act returned all control of speed limits and enforcement to the state. This allowed states to determine maximum and minimum speed limits. If its posted, its illegal to drive above or below it.
IF it's posted.

If a mandatory speed it posted at all, it won't be the upper speed limit either.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #64 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
Then why aren't loads of truckers and loaded/trailering pickups being fined on a daily basis?

You still haven't provided evidence of your claims that it is factually illegal to travel at a speed lower than the posted speed limit, while there is plenty of easily seen evidence suggesting the contrary.

Another example which suggests otherwise is that during inclement weather, it is recommended by (at least my local) DOT that drivers slow for road conditions to a safe speed, which assumes, based on your insights, that they're suggesting you break the law.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Then why aren't loads of truckers and loaded/trailering pickups being fined on a daily basis?

You still haven't provided evidence of your claims that it is factually illegal to travel at a speed lower than the posted speed limit, while there is plenty of easily seen evidence suggesting the contrary.

Another example which suggests otherwise is that during inclement weather, it is recommended by (at least my local) DOT that drivers slow for road conditions to a safe speed, which assumes, based on your insights, that they're suggesting you break the law.
Michigan MCL code states it is illegal, unless road conditions prevent it. It is a civil infraction. CODE 257.268. It states driving below 55 on the freeway, unless driving conditions prevent it or you have a special permit, is unlawful.

Ohio states $4211.22 states No person shall stop or operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or street car at such an unreasonably slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when stopping or reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or to comply with law.

In ohio, the criteria is the capability of the vehicle and driver. If the driver and vehicle are capable of maintaining the normal speed of traffic, it is a misdemeanor not to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quazar For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I think on florida hiways the minimum speed limit is 20mph under the max.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

This link provides an overview of it (click here).

Usually on interstate highways the minimum speed is 40 MPH (with good reason).

And it's neither wise nor safe to be traveling that speed deliberately, unless you are in the rightmost lane.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
yep, 40mph on the hiway is certainly a right lane maneuver.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Turtle

Boulderdash! There isn't a state in this country where you can't cruise legally at 50mph. In quieter areas, 45mph especially in daylight hrs., could be judged either way by the patroling officer. I have a bolt together trailer w instructions that it should never exceed 45mph. I would go w that anywhere in the states w BACKBONE! It's my economic choice to buy a $200 something trailer instead of an $800 welded trailer. One is not to exceed 40mph on the donut tires. Don't COW IN to your local CIVILIAN peer pressure! I feel very sorry for you if you live in an area like Chicago, or Boston; where it is nationally known for angry, very mean drivers. Maybe they think 85mph is a normal commuting speed.

As I mentioned before, it's usually open to local interpetation; but keep in mind that if your state is excited about this subject; it most likely will have MIN. speed signs posted along side the regular speed limit signs. I have personally seen the 40mph in Kansas, 45mph in L.A., and in the Salt Lake City area.

I look forward to getting my diesel Suburban out w my trailer, so I can try and break through to 30mpg at 45mph. I would pick my times, not TRYING to be annoying. For example, when both the state's colleges are having big home games which highly effect about 100 miles of only 2lane in each direction of 65mph limit. (OR) In WA., where its 70mph., I would be mostly on 3lane freeways. Since most of the HERD actually is rolling at 80mph or so; w the trailer in THOSE conditions, I probably would run my 4 way flashers, but NOT in a 60mph zone!

We have very few freedoms left! I intend to go down fighting for my right to drive/ride economically!!!! I think my HOT buttons have been fully activated!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

and thanks for your warning about Ohio, Michican, and Florida! I posted the above before seeing your posts. If that is how it really is there; now I know which states to boycott on my travels. I've heard of old wife stories from the 60's, that Texas used to push people to go faster via PA from their cars??????

Reply  Post New Thread