Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #81 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
And that link just proved the other poster completely incorrect.

Factually, not even a small majority of states, according to that link, outlaw the use of hazard lights.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think the original post was about getting the bird at on-ramps. IMHO the discussion has evolved to the point where it is obvious why some get the bird and others do not. Without judging anyone, and FWIW IMO one should learn to get along with traffic or get over being offended. Maybe both.
The Following User Says Thank You to fidalgoman For This Useful Post:
postmac (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #83 (permalink)

I pointed out that very few specifically disallow use.

There are only 50 states listed. DC is not a state, which raises several political points not welcome here.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
And that link just proved the other poster completely incorrect.

Factually, not even a small majority of states, according to that link, outlaw the use of hazard lights.
Yes he was wrong about all states, but it is true in most states, most meaning the greatest number or more than half. Its good information to have regardless.

My statement wasn’t wrong, though misunderstood, most states do at least have this on the books: No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic." This results in impeding traffic tickets.

Driving 50 in a 70, or 45 or whatever is impeding the flow (impeding: to retard or obstruct progress). In fact, I bet its almost all states. But I am not going to "PROVE" this.

In fact you’re from PA if I saw that correctly, you have a 15 mph minimal speed (15 under the max) limit on the books for the turnpike. I really wouldn't have thought this would be a surprise for you.

FYI next time you can prove I am wrong, because if you cant, you shouldn't be saying someone is wrong.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
Yes he was wrong about all states, but it is true in most states, most meaning the greatest number or more than half. Its good information to have regardless.

My statement wasn’t wrong, though misunderstood, most states do at least have this on the books: No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic." This results in impeding traffic tickets.

Driving 50 in a 70, or 45 or whatever is impeding the flow (impeding: to retard or obstruct progress). In fact, I bet its almost all states. But I am not going to "PROVE" this.

In fact you’re from PA if I saw that correctly, you have a 15 mph minimal speed (15 under the max) limit on the books for the turnpike. I really wouldn't have thought this would be a surprise for you.

FYI next time you can prove I am wrong, because if you cant, you shouldn't be saying someone is wrong.
The fact that most states have a rather ambiguous statement on the books doesn't make you correct, nor did I specifically say you were wrong, that I recall, without going back to read again.

What I did, in fact, do, was ask that both of you prove your statements, then provide evidence contrary to what you each had said initially. If you can't handle that, you may be on the wrong forum. I hope not, because you seem to have some pretty decent ability to provide insights thus far, and may be a valuable addition to our community.

I'm well aware of the minimum speed limit I'm Pennsylvania, and with some searching, you'll find that I've posted with regard to it before. You posted that it was illegal to travel below the speed limit, which, as I'm sure you were aware at the time, is normally in reference to the posted speed limit, which is universally recognizable by all drivers, as opposed to a minimum speed, which many states do not post, through they may or may not have a minimum legal speed limit.

P.S. Its not my job to prove you wrong when claims are made which are contrary to the observed normal. The subsequent posts after the first one made it look like you were correct all along, although the semantics of the first post may have been questionable.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fair enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quazar For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Turtle

I love the Passion that I'm feeling from everyone here
There is no doubt, that if the speed gap can be lessened, that all would be safer. We are not all in the $$$condition or to want to FLY w the higher speed crowd. It's unfortunate that any given freeway couldn't be at least 3 lanes. But I know you've both read other posts where people are in the right 2 lanes of a 5or6lane road, and still being terrorized!
I wish it could be like at the mall when you are walking...people pick their own speed an adjust. I never see anyone get excited in that scene, though maybe in NYC it happens... that's not high on my list...rubbing people w no room to breathe!!

I have traveled across the US several times in the 40-55mph range, towing, and not towing.. 2 places stand out as plain scary... I-80 in Nebraska at night...2 lanes.. most trucks going 80-85mph. Another for me is I-70 anywhere in Missouri.... up and down hills w only 2 lanes....One does a lot of mirror driving here if you want to live...when I would see 2 18whrs side by side bearing down, I'd signal and pull onto the right shoulder early enough to where neither of them had to think about me at all!

Until we get hydrogen cars, or get rich; a gap is pretty much here to stay. The future economic bad scene will help some When it arrives. But in the meantime; it's our finesse that can allieviate hotspots. Choosing what road and when are critical. Granted that my shoulder escape hatch is not always debris free!

I agree about tapping the brake light a couple of times, as a signal for a sleepy driver behind to start checking for their lane change. Or poss., just hitting the flashers 3 times max. right when that change lane info needs to hit their brains. I have been doing this for years.. If you mirror drive well enough, 90% of the time you are essentially running the freeway, and you get the actors to change lanes when YOU want them to! It really is a beautiful play if you get it right. Even though we don't agree w their flying type mpg., we can do our best to preserve what little they have by doing our best not to see them get jammed behind us. It does take some practice, and is not for the faint of heart. The post I did on...Are You Visible? explains further tools that may help!

I hope we can all be in peace here my brothers...I think we basically all want the same results!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #88 (permalink)
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
This allowed states to determine maximum and minimum speed limits. If its posted, its illegal to drive above or below it.
impeding traffic here in calif can get you a ticket no matter what your vehicle speed...

it has to do with road conditions

if you have 3 or more vehicles behind you and these vehicles have no other option of getting around you, then you are impeding.

So if there is a second lane in the same direction and they can go around you, then you are not impeding traffic.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Burner - '93 Volkswagen Golf TD GL
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
When I see someone coming down a ramp to merge onto the highway I steer clear of them every time. They may not have a clue what they are doing, and certifiably can't be trusted. I've had too many people come down a ramp and just barge into my lane without even noticing me, some of which would have hit me if I hadn't been closely watching what they were doing and swerved immediately into the next lane over. New drivers are the worst because they are all hot and horny and change lanes as if their current lane is on fire.

I make sure to watch what everyone is doing in a merging situation. Last summer I avoided what could have been a multiple car pileup accident in the merging lane when the guy merging onto the highway in front of me panicked and came to a DEAD STOP on the merging lane. I was shoulder checking and watching my side mirror to merge when I looked up and there he was stationary 10 feet in front of me while I was at highway speed. I never knew a lifted 4x4 truck could do a lane change like that!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #90 (permalink)
The PRC.

Is it really so difficult for people to cooperate on a merge - a perfect merge like a zipper is a wonderful thing - drop back 15 ft - its not like it really hurts is it ? Merging here in the UK is tricky enough but when I have been in the states its like nobody bothers - I MUST BE FIRST.

Funny thing is when I drove at typical "UK" speeds (before I went into Hypermiling) I was passing more people than passed me. One thing I could never work out was morons sitting in the outside lane of an empty highway usually in an SUV more or less forcing me into undertakes all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningDinosaurBones View Post
...I was shoulder checking and watching my side mirror to merge when I looked up and there he was stationary 10 feet in front of me while I was at highway speed. I never knew a lifted 4x4 truck could do a lane change like that!
I like to look forwards when accelerating, its a habit I formed early. Also leaving a gap means you have more time to react, and it allows merging - so a win-win.