Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
and thanks for your warning about Ohio, Michican, and Florida! I posted the above before seeing your posts. If that is how it really is there; now I know which states to boycott on my travels. I've heard of old wife stories from the 60's, that Texas used to push people to go faster via PA from their cars??????
On the turnpike in PA, the absolute min speed is 15mph below posted. Not sure what the penalty is. You can add that to the list.

I loved your rant . Just a few things to consider. You have the option of taking rural routes, lol.

The reason that states have going from the 40/45 (in Michigan it was 45 before 1995 and even for some time after) is a very comprehensive study done (forget the guy's name) that showed the likelihood of an accident increases in magnitude the greater the speed differential. Its something like 1.5x greater at 15 mph difference, 2.5x at 20 mph difference and increases in probability even quicker from there. The difference in driving speed between vehicles is a greater factor in accidents then the posted speed limit according to the study. So as the Max speed raises, so must the min speed if safety is to be maintained.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post

Two - In most states it is also illegal to drive below the speed limit. Doing 50 in a 55 min zone is at least Impeading Traffic, it could be considered reckless driving...
Excuse me, but I looked the Michigan highway code up which you cited to support the above statement, and it says no such thing.
From MCL 257-628 (by the way, the correct citation is 257-628, not 257-268)

"...the maximum speed limit on all freeways shall be 70 miles per hour... The minimum speed limit on all freeways is 55 miles per hour except if reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or in compliance with a special permit issued by an appropriate authority."

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zzs...me=mcl-257-628

Note that this does NOT say everyone has to drive the maximum speed limit unless they have a special permit (your contention).

Not quoted here, but MCL 257-627 also says that any Michigan State road or street with a minimum speed limit must have both the minimum and maximum limits posted. So if you don't see a specific sign for Minimum Speed there is none. The reference for that MCL is:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zzs...me=mcl-257-627

After looking at the actual Michigan law I didn't bother to go to your other references.

Last edited by instarx; 05-31-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
Excuse me, but I looked the Michigan highway code up and it says no such thing.
From MCL 257-628 (by the way, the correct citation is 257-628, not 257-268)

"...the maximum speed limit on all freeways shall be 70 miles per hour... The minimum speed limit on all freeways is 55 miles per hour except if reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or in compliance with a special permit issued by an appropriate authority."

Michigan Legislature - Section 257.628

Note that this does NOT say everyone has to drive 70 mph unless they have a special permit.

Not quoted here, but MCL 257-627 says that any Michigan State road or street with a minimum speed limit must have both the minimum and maximum limits posted. So if you don't see a specific sign for Minimum Speed there is none.
I never said you had to drive 70, I said you have to within the speed limits allowed by your state. Yes I may have mistyped the numbers, but nothing I said was false. I am not sure what you read, but it isn't what I wrote. In reference to the permit I specifically refer to freeways and min of 55 MPH not 70. Though I may have missed stating minimum when I first typed it, I did clarify later. I apologize for that. However, a limit is a limit, it does not imply upper or lower. So the statement is factual.

If it isn't posted there is a whole other set of governing laws, whether you can do 25, 35 or 55. That wasn't the point, also, where posted is an entirely other issue, it can be miles apart. Though none of this was my point.

Like I also said, it varies by state and the laws allow for special situations. What my original post said was, in most states, driving below the minimum speed limit is illegal. In Michigan, Impeding Traffic is the best ticket you can get, so you would be lucky to get that. I said reckless driving, which would be possible, I actually was referring to careless driving. Either one, by legal definition would be applicable depending on the intent of the driver.

From a legal and safely standpoint it is best to review state regulation regarding speed limits.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
By coincidence I had to explain to A-junior why the bike in front of us tonight could not just set off as soon as the light turned - just before the taxi ran the red light going across our path.
Been there, experienced that...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
quazar - you said "In most states it is illegal to drive below the speed limit". That's a quote. Just look at your original post (#59). As far as I can tell, in no state is it illegal to drive below the speed limit.

True, your position in later posts changed to the illegality of driving below a posted minimum speed. Those latter statements are true - it is illegal to drive below a posted minimum speed. However, that was not what you said originally.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #76 (permalink)
Diesel Doer!

Emergency flashers?

DO NOT drive in a traffic lane with your EMERGENCY flashers on! They are not for "warning" and it is illegal in every State to drive with them on. They are intended for emergencies and to warn drivers that you are stopped on the road, just like flares and reflector triangles.

[/rant]
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #77 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ik04 View Post
DO NOT drive in a traffic lane with your EMERGENCY flashers on! They are not for "warning" and it is illegal in every State to drive with them on. They are intended for emergencies and to warn drivers that you are stopped on the road, just like flares and reflector triangles.

[/rant]
Really? once again, do you have proof of your claims?

If it's illegal in every state to drive with your hazard flashers on, why is it required when you can't maintain the posted speed limit?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Where I fully admitted I forgot to mention MINIMUM. That begin said a limit is a boundary or restraint, saying you cannot drive below a boundary does imply definitively I was referring to a lower limit. As in a lot of states, the MAXIMUM limit is posted, if a state had no LOWER OR MIN limit, then there is NONE, thus you cannot drive below it.

Though I understand the confusion since most posted limits are simply upper. However, some states HAVE minimal limits on freeways that date back to the 1950's, some have applied them since. I guess this is news to people but I grew up traveling and knowing that this was a reality. Maybe it was the first time a cop told my dad if he was going to drive that slow (pulling a trailer) he had to do it off the freeway.

Hazard lights are illegal to drive with in some states as well. In Florida for instance (though there is an exception), you are supposed to get off the road if you need to use them. In Michigan they are legal if something is wrong with your vehicle or something has happened that does not allow you to maintain the flow of traffic.

Most of the OMG PROVE it post have been by people who seem not well versed in driving laws and think they are able to drive slow on freeways or use hazards to save fuel and this is not the case. Even if one or two people misspoke, most of what has been said was true. There are states where it is illegal to drive with hazards (not all, but a lot); there are states where there are both upper and lower limits on speed. There are states where one or both of these can result in a ticket.

Safety first, is I right? Not just the safety of yourself, but other drivers as well. There is a lot of research that shows speed differentials and driving with hazards IS DANGEROUS.

Pretty sure that is the main point.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hazard Light Use | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

In case you were interested in how many states.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #80 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I'm going to keep asking for proof of things that are claimed contrary to observed behavior, mostly because if you can't, or aren't willing to prove it, you shouldn't be saying it.

I will also note that just because a cop said it, doesn't make it right, true, or lawful. I've beaten plenty of tickets because on average, cops get away with cranial rectal proximity syndrome on a regular basis, and a bit of research and common sense brings it to light pretty quickly.

Both of you have made blanket statements, such as "most states" or "all states". Those types of statements will ALWAYS be questioned by a rational, logical society, which is precisely the attitude that tends to prevail on this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
UFO (06-01-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread