Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Despite uk.gov wanting to treat anyone filming or taking pics on the street as a terrorist recon unit, it is not illegal here. Also no need for a Helmet cam, just a cheap micro DV from Hong Kong

Mount it in your car and you get vids like this (EDIT - this is not me, just a random vid I found on youtube taken with this type of cheap camera)

I would suspect Mr Plod would not like to be filmed by someone else throughout his arrest. If you happened to pass him when he has stopped someone then thats in public anyway.

At least thats the position here.

Last edited by Arragonis; 08-13-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
It looks like you'd need four cameras, two at a minimum, to cover all possible accident scenarios. Certainly the OP's situation would be invisible to a front-facing camera.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Exactly what I started out looking for.

Then I found ecomodder.com and instead of data logging the project became fuel economy.

Two cameras are a must, side shouldn't be an issue as the blanks are easily filled in from the rear view and front view cameras.

Then you have car data such as brakes, indicators, power steering switch, throttle position, speed, GPS position.
Log all these along with video from front and rear, and you have plenty of data to show what's happened.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Get photos of the skid marks on the ramp? They will belie his story, quite probably. And they are still there. Pick a safe time of day, bring a camera with better resolution than a cell phone, use the optical zoom (not digital zoom) and get a good set of snaps. Take him to court for your expenses, legal, mechanical, and lost work time. Was there a traffic cam anywhere around? Even it is is at a light prior to the ramp, if it shows you both arriving it will show you ahead of him. Don't roll over. If you were driving legally, you will be able to show it. And you will get your costs paid and vindication. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
Yep. No kidding. Happened to me. It has taken me a while to convert from a lead-footer to a more mellow, "focus on the mpg" driver, especially with a turbo hot hatch, but I've been pretty successful, as I think my mpg will attest. I have managed to learn to ignore my fellow impatient Chicago drivers, with their horns, middle fingers, and glaring looks for doing something as offensive as driving at the speed limit, in the right lane. Another of the learned techniques I use to help increase the mpg is easy acceleration, upshifting quickly.

Ok, on to the incident. I was merging onto the freeway at morning rush hour (90 westbound, from Foster, for you Chicago area folks). This on-ramp has a light which turns green only long enough to let one car on at a time. As I'm patiently waiting my turn, I happen to glance in the rearview mirror and see a late model silver RAV4 in back of me. As the light turns green for me, I slowly but surely accelerate down the on-ramp lane and check my side view to make sure I had a spot to merge; there was no problem, as I had a good 10 car lengths of space to the first car I saw in back of me on the freeway. As I approach the limit and start my merge, I look to my left just in time to see that silver RAV4's hood inches from my face, as I hear the sickening sound of its wheel grinding down the driver's side of my otherwise pristine Mica Black Mazdaspeed3.

We both pulled onto the shoulder, and as I got out to inspect the damage, (and not particularly calm) I was greeted by the other driver with, "What the hell? Don't you know how to drive, a**hole?" Needless to say, it didn't take much to get me lit up at that point. We had a bit of a yelling match there, for hundreds of commuters' entertainment, until I pointed out to him that he not only had to blow the red light at the on-ramp, but also had to jump the divider to be able to merge and (almost) pass me before I could merge. His reply? (again, not making this up) "I had to pass you because you were merging too slow." Those words. Really. So arguably, my hypermiling technique, along with a bit too much trust in my fellow driver, got me into an accident.

And yes, I know the real reason is that an overly aggressive driver passing an underly defensive driver is what results in many accidents - including this one. Still, if I was driving in my old "foot to the floor" mode...

To add insult to injury, when the state trooper stopped by to check out the scene, she took both of our statements and issued both of us a ticket, since we had conflicting stories. Yep, seems he forgot all about the "you were merging too slow" idea when he realized he was wrong. He actually told her that I came speeding up behind him to merge into traffic.

Moral of the story? Still keep up the hypermiling techniques, but have your cell phone video function ready to record incriminating statements. I didn't think of that until after he made the above comment. I didn't get anything really useful recorded.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Be careful on that one, I doubt plod would appreciate you wandering about on a ramp, for whatever reason.

The cameras I use are apparently as low as $3 on fleabay now so you could get 2. Or if you mount it between the front seats e.g. on a headrest mount, it gets a decent panoramic front view.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
The MD80 mini dv only gets mediocre reviews on Amazon.com. Out of 29 reviews, 11 give it just one star. The consensus seems to be to spend the extra $40 and get the Veho MUVI.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds about right for the Chicago area! I lived and worked there for 20 years, and feel that Hypermiling and Chicagoland don't mix very well.

Drivers are impatient and aggressive.

Bummer what happened, but it may end up as a he-said/she-said situation with no real proof either way.

Jay
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (08-22-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
The MD80 mini dv only gets mediocre reviews on Amazon.com. Out of 29 reviews, 11 give it just one star. The consensus seems to be to spend the extra $40 and get the Veho MUVI.
Yep, if you have the money go for that. But a cheap camera in the car seems like a good thing.

EDIT - I would also give the mini DV's only 2 out of 5 stars myself, but I buy them in pairs because they are cheap and also because they are not, er, reliable...

Last edited by Arragonis; 08-14-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
It looks like you'd need four cameras, two at a minimum, to cover all possible accident scenarios. Certainly the OP's situation would be invisible to a front-facing camera.
Actually it would be visible. The cops claim he was merging into the RAV4, which means he would have had to approach the vehicle! If the car was not in the forward field of view, logic would dictate it was behind his Mazda.

This would be pretty cool to have these video cameras. Maybe in a few years when I can actually afford gas.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
^^^ Excellent observation!

Arragonis, I ordered one of the higher quality MUVIs to experiment with. It may go to my son if I don't like it.

Reply  Post New Thread