Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Great work! From "idea" to "satisfied" in a mere three and a half weeks?!

That has to be some sort of record, right?
Sarcasm? IMO it feels like I took a long time to figure this out and finally implement it. It turned out to be a very simple solution in the end.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
No sarcasm at all. I'm still plotting everything. Instead of acting, I overthink. You thought it quick, worked it out, and implemented it. I'm genuinely impressed.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
No sarcasm at all. I'm still plotting everything. Instead of acting, I overthink. You thought it quick, worked it out, and implemented it. I'm genuinely impressed.
Well thank you very much

Still a few tweeks to do on it. Need to find a way to reinforce it a bit, it is starting to sag in the middle slightly. I also need to add a bit of weight to it so that it closes just a bit later.

I was kind of thinking maybe a very thin coat of fiberglass resin (no glass) might be enough to do both jobs at the same time by adding strength and a bit of weight. Anybody think that this would be a bad approach?

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knightrun - '08 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 31.83 mpg (US)
This is way cool! I wonder if I could rig up something similar with sheet aluminum for the gaping hole in the front of my Mustang?

~SM
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
This is way cool! I wonder if I could rig up something similar with sheet aluminum for the gaping hole in the front of my Mustang?

~SM
Absolutely, it wasn't very hard to make actually. I will take a few more pics of the nearly finished project. I think aluminum might also have the same strength issues I am having, so you may want to find a way to make it more rigid as well. You can either cut away your grill (if it doesn't clip/screw on) like I did to install this, or you can simply install it behind your existing grill (a bit more drag that way I would assume) for a more stock look. If you decide to install it behind your factory grill, I would suggest removing your bumper to make installation easier. It would be pretty difficult to install behind your grill otherwise.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knightrun - '08 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 31.83 mpg (US)
Mustang grilles are actually a bit recessed. I have an aftermarket aluminum one that's ever further back, and it deletes the GT fog lights, so I have a large, mostly flat expanse to work with. Did you already mention what you used to weight the flaps? A thin aluminum bar on the backside of the center area might be enough to stiffen it up, and could serve as the weight (depending on how much weight you need).

~SM
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
Mustang grilles are actually a bit recessed. I have an aftermarket aluminum one that's ever further back, and it deletes the GT fog lights, so I have a large, mostly flat expanse to work with. Did you already mention what you used to weight the flaps? A thin aluminum bar on the backside of the center area might be enough to stiffen it up, and could serve as the weight (depending on how much weight you need).

~SM
Actually right now mine is not weighted other than a few support bars I have running through the coroplast, which didnt do much good (that is what I get for making this thing for free). I used metal coat hangers that I bent straight and ran them through the coroplast from side to side. One on the top, one on the bottom and then one near the middle (a bit closer to the rear) which is used as the hinge point.

I will go outside now to get some pictures.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Ok, so here is the gist of it... I drew this up in Paint in about 5 minutes, so that I wouldn't have to take off the grill block and take it apart to show what is on the inside and how it all worked out. I'm not sure if anybody will understand this drawing, but I hope you get it. It also wouldn't hurt to add a verticle support (like on the sides) to the center. The fishing line is to keep the 2 pivot points (on the rear sides) from backing out of the coroplast without limiting their ability to rotate.

I have attached a few pics of the real thing as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	12772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	12773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	12774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	12776  

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (06-02-2013), Smurf (03-28-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
To fix the sagging and some weight with the what you have I would trim a coat hanger and coat it in glue then push it through the coroplast. You could even bend the coroplast a little against the sag to help hold the shape.

One thing you should check is how the grill works with the fans running at full speed. You do not want to be stuck in 5mph traffic then have the fans turn on pulling the grill shut.

I like the idea and now need to think of some way to do that on the last 2.5ft x1in opening left at the bottom of my bumper.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
To fix the sagging and some weight with the what you have I would trim a coat hanger and coat it in glue then push it through the coroplast.
That is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?? I will work on that today. I have plenty of fiberglass resin, so I will just dip the rear hangers in that. I will put 2-3 coats on which should give enough stability to the hanger to keep it from bending. Thanks for the suggestion

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Reply  Post New Thread