Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
The PRC.

Blocked my lower one too, hard to see but the left of mine (where your plate is) is blocked already on my facelift Aygo.

We'll see how that goes.

Not sure about the radio mast, I like my radio May go for a shorter one. Also the PAS is electric, so it doesn't work unless its needed ?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
90 day: 63.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Blocked my lower one too, hard to see but the left of mine (where your plate is) is blocked already on my facelift Aygo.

We'll see how that goes.

Not sure about the radio mast, I like my radio May go for a shorter one. Also the PAS is electric, so it doesn't work unless its needed ?
Same with my grill. I just thought it would look better to cover all of it.
PAS?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomor View Post
Same with my grill. I just thought it would look better to cover all of it.
PAS?
PAS= Power Assisted Steering. I believe Arragonis was saying that the power assisted steering uses an electric motor rather than being directly driven by a hydraulic pump mounted to the front end accessory drive, although being that I cannot speak for him, nor have I seen the engine compartment of a Toyota Aygo, I can only go based on my knowledge of how an electric power assisted steering rack could work, either with the motor directly mounted to the steering column, the rack, or driving the hydraulic pump, however in the latter case as well as the former cases there is only any power drawn while turning, and not while going in a straight line, where as the belt driven power steering takes power all the time, even in a straight line, robbing a little bit of fuel economy due to the power it takes to drive the pump all the time.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Farnsworth View Post
PAS= Power Assisted Steering. I believe Arragonis was saying that the power assisted steering uses an electric motor rather than being directly driven by a hydraulic pump mounted to the front end accessory drive, although being that I cannot speak for him, nor have I seen the engine compartment of a Toyota Aygo, I can only go based on my knowledge of how an electric power assisted steering rack could work, either with the motor directly mounted to the steering column, the rack, or driving the hydraulic pump, however in the latter case as well as the former cases there is only any power drawn while turning, and not while going in a straight line, where as the belt driven power steering takes power all the time, even in a straight line, robbing a little bit of fuel economy due to the power it takes to drive the pump all the time.
Yes it is electric and connected to the steering column.
And it "assists" you all the time since you make small adjustments with the steering wheel almost constantly -- at least on my roads. I like the feel better now wich is most important. Anyhow it doesn't use any energy anymore, thus saves petrol.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
The PRC.

I understood from the Toyota place I got George that it only assists at low speeds, but this may have been salesman speak. I shall ask a guru. I do turn my engine off in downhill traffic lines and agree it is light enough not to be needed.

EDIT - Question, I find with George I can get super MPG in lower speeds but as soon as the speed goes over 55 its hard to maintain that.

Last edited by Arragonis; 10-24-2011 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
Quote:
I understood from the Toyota place I got George that it only assists at low speeds, but this may have been salesman speak. I shall ask a guru. I do turn my engine off in downhill traffic lines and agree it is light enough not to be needed.

EDIT - Question, I find with George I can get super MPG in lower speeds but as soon as the speed goes over 55 its hard to maintain that.
It's the same with Igor. I have been thinking a lot about it and how to solve the problem. Aeromodding hasn't helped enough I think. I'm sure the Aygo has been optimized for city traffic. Maybe bigger tyres would lower rpm enough. Continental has 135/70-15 that maybe could be better but everything else is wider than the original 155 and it won't be easy to find narrow 15 inch rims. For now I have to keep speed below 70km/h (=43mph) to get good figures.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #27 (permalink)
The PRC.

Yep - thats what I get too. On my last tank I did one trip (roughly 108 miles, or about 25% of the tank distance) at "normal" speeds - 65-75 and still got over 55 for the trip, and the tank was 62. P&G is only partly a solution as the P part is weak and the G short.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
The PRC.

What kind of distance do you get for the first bar on the fuel gauge to go out from full ? I'm getting 105-125 miles (169 - 201 km).
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
Quote:
What kind of distance do you get for the first bar on the fuel gauge to go out from full ? I'm getting 105-125 miles (169 - 201 km).
Sorry, don't know. I never notice the change from full. The eyes go from UltraGauge to traffic to rpm to UltraGauge to traffic ...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
Lowering (30mm) didn't have much effect on FE. Monday was actually worse than before but today I'm back at 3.36 l/100km (70.0 mpg) wich is a little bit better than before the lowering but within error margins. (Hope I can trust the UltraGauge. I just did a quick first calibration. Next fuelling will give the answer but it's probably a week till then.)

Reply  Post New Thread