Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #101 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
I know poly is a plastic... I was just making sure the guy who said you cant make spacers out of plastic knew I was talking about polyu which is a specific kind incase he didn't understand what type we were talking about.
You mean me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
And the fact that it "has play" does not mean its deforming. It simply means that on a very small scale it has give. Just like all metals do. Its just poly mounts have a little more give than metal mounts.

I don't see any reason why the spacers ive seen on 4x4 trucks couldnt be made by simply taking a disc of poly and drilling it. As long as you drill accurately so it isnt off center I don't think the load would be that great. You only torque wheels down to 80-90ftlbs. As long as it doesnt crack and shear off in pieces it should be ok.
That's what "give" is -- deformation ("play" is space between parts, such as valve lash). Yes, all materials have a modulus of elasticity, but it's absurd to suggest that since all materials deform, there must be no worthwhile difference.

A quick search shows that the hardest polyurethane deforms 80 times more than aluminum (data here and here). Look at the deflection values for polyurethane in the link and you'll see that torquing wheels down will deform polyurethane significantly. Noticeable bulging and deflection happens when you tighten polyurethane sway bar end link bushings. This is why dedicated race cars use rod ends for sway bar links and solid pillow blocks and/or bearings for the frame mounts -- the deflection is significantly reduced when going to metals.

You do get this, whether you consciously realize it or not. After all, you replaced rubber with polyurethane in a number of locations in your drift car, but limited application of aluminum because of aluminum's lack of deflection. Thus, you realize there are significant differences in deflection and deformation between rubber versus polyurethane and polyurethane versus aluminum. If you did not realize this, you would not have gone from rubber to polyurethane in your drift car or proposed the above items, right?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great project Daox.
I'm building my own 3D printer, so then I'll be able to do some similar projects. My printer is still a little rough and ready - but I can print some parts to improve that.
Do you have any details on the urethane that you would be willing to share?
Was it vacuum cast/molded or could it be done normally?

Cheers
Nige.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #103 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Daox, any plans to modify the one you made for OG VX with an additional button?(2 total)

Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #104 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply. I just got back from a missions trip to Mexico this week and have been a bit under the weather since.

riffdex, an armrest is too large to print on this machine. It would be much easier to buy an armrest off ebay or a parts car. The quality would be higher too.

nitro-nige, thanks. The urethane really isn't anything special. Its just a standard 2 part urethane. I got it from:
Casting Resins
I simply made a mold as shown, mixed the urethane, and poured it into the mold. I didn't vacuum it or anything.

I have a couple people interested in knobs. I'll be working on them as time allows. PM me if you are interested in something specific. I'm working on making a 1, 2, and 3 button version with different button types (toggle, momentary on, and momentary off) for each slot. However, next week I'll be out of state for work and won't be able to do any work on 3d parts.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
What kind of printer would it take to print out replacement rockers and quarter panels for a Civic vx?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
Wheel skirt brackets in plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Mr Doax:

I'll take a dozen of these wheel skirt / wheel arch lip attachment doohickeys in plastic... from post #29 (http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post459730) and

From: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...metro-103.html
I think this would be a really helpful item to have in the ecomodder store since they would enable completely reversible mods for wheel skirts and any place where there is low weight attachments to a rim type surface too.

Would ABS be a good choice of material?

1998 Honda Odyssey Build thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post467438

Last edited by benphyr; 02-16-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
button locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post

Cool thought, not sure if it is feasible: Put the emblem on the side by your thumb (where the kill switch is initially, and make the green parts stick out as slightly as heads for the switches. Like on a TV remote, the buttons are not actually the switch but just a soft piece that allows you to activate the switch that is buried somewhere underneath (on a board?). Could do one button in the middle of the E or one in the middle and one as the top curve and one as the bottom curve of the E for those who need/like many buttons. Then the Green E would save you gas!

(I don't have skills with drawing programs so I am hoping this makes sense. If this doesn't make sense let me know.)

I have a friend who used to have a joystick from a Huey (old helicopter) on his Jetta TDI. The buttons were rigged up to navigate the GPS, MP3s and other functions on his laptop in front of the passenger seat! It was a blast to "shift".

1998 Honda Odyssey Build thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post467438
Old 02-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Mr Doax:

I'll take a dozen of these wheel skirt / wheel arch lip attachment doohickeys in plastic, please:
Just posting so I will know when MetroMPG's clips are available.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 AM   #109 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Can't wait for my shifter knob!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Shift knob is working great, Daox! Can't thank you enough for the work it must have taken to make that happen.

In case you guys missed it in the G1 thread, Daox actually took his original idea of the 3D printed shift knob and made it into a 3-button version I currently have installed on Turtle. Made driving the car even more fun!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f613dc57d397bb19380ac32cb9876bf3.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	17044  

Reply  Post New Thread