Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
One would think that the whole reason for this build is to save money through higher mpg. Considering that they have more money in carbon fiber than I have in my Vx that gets 60mpg one would need to drive that for another 20years to realize any savings.
Just saving fuel, for the challenge, isn't enough motivation? It's pretty stupid to increase the power on a street car if you're still going to get between red lights in the same time as a standard car. People do it though. Same thing isn't it? Get the mileage number just because you can, not because it saves money (although that wouldn't hurt either).

The Following User Says Thank You to Occasionally6 For This Useful Post:
Bugzilla (09-06-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Gas mileage may be the intent for now but you gotta think this may turn into a "quick" car later on. Alot of times these cars are purchased by the people working for the magazines and the parts are donated for some advertisement..

After this article is done, I bet this turns into a "cheap" drag or auto x car...

No doubt the word practical here is a complete joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to 02ws6 For This Useful Post:
Bugzilla (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiba View Post
I've total up all the fancy carbon, performance and suspension parts at msrp. Total came up to $6854.98
Holy crap, the aero mods I could do to my car with that kind of money! I could afford to have someone MAKE me a boattail out of fiberglass, have it mounted and painted for that!

The amount of money I financed on my car is less than that by about $5 ($6,850 thanks to trading in the truck), and I still have enough seats for 5 real adults, air conditioning, a CD player with a hookup for my MP3, a spare tire, and doors that will at least stop a moderate impact.

But what do I know, right? I'm only hitting the mid 40's, and my car is definitely not cool.

:P

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
40-60-40 MPH P&G

Echo-P&G - '05 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
90 day: 82.76 mpg (US)
since money is not a problem for them it would be nice if they do more weight reduction mod like, lightweight flywheel, pulley kit, drive shaft, ceramic brake rotor, insight rear brake drum, p/s delete, lithium battery, that would be really nice
Echo-Troll Modding Thread

I know i dont have a very good write-up
no lean-burn? no good gear ratio? p&g is the answer
MPG=1 TIME=0
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kai Spec Motoring VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo-francis View Post
since money is not a problem for them it would be nice if they do
Full carbon fiber body
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #56 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
I support their build, I have and will buy these issues. The reason being:
-It supports our cause
-Helps vx resale
-Gives me ideas (the dash mount)
-Its similar to my own build

Say what you want about the cf, but other lightweight parts are available cheap used (paid $200 for my 1 piece front end with similar weight reduction).

-Aaron

Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #57 (permalink)
lead foot

WOW, some of you guys have worse egos that the ricer kids that build their cars in this fashion, I have never been MORE interested in a tuner article, not because they know any better but because of the fact they are trying..... You guys dogging them for the money spent for the CF obviously are not car freaks, but MPG freaks.... I fit somewhere in the middle, I look here (ecomodder) for scientific, common sense ways on improving milage..... but I would never put an ugly boat tail on my ride, I would also add 100 pounds of stereo to my ride.... different strokes for different folks, right..... You guys should feel awesome that this is going on, I would like to see a car that can get 70+ mpg AND 13.xx quarter mile times. I also seem to notice ecomodders are aero experts but generally don't know much about engine tuning. Not only am I very curious about how the Hondata works out, but I also wonder what could be done with a high resolution computer like a motec and super light con rods/ crank work/ pistons etc.

Last edited by BongoBennie; 11-07-2013 at 11:22 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BongoBennie For This Useful Post:
1slw4dr (01-14-2014), drees (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Coma - '99 Toyota Tacoma XCab V6 4x4
90 day: 16.98 mpg (US)
My only gripe....

They say all the mods are for the purpose of saving gas, however they also state that many of these mods are not intended for street use (off-road only).
What the heck is the point of saving some gas and trying to get a few more MPG out of her if you can't even drive it on the street!?!?!?

Advertising "gas-saving" mods to people who cannot incorporate them on street-driven vehicles.... FAIL!

And who cares about saving gas on a racecar?
Generally, mods geared towards racing are definately counterproductive to gas-savings. The only commonality is weight savings...

Definately sales gimmick...
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #59 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
"different strokes for different folks"

That quote totally negates the need for a rant. Some people would spend 6k on body parts some would not. I think most people would agree that these articles are a good thing.

Personally I like parts of it and I dislike some other parts in it. I think tuning is a very cool area to play with especially with lean burn engines. There are some tuners on this site that run mega squirt and such. Username pgmfi runs a turbo talon or eclipse with lean burn and still runs 10s or 9s I believe. Username mugen tunes and sells lean burn honda ecus. Username turbovr4 used one in a 6th gen hatch and achieved 70 mpg tanks with a stock extremely clean look. I'm sure there are plenty more that's what I can think off the top of my head.

Also I do like the idea of internal modifications to rotating parts. There def is a limited amount of info on that from what I've seen. Sometimes I wish I had a machine shop at my disposal to toy around with that stuff.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
lead foot

First off, Coma, MPG is a huge deal for racing cars, Le Mans, F1, Indy and NASCAR depend hugely on efficiency. Second, the reason these things are listed as off road is for liability/legal reasons, Ill bet more than half of the ecomodded cars are illegal too so that point is invalid..... and as far who cares about MPG in a performance car?? I DO..... MPG is performance just like a lap time, I doubt anyone is on here because that are poor and can afford gas, most are here to bench race (talk crap) just like the tuner crowd does in their world.

There is an old saying in racing.... "Fast IS Efficient" there is more in common with lets say an NSX and an Insight, than either car vs an accord. I'm here trolling ecomodder, not to save gas or the world, but to make my car FASTER without burning more fuel.

Last edited by BongoBennie; 11-07-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
$$$, civic vx, fartcan muffler, import tuner, project sipper, ricer