Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2020, 03:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am sure that Kevin will take any good opportunity that he can find to earn money. I previously shared ten or twelve ways that he specified in a video.

Would he make more money focusing on one job?

I do not have any idea, but I am sure that he does the math first.

I believe that he does give a good amount of free information. By my math, neither 3d scanning nor real estate make sense in my county. I am sure that some realtors do well out here, but I do not believe that "Knocking on every door on a paved road in my county" is a good business plan.

However, if someone considered this in a more populated area I would help them research.

I have shared some of his videos about remodeling. Makeovers? Remodeling sounds like it potentially involves far larger projects than he usually tackles.

I would like to do several of the projects that he showed.

I think that he is worth watching, but I would advise against following Internet suggestions without doing your homework.

Meanwhile, I continually campaign against Robert Kiosaki. I probably shared this before: John T. Reed's analysis of Robert T. Kiyosaki's book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Part 1

At one point Kiyosaki compared "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" to "Harry Potter."
Both are works of fantasy.
Somewhere in that incredibly-detailed analysis Reed quoted Kiosaki:

Quote:
Can buy $75,000 house for $20,000 or less at bankruptcy auction or “on courthouse steps” with five hours work
Reed says that in reality,
Quote:
Elias, Renauer, and Leonard, authors of How to File For Bankruptcy, say a typical home sells for 10% to 30% below market value, not the 73% “or more” less that Kiyosaki would have you believe. My book How to Buy Real Estate for at Least 20% Below Market Value has over 166 actual case histories of bargain purchases, including some involving bankruptcy and “courthouse steps.” Few of them involve 73% discounts. Those that do are almost all sheriffs’ sales, which Kiyosaki does not mention.
The late, longtime California foreclosure millionaire Paul Thompson said he saw one or two deals per year, out of about 1,200, with this sort of discount, but never one that could be had for only five hours work.
Or does Reed really make his money from teaching other people how to make money? I doubt that "How to Write, Publish, and Sell Your Own How-To Book" flies off of the shelves, but he does not make any promises, only seemingly-realistic claims. He also recommends books by seven different authors When was the last time that you saw someone recommend someone else's product?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am sure that Kevin will take any good opportunity that he can find to earn money. I previously shared ten or twelve ways that he specified in a video.

Would he make more money focusing on one job?
He does have one job - selling people the idea that they can get rich without putting in the time or work. Just like Robert Kiosaki but instead of selling a book and a lecture series he is selling YouTube videos and online course.

I've read Rich Dad Poor Dad. I does have a couple of good concepts along with the get rich quick with other people's money schemes. The best one is: Don't live on the principal of your investments live on the earnings.

The best finance books I've read are:

The Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey
The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley, Ph.D. and William D. Danko, Ph.D.
Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin.

None are the perfect formula but each has important ideas.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have watched dozens of Kevin's videos, but clearly you have watched far more. Therefore it must be easy for you to give one specific quote where he claims that you can "get rich without putting in the time or work."
Old 04-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

I don’t need to watch a bunch of his videos to see the telltale signs. OK, he had an idea. Why isn’t HE doing it? Anyone selling his plan instead of working his plan is highly suspect. Notice he says: “If I were to start this business” and “I would do X” and “You could do Y”.

Again, if he can buy a $5000 camera and make $269,000 a year working only 900 hours a year why isn’t HE doing it? Why not scale that up to close to full time and make $500,000 a year instead of making YouTube videos? If it really is so simple why not do it himself instead of letting the world in on his little secret money making scheme?

This is why:

Quote:
According to Paffrath, he didn’t set out to become a YouTube star; he just wanted to promote his various business ventures, from landlording to selling houses. Over time, however, his channel has grown to almost 200,000 subscribers, fueled by a relentless schedule of posting videos multiple times a week, with provocative titles like “The Fastest Way to Become Rich with Real Estate” and “The REAL Reason Women are Poorer than Men.” (Spoiler: it’s the wage gap.)
https://www.curbed.com/2019/11/15/20...state-landlord

It is all about the YouTube. Getting clicks by telling people they can get rich without putting in the effort.

BTW, he has a new video on making money with the Matterport camera.

Now maybe he just wants to help you and his other followers out. Or maybe it is part of the #Matterport social media campaign and a provocative video title to get you to click so he can show you links of what he is selling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meet Kevin.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	27855  
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
67-ls1 (09-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
If there is a men to women pay gap where women make 70% to 80% of what men make then why doesn't someone build a women only company, pay all the employees 85% to 90% of what men make and destroy everyone in that industry?

Last edited by oil pan 4; 04-07-2020 at 02:15 PM..
Old 04-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
“The REAL Reason Women are Poorer than Men.” (Spoiler: it’s the wage gap.)
Disqualifying statement right there.

Having your mouth open in the thumbnail kills the deal for me.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

I refused to watch videos that had reaction faces in the thumbnails for a while, but like click bait, it is something that nearly everyone does.

JSH, have you watched any of Kevin's videos? Also, you never provided one specific instance where he said that you could get money without work. If he did I would share it and the problems that I found.

I shared that video back in #10.

He exaggerates things. His titles are clickbait.

He has the $5,000 3d camera and he has shown it in multiple videos. He has shown how to use it in two. His videos only generate maybe 50,000 views. I doubt that anyone would give him something so expensive. There wouldn't be an ROI.

He says that he sells 3D scans. I think that he will take any opportunity to make good legitimate money--especially during TPgate.

I put off responding to this 1) because I needed to catch up with work, but 2) because I felt that I would come across more contentiously than I want.

Then I got interrupted before I finished.
JSH, I hope that you and yours are safe, but may the bird of paradise fly up freebeard's nose!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Can't we all just get a bong?

Felix Rex stitched together some drone shots and street scenes with high production values in Rome, ITALY | City, Perspectives & Historic Echos. Some of it is pretty gorgeous.

It will probably sell some T-shirts.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Don't make me chase you down with a sock with a tennis ball in it!

[I used the nickels in the self-serve register]
Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
JSH, have you watched any of Kevin's videos? Also, you never provided one specific instance where he said that you could get money without work. If he did I would share it and the problems that I found.
I watched the make $269,000 a year working only 900 hours you linked. There are massive problems with his plan. The biggest:

1. You can go from 0 to 300 of these a year
2. Each gig will only take 3 hours of your time
3. You can sell this package for $900

The reality is more like: You can buy a $5000 camera, hustle to get maybe one gig a week, you will need take time from your real job to do this because realtors show houses on the weekends and you want to do these scans in the daytime so the house doesn't look like a cave. Also you will need to drop everything you are doing when you land a gig because every homeowner expect their property to be listed in a day. You will be lucky to sell this package for $300 - $400 so after 2-3 years you will have paid of the $5000 camera that he recommended you buy on a credit card. The idea that you can sell still photos of the house for $300 and a 6 second drone video for $200 is nuts.

However "Buy this $5,000 camera on a credit card and break even in 3 years of working 1 day a week doesn't generate the clicks.

Quote:
He has the $5,000 3d camera and he has shown it in multiple videos. He has shown how to use it in two. His videos only generate maybe 50,000 views. I doubt that anyone would give him something so expensive. There wouldn't be an ROI.
Does he have a $5,000 camera? He says he does but he could just as easily borrowed it for a day to shoot the video. That stuff happens all the time. 10 years ago back when I was a Product Manager for a line of utility vehicles we would loan them out to sportsman shows free of charge with the stipulation that a couple of good shots make it into the final video. The name of the game is product placement.

A quick search say 50,000 youtube views are worth about $71. This page says he averaged 97K views per video and did 55 videos in the last month. $140 per video x 55 videos = $7,700 a month. Not bad but also not the $269,000 he says he could make working only 900 hours a year doing 3D house scans.

https://hypeauditor.com/youtube/kevi...UA/?source=imh

Quote:
JSH, I hope that you and yours are safe, but may the bird of paradise fly up freebeard's nose!
Thank you and same to you. However, I wish no harm come to Freebeard. He keeps things lively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-15-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread